Accident at Brigham Circle

Discussion relating to commuter rail, light rail, and subway operations of the MBTA.

Moderators: CRail, sery2831

Re: Accident at Brigham Circle

Postby typesix » Wed Oct 10, 2012 7:33 am

Here's a picture of the two cars:

http://bostonherald.com/news/regional/v ... 1061166296

A similar incident occurred in the 1980s in same area when a Picture Window PCC hit another PCC going in the opposite direction. Vandal(s) had tampered with the switch and the Picture Window operator did not read the rail.
typesix

Postby jr145 » Thu Oct 11, 2012 7:21 am

Witnesses said it sounded like a “big bang.”

No kidding..... Some real hard hitting journalism right there.
jr145

Postby CircusFreakGRITZ » Thu Oct 25, 2012 3:26 pm

So rumor has it that trains are now operating through to Heath Street on weekends. This change went into effect after this incident at Brigham. I have been on the road for work and don't live near Huntington Ave at the moment. Can anyone confirm?
CircusFreakGRITZ

Postby boblothrope » Fri Oct 26, 2012 1:01 pm

CircusFreakGRITZ wrote:So rumor has it that trains are now operating through to Heath Street on weekends. This change went into effect after this incident at Brigham. I have been on the road for work and don't live near Huntington Ave at the moment. Can anyone confirm?

I saw several trains in the Brigham-Heath segment last weekend.
boblothrope

Postby BostonUrbEx » Fri Oct 26, 2012 2:56 pm

CircusFreakGRITZ wrote:So rumor has it that trains are now operating through to Heath Street on weekends. This change went into effect after this incident at Brigham. I have been on the road for work and don't live near Huntington Ave at the moment. Can anyone confirm?

This is true. However, I heard it was entirely unrelated the accident a couple weeks ago.

The MBTA is experimenting with reinstating all weekend service to Heath St without adding any trains to the schedule (so, longer headways).
BostonUrbEx

Postby CircusFreakGRITZ » Sat Oct 27, 2012 9:30 am

This is good news. We all know that eliminating the Brigham-Heath segment was a farse to begin with. Maybe instead of short-turning at Brigham and holding trains for ten minutes, the operators could just run to Heath and then back to Brigham, then continue WITHOUT STOPPING back into Boston. It's not a revolutionary idea...
CircusFreakGRITZ

Postby F-line to Dudley via Park » Sat Oct 27, 2012 11:17 am

BostonUrbEx wrote:

This is true. However, I heard it was entirely unrelated the accident a couple weeks ago.

The MBTA is experimenting with reinstating all weekend service to Heath St without adding any trains to the schedule (so, longer headways).

Maybe they're conceding that the "cost savings" were BS anyway because Brigham saves not a single staffer or car vs. Heath.

What weekends may offer an opportunity to do is maybe trial some well-needed stop eliminations. Back of The Hill's existence has been a farce ever since it was added to the schedule in 1989, having nearly a third fewer daily boardings in the Blue Book than the next-least patronized stop on the whole Green Line. Let's finally find out if the world doesn't end by skipping it on weekends. Ditto Fenwood with its uselessly close proximity to Brigham. Heath would be a pretty snappy run only needing to stop in-street at Mission Park and Riverway.
F-line to Dudley via Park

Postby CircusFreakGRITZ » Sat Oct 27, 2012 12:30 pm

F-line to Dudley via Park wrote:
BostonUrbEx wrote:

Maybe they're conceding that the "cost savings" were BS anyway because Brigham saves not a single staffer or car vs. Heath.

What weekends may offer an opportunity to do is maybe trial some well-needed stop eliminations. Back of The Hill's existence has been a farce ever since it was added to the schedule in 1989, having nearly a third fewer daily boardings in the Blue Book than the next-least patronized stop on the whole Green Line. Let's finally find out if the world doesn't end by skipping it on weekends. Ditto Fenwood with its uselessly close proximity to Brigham. Heath would be a pretty snappy run only needing to stop in-street at Mission Park and Riverway.

That's a good point, maybe they should eliminate those stops. I think Fenwood Road gets more ridership than Back of the Hill...but if anything, MBTA should eliminate B stops, not E stops.
CircusFreakGRITZ

Postby F-line to Dudley via Park » Sat Oct 27, 2012 1:54 pm

CircusFreakGRITZ wrote:
F-line to Dudley via Park wrote:
BostonUrbEx wrote:

That's a good point, maybe they should eliminate those stops. I think Fenwood Road gets more ridership than Back of the Hill...but if anything, MBTA should eliminate B stops, not E stops.

BoTH is a pretty pathetic 86 weekday boardings. Fenwood is 343, which is worse than all Green Line stops except fellow should-be-eliminateds Brandon Hall (C), Dean Rd. (C), and South St. (B). Brigham is 2535 weekday boardings only 400 ft. away. I would say the evidence supporting Fenwood's elimination could hardly be any more slam-dunk than that math.
F-line to Dudley via Park

Postby BostonUrbEx » Sat Oct 27, 2012 9:09 pm

And lets not forget that those stops could easily be served by the 39 bus as well. I think if we ever want the E to run to Arborway again, we should face facts that street running stops are going to have to be few and far between.
BostonUrbEx

Postby novitiate » Sat Oct 27, 2012 9:52 pm

Are these stops really such a problem, though? I mean, on the street-running section all stops have to be rung for, so if Back of the Hill's numbers are so low I imagine most trolleys just bypass it anyway. (And it should be noted that while Fenwood is close to Brigham outbound, inbound is a bit more of a walk due to how the platforms are arranged...)

When I see the 39 bus pass the E, it's on the reservation (usually at Longwood)- those turn signals are a killer. (But the T says signal priority will not help, so we should of course trust them... right?)
novitiate

Postby jaymac » Sun Oct 28, 2012 5:27 am

BostonUrbEx » Sat Oct 27, 2012 9:09 pm
...if we ever want the E to run to Arborway again, we should face facts that street running stops are going to have to be few and far between.

To establish my creds as someone with some knowledge of the area, I grew up on Moraine Street, where South Huntington and Boylston end and Centre does a slight dog-leg. Additionally, I went to school at both the Curley and Agassiz before going to Latin.
Once the Arborway route gets beyond South Huntington, the width of the street becomes more constricted, and more and more businesses and their attendant vehicular traffic populate Centre and South Streets. In the last years of steel-wheel service on Centre between the previously mentioned five-way intersection and the Monument and then further on South Street towards the Arborway, double-parking had already had an impact on timely running. Buses do have a maneuverability advantage over streetcars and can get around double-parked vehicles. Additionally, rail and/or wire maintenance effectively would shut down a portion of Centre and South, not winning the T any friends in either the provider or consumer communities. The less rail and overhead there is to maintain, the less costs there are in crews, materials, equipment, and ill will. Just rehabbing rail and wire beyond Heath to reactivate Arborway streetcar service would be its own miniversion of The Big Dig, Part Deux.
The T may currently be in reactive mode about cars going bump in the day at Brigham, but I wouldn't be surprised if it's not already back in anticipatory planning when it comes to liability. Revisiting the maneuverability-of-buses factor, a bus can and will pull to curb- or parked-vehicle-side to pick up or discharge passengers. A streetcar cannot. Impatient drivers can and do pass street-running streetcars on the right, to the hazard of embarkers and debarkers along the outer stretch of Huntington and end of South Huntington. The island-running stretch of Huntington does have increased safety.
Am I glad I grew up with street-running? Absolutely. Do I think returning to it beyond Brigham, even with fewer stops, is a good idea? Absolutely not.
"A white SUV with a roof antenna just might not be a company van."
jaymac

Postby mattl » Sun Oct 28, 2012 2:57 pm

Glad its back at weekends...
Oh, I bet you read a lot of Gordon