Sandy's Impact on the MBTA

Discussion relating to commuter rail, light rail, and subway operations of the MBTA.

Moderators: CRail, sery2831

Re: Sandy's Impact on the MBTA

Postby 3rdrail » Sat Nov 03, 2012 6:42 pm

Hey Rob - 520 is absolutely correctomundo. They use diesels. I was shooting the BMT a few years back at Avenue X Station near Coney Island Shops on the BMT. In came a worktrain headed up by diesels manned by a motorman and conductor, both attractive females, who blew their horn while smiling and waving to me like they were on a Carnival Cruise headed to the Bahamas. Needless to say, I had to get a photo. My only regret is that the ladies inside are not more clear. They have a supply of these little engines which are workhorses. They can get into areas, like you say, where the power is down or in an area where running electrically might be hazardous, such as at an accident scene. They are especially made narrow to fit into the IRT which is the division with the narrowest width specs. I don't think that they come in BMT width. They're still not as good as my Rover. Here's the MTA diesel shot:
http://photos.cityrails.net/showpic/?ph ... ullman0517

Here's my truck:
~Paul Joyce~
[i]Moderator: Toy Trains, Model Railroading, Outdoor and Live Steam

Paul Joyce passed away in August, 2013. We honor his memory and his devotion at railroad.net.
3rdrail

Postby Adams_Umass_Boston » Sat Nov 03, 2012 6:51 pm

Interesting and thanks for sharing Paul,
It still leave the question of what the T would do. Do they have anything like this? I am thinking that if the Red line flooded, those old 1400 could not help out.
Adams_Umass_Boston

Postby 3rdrail » Sat Nov 03, 2012 7:31 pm

I don't know what, if any, resources the T has for getting into a flooded area. If the truth be known, I have a feeling that if I asked that question to them that a gale of laughter would erupt. Maybe I'm wrong. I know that when we needed a high speed pump on the BPD, we'd call Boston Water & Sewer. We had a huge puddle the size of an inground swimming pool during a torrential storm one night that we thought a gangbanger threw a gun into while being chased by the po-po in Archdale. We called them, they came out and had the thing dry as the Sahara in about ten minutes. I'm sure the MBTA would do the same thing. You raise a good issue in that without vehicles with alternate power, it's difficult in such a situation. I suspect that the way that it's handled is to let the water drain naturally to a point where it can be accessed on foot at which time the damage is accessed. I hope that someone tells me that I'm wrong on this but I honestly can't think of anything that could remotely thought of as "alternate" for the subway system.
~Paul Joyce~

Paul Joyce passed away in August, 2013. We honor his memory and his devotion at railroad.net.
3rdrail

Postby Adams_Umass_Boston » Sat Nov 03, 2012 7:36 pm

I thought about it more with the East Boston tunnel, can that even drain on its own? I doubt it. I was amazed the MTA had the equipment car already to go. Hats off to them.
Adams_Umass_Boston

Postby 3rdrail » Sat Nov 03, 2012 11:03 pm

Ships do. (??)
~Paul Joyce~

3rdrail

Postby sery2831 » Sun Nov 04, 2012 1:59 am

Adams_Umass_Boston wrote:Interesting and thanks for sharing Paul,
It still leave the question of what the T would do. Do they have anything like this? I am thinking that if the Red line flooded, those old 1400 could not help out.

The T has ONE diesel loco. And currently it's stationed on the Red Line. When they first got it, it used to be at Wellington.

Also the Green Line has a flat car with a pump.
Moderator: MBTA Rail Operations
sery2831

Postby 3rdrail » Sun Nov 04, 2012 2:11 am

Does it ever come out ?
~Paul Joyce~

3rdrail

Postby Adams_Umass_Boston » Sun Nov 04, 2012 11:34 am

3rdrail wrote:Ships do. (??)

Well I was thinking, and I am assuming the tunnel has pumps, that the deluge would overflow them. Since there is no where for the water to drain being underwater itself, what would they do to remove the water? I guess they would borrow the equipment John mentioned.
Adams_Umass_Boston

Postby Red Wing » Sun Nov 04, 2012 10:40 pm

They must have used something when the Green Line flooded. What did they use?
Red Wing

Postby Disney Guy » Mon Nov 05, 2012 8:11 pm

Not sure what was actually done but, if the distance down is less than 32 feet, they could drop a hose down the ventilation duct in the Commonwealth Ave. median near Kenmore St. and suck the water out.

I would guess that the water was pumped out from several locations including the Blandford St. portal.
(To the theater stage manager) Quit twiddling the knob and flickering the lights while the audience is entering and being seated. (To the subway motorman) Quit twiddling the knob and dinging the doors while passengers are getting off and others are waiting to board.
Disney Guy

Previous

Return to Massachusetts Bay Transportation Authority (MBTA)