Forest Hills-Dedham-Walpole Streetcar Line Questions

Discussion relating to commuter rail, light rail, and subway operations of the MBTA.

Moderators: CRail, sery2831

Re: Forest Hills-Dedham-Walpole Streetcar Line Questions

Postby Teamdriver » Sat Dec 29, 2012 10:01 am

Here is a link to a story on the embankments of the NHRR tracks,including Forest Hills , and the location of the Coke stand , and Rail's hack stand......

The Raising of the Railroad Tracks - Part V :
http://rememberjamaicaplain.blogspot.co ... art-v.html
Attachments
Steel Arch at Forest Hills.JPG
Steel Arch at Forest Hills.JPG (115.99 KiB) Viewed 1317 times
Teamdriver

Postby 3rdrail » Sat Dec 29, 2012 10:06 am

Archdale has never been a major problem. The two projects on either side of it, Beechland and Metcalf Court (the former JP Car House) would put it to shame. At the time of my taxi career, Beechland is where the smack was coming from and we had a lot of jobs up there. At the time, there was a pandemic with cab robberies with many drivers winding up seriously injured, some dead. Later, even as a police supervisor, I was rarely up at Archdale but always up at the other two.
~Paul Joyce~
[i]Moderator: Toy Trains, Model Railroading, Outdoor and Live Steam

Paul Joyce passed away in August, 2013. We honor his memory and his devotion at railroad.net.
3rdrail

Postby Teamdriver » Sat Dec 29, 2012 5:18 pm

Dont know if this should go here, but nevertheless, from the movie " Sidewalk Memories", watch for the old trolleys on Bule Hill ave ,they appear a few times, and it is an interesting little clip to boot , Simco's included too, mmmmm........

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z4P9b4El ... r_embedded
Teamdriver

Postby MarkB » Sat Dec 29, 2012 6:04 pm

I know it says 'at Forest Hills' in the print caption, but Forest Hills had a granite bridge over the Arborway. This looks more like the outbound side of Boylston station.

Teamdriver wrote:Here is a link to a story on the embankments of the NHRR tracks,including Forest Hills , and the location of the Coke stand , and Rail's hack stand......

The Raising of the Railroad Tracks - Part V :
http://rememberjamaicaplain.blogspot.co ... art-v.html
MarkB

Postby highgreen215 » Sat Dec 29, 2012 6:48 pm

I understand things have improved dramatically at Metcalf, and Washington-Beech has all attractive new buildings. I remember the Jamaica yard. The car house was gone by then, but there was a passenger shelter perpendicular to South St. commonly with a Type 5 sitting there waiting to go to Dudley.
highgreen215

Postby 3rdrail » Sat Dec 29, 2012 8:23 pm

MarkB wrote:I know it says 'at Forest Hills' in the print caption, but Forest Hills had a granite bridge over the Arborway. This looks more like the outbound side of Boylston station.

Arborway overpass had granite block columns also. I go with Boylston also. And you are correct Kev, Asticou was a metal overpass but it was south of the one pictured in the drawing out of sight.
~Paul Joyce~
[i]Moderator: Toy Trains, Model Railroading, Outdoor and Live Steam

Paul Joyce passed away in August, 2013. We honor his memory and his devotion at railroad.net.
3rdrail

Postby highgreen215 » Sun Dec 30, 2012 7:56 pm

Simco's is still there. But the sign no longer says "on the bridge" as the modern bridge is nearly invisible to motorists. Those Type 5s look to be moving right along. One thing about boarding a Type 5 in the winter, they were always cozy warm inside.
highgreen215

Postby MBTA1016 » Sun Jan 13, 2013 11:11 pm

Leo Sullivan wrote:To continue south from Paul's information, as far as I know, except for center of road operation through
Dedham center and Norwood and under the NYNH&H overpass, the line was side of the road almost entirely on the east side.
The arrows just show the direction of the numbers showing distance from base datum.
LS

Leo, nice pic of the tower while the resturant was still there. The tower is all that's left today with what I think is the restaurants foundation as well. There is a fence around the property as well, just a side note the railroad bridge that was there got torn down a while ago and the bank next to it had the parking lot expanded towards the ROW. I remeber a few years ago you could walk up to the bridge from the parking lot and see rails still in the ground. I missed a lot of railroad history in east walpole and i live just minutes from Washington st.
Josh.W
Formally mbta fan
WE ARE BOSTON, WE ARE BOSTON STRONG

Flicker: http://www.flickr.com/photos/116905626@N06/
Blog: http://jpwilkinson2448.blogspot.com/?m=1
MBTA1016

Previous

Return to Massachusetts Bay Transportation Authority (MBTA)