Short MBCR Commuter Rail Train

Discussion relating to commuter rail, light rail, and subway operations of the MBTA.

Moderators: CRail, sery2831

Postby MACTRAXX » Tue Apr 05, 2005 2:30 pm

Guys: Is there a nickname for the MBTA bilevel cars? I'll coin one myself: FLOAT(S) I find it interesting that only the South side service gets the bilevels. Is there still clearance problems on the North side lines? Anything specific? I recall the one about the Wellington Tunnel-the F40 horns originally would not clear - Is this still true? MACTRAXX
EXPRESS TRAIN TO NEW YORK PENN STATION-NO JAMAICA ON THIS TRAIN-PLEASE STAND CLEAR OF THE CLOSING TRAIN DOORS
MACTRAXX

Postby Porter Sq » Tue Apr 05, 2005 2:59 pm

The 8:25 out of Lowell this morning was short 4 cars usually 5. A side note after we left Anderson we were going really slow but begain to pick up speed around Mishuwam. I had my head turned and I look back and we are racing the Downeaster on the opposite track.It took a Min for the Downeaster to pass us then we had to stop before Winchester for the signal to clear because the Downeaster had used the crossover there.No problems to report other than being 3 mins late.
Porter Sq

Postby MBTA F40PH-2C 1050 » Tue Apr 05, 2005 8:27 pm

Porter Sq wrote:The 8:25 out of Lowell this morning was short 4 cars usually 5.
so it was a one car train, i think you meant it was 4 cars instead of 5?
MBTA F40PH-2C 1050

Postby Porter Sq » Wed Apr 06, 2005 8:55 am

Sorry you are right we had 4 instead of 5 cars.
Porter Sq

Postby Stephen » Wed Apr 06, 2005 11:28 am

MACTRAXX
I find it interesting that only the South side service gets the bilevels. Is there still clearance problems on the North side lines?

No. The bi-levels are kept on the south side due to ridership levels.
The clearances on the North side lines were fixed prior to the North Station rebuild. They had shortened platforms during this construction, so they used bi-levels to maintain total seat capacity. Since that project was completed, they have been used almost exclusicely on the south side.

- Stephen
Stephen

Postby CRail » Thu Apr 07, 2005 7:13 am

Clearance was never an issue for the kawasaki's as they are the same as the engines.

never heared about the horn thing though, thats pretty funny. the "k-cars" being on the south, like stephen said, is strictly due to ridership being greater on the south side. Frankly, if i get on the north side, than the south side can keep all of them as far as im concerned. Walking through a flat set is much nicer than going up and down stairs the whole way through.
Moderator: Massachusetts Bay Transportation Authority
Avatar:3679A (since wrecked)/3623B (now in service as 3636B).
CRail

Previous

Return to Massachusetts Bay Transportation Authority (MBTA)