Forest Hills-Dedham-Walpole Streetcar Line Questions

Discussion relating to commuter rail, light rail, and subway operations of the MBTA.

Moderators: CRail, sery2831

Re: Forest Hills-Dedham-Walpole Streetcar Line Questions

Postby Teamdriver » Sun Dec 23, 2012 4:48 pm

OK my Rail ,I see by the date , 1984 ,and I was thinking much earlier. I used to plow out of the yard in the background though , 1970 ish. But here's some Egelston for you ,
http://www.flickr.com/photos/cityofbost ... otostream/
Attachments
Egelston 2.jpg
http://www.jphs.org/picture/1940%20egleston%20square.jpg?pictureId=1052091&asGalleryImage=true
Egelston 2.jpg (48.29 KiB) Viewed 1183 times
Egelston 1.jpg
Egelston 1.jpg (171.22 KiB) Viewed 1183 times
Teamdriver

Postby highgreen215 » Sun Dec 23, 2012 9:31 pm

That first photo was interesting to me, 3rd rail, as I never saw that particular track configuration - probably when
I was living elsewhere.
highgreen215

Postby highgreen215 » Sun Dec 23, 2012 9:37 pm

Love that Egleston track pattern.
highgreen215

Postby Arborwayfan » Mon Dec 24, 2012 11:47 pm

Thanks, 3rdRail. The tracks in the first picture aren't the spot I was imagining, but from the date and your description, I think they were attached to the ones I was picturing. By 1984, the old granite railroad (NYNH&H, the one you stood on to take the second picture) was demolished and work on the new depressed ROW and OL/CR station had begun, right? And the tracks you showed in picture one got to South Street by going up and over the new RR and OL ROW, parallel to the tracks in the never-used GL station, roughly where the big sidewalk across the street from the never-used GL station is now? Those are the ones I was asking about.

I can remember waiting for my Dad with my Mom at Coca Cola Junction, or sometimes someplace on the other side of the big stone railroad bridge, watching the trolleys go under the arch. I remember how they would come out of the yard, run down Washington Street, and then turn towards the stone arch under the railroad. I never happened to see them on the tempoary alignment you photographed in 1984; I guess for a few years I didn't to to that part of the Forest Hills Station area. Thanks for the memory and the information.
Arborwayfan

Re: old Forest Hills-Dedham-Walpole street car line

Postby Cosmo » Tue Dec 25, 2012 10:40 pm

3rdrail wrote: (I had the pizza guy go out in the middle of the storm to measure it for me. I told him that my name was Cosmo.)

This is why we can't take you nice places with us, Paul. :razz:
"It belongs in a MUSEUM!"
-Indiana Jones
Cosmo

Postby Cosmo » Tue Dec 25, 2012 11:04 pm

highgreen215 wrote:Where in today's Westwood (Islington?) was Westwood Park located? I know there was a carbarn where the playground is today at the junction of East St. and Washington St.
Another line ran out the present day Rte 109 to Westwood Center from the Charles River Loop. Was that the same company that ran through Islington? About a mile on the south side of Westwood, on Rte 109, there was a car barn. You can find the site by watching for the collapsed remains of a building with field stone walls next to a gas station.

That was about a bare-mile or so walk from my house growing up.
I always wished there was more of it left than just stone walls.
-Indiana Jones
Cosmo

Postby Cosmo » Tue Dec 25, 2012 11:06 pm

Leo Sullivan wrote:The line on Rte. 109 was the Dedham and Franklin which I think became the Medway and Franklin and was leased to the Milford & Uxbridge. In those days they made poscards of anything so, here is a picture of their carbarn.
LS

Amazing! The extant walls are for the fieldstone building (station?) to the left of the barn. The barn itself was where the SUNOCO station is now.
(Wonder why I never noticed that before?)
-Indiana Jones
Cosmo

Postby 3rdrail » Tue Dec 25, 2012 11:47 pm

Cosmo wrote:This is why we can't take you nice places with us, Paul. :razz:

Shamefully, I'm aware of that. I'm even told that I'm persona non grata at the Flying Yankee Restoration Society's Galas. :-(
~Paul Joyce~
[i]Moderator: Toy Trains, Model Railroading, Outdoor and Live Steam

