"Behind the scenes" tour of South Station

Discussion relating to commuter rail, light rail, and subway operations of the MBTA.

Moderators: CRail, sery2831

"Behind the scenes" tour of South Station

Postby BostonUrbEx » Sat Oct 20, 2012 8:55 am

From Twitter:

@SouthStationBOS: "Take a free behind the scenes guided tour of Boston’s busiest train station on Thursday, 10/25 at 1 pm. Sign up @ South Station Concierge."

I'd check it out, but I'm busy. I'm sure someone from here will. Just make sure to bring a camera, who knows what you'll see.
BostonUrbEx

Re: "Behind the scenes" tour of South Station

Postby diburning » Sat Oct 20, 2012 7:02 pm

Sweet! I'd totally go!
diburning

Postby ThinkNarrow » Sat Oct 20, 2012 8:14 pm

If this is the same tour that I took a few months ago, I should warn you that it is more building-oriented than railfan-oriented. The very nice lady who gives it is in love with the building and bubbles with enthusiasm. You'll enjoy the tour and learn a lot, but you won't be going into any non-public areas.

John
ThinkNarrow

Postby dbperry » Sun Oct 21, 2012 9:27 pm

One of the Railfan organizations occasionally arranges for tours. I went on one about 10 years ago...
http://photos.nerail.org/showpic/?photo ... ey=dbperry

Either Mystic Valley Railway Society or Mass Bay Railroad Enthusiasts organized that one. Can't remember which.
dbperry

Postby CircusFreakGRITZ » Tue Oct 23, 2012 11:01 am

According to a sign posted in South Station, the tour occurs 1-2 times per week. You can sign up at the South Station concierge desk.
CircusFreakGRITZ

Postby diburning » Tue Oct 23, 2012 1:22 pm

I asked about it this morning. It is indeed that same public building tour (nothing "behind the scenes" about it) with no emphasis on trains.
diburning

Postby 3rdrail » Tue Oct 23, 2012 3:05 pm

I don't know anything about the tour, never having taken it, but if the tour is more than a just an advertisement for the T, it could be very interesting. If you were able to get downstairs near where the old loop was or over by the post office annex that used to be part of the station, it could be interesting in hearing stories of the past and possibly things that are ahead. It could be a "take the T' spiel designed for your average non-train buff, and if so, maybe you might want to stay home and pet your pet monkey, but if it takes you into other areas that you wouldn't be alloqwed to see, it might be worth your time. Let's send The Egg as a scout. He can roll in and out stealthily and no one will notice !
~Paul Joyce~
[i]Moderator: Toy Trains, Model Railroading, Outdoor and Live Steam

Paul Joyce passed away in August, 2013. We honor his memory and his devotion at railroad.net.
3rdrail

Postby jcpatten » Wed Oct 24, 2012 1:29 pm

I did the tour back in July. Some interesting history about the building, some admiration of its architecture, and so forth. The only "behind the scenes" you get is a piece of wall torn out somewhere out of the way that shows the piers the station is built on.

I would like a railfan's tour of the building, myself.
jcpatten

Return to Massachusetts Bay Transportation Authority (MBTA)