Paul Joyce passed away in August, 2013. We honor his memory and his devotion at railroad.net.
3rdrail

Postby Cosmo » Wed Dec 26, 2012 1:27 pm

3rdrail wrote:
Cosmo wrote:This is why we can't take you nice places with us, Paul. :razz:

Shamefully, I'm aware of that. I'm even told that I'm persona non grata at the Flying Yankee Restoration Society's Galas. :-(

What a shame. I hear they are quite the spectacle. Oh well...
Thank you all for this thread and the groovy stuff herein. As soon as I saw "Westwood" in the title I had to read it all the way through in one sitting.
As I mentioned previously, I'm familiar with the location of the old car-barn, and I used to take the 34-E all the time from Norwood into FH.
I remember the Dedham Line spot where I could tell there was something significant, even so many years later, that tied it into the trolley era.
I remember the Arborway trains and was lucky to have ridden them, often taking the direct transfer from 34-E to the trolley.
Good times, good memories.
-Indiana Jones
Cosmo

Postby highgreen215 » Fri Dec 28, 2012 3:12 pm

Re Coca Cola Junction. I never heard of that location but I think I can guess where it was. Just as the streetcars turned right onto South Street, after coming from under the stone arch bridge, there was a little variety store on the left. It was the end unit of a brick apartment building at the corner of South Street and the Arborway. Until very recently you could still see a large Coca Cola ad painted on the end wall. About six months ago the ad was completely obliterated and the long-vacant store was rehabbed as an apartment unit. Was that Coca Cola Junction?
highgreen215

Postby Arborwayfan » Fri Dec 28, 2012 4:39 pm

Re Coca-Cola Junction: it was between the stone arches and the Forest Hills El station, next to the cab stand, by the Coke sign in the middle of this picture (http://theelevated.org/tagged/STATION/page/6). I don't know if it was a real name, or just the name my Dad gave it because of the ad for Coke. I remember the store you mention on South Street and Arborway, but only after it closed.

We would wait either near where South Street comes down from the State Lab/Arboretum and joined the old rotary, up the hill from the arches (http://www.jphs.org/display/ShowPicture ... lSize=true) , or down at the spot I've described, near the cab stand. Both places had good views, but of different stretches of track.
Arborwayfan

Postby Teamdriver » Fri Dec 28, 2012 5:06 pm

Just as the cars came onto South street after winding through the curves from the station , on the right was the American Legion Post. The Coke place ,as A fan has said , was across from Forest Hills station against the bank of the NHRR tracks, not sure if it was Washington street there , as it was on the other side of the station ( think of Slattery's and Concannon's gin mills ). They had stacks of Coke in the glass bottles and wooden cases for sale.
Teamdriver

Postby highgreen215 » Fri Dec 28, 2012 7:16 pm

Well I guess that solves the Coca Cola Junction question. I was seldom on the outside of Forest Hills station In those days, usually waiting for the CHARLES RIVER car inside. Once and a while a Pierce Bus Lines (cream and green?) Flxible would come through for Milford passengers.
highgreen215

Postby 3rdrail » Fri Dec 28, 2012 7:46 pm

Yeah, that guy must have been a distributor of Coke as he had a whole display up on it's side with the heavy wooden pallets as you have said. I wished that I had purchased a few of those pallets as they would be valuable antiques now in the age of plastic. That was Wash/The Arborway as Washington was on both sides of Forest Hills Station (Hyde Park Ave. started at Tower St.). As a kid, I drove cab for Forest Hills and our stand was the driveway to the old Forest Hills railroad station just a little way down from Coca Cola Junction. We'd move up in line as fares got in the cabs and a new arrival upstairs on the El invariably would give us multiple fares who would jump into a cab rather than wait it out for a bus, particularly on cold nights. As cab gigs went, it was a fairly decent job with fairly well tipping customers and a fast turnover. I never got robbed.
~Paul Joyce~
[i]Moderator: Toy Trains, Model Railroading, Outdoor and Live Steam

Paul Joyce passed away in August, 2013. We honor his memory and his devotion at railroad.net.
3rdrail

Postby Teamdriver » Sat Dec 29, 2012 9:30 am

That was before Archdale bloomed, my Rail !
Teamdriver

PreviousNext

Return to Massachusetts Bay Transportation Authority (MBTA)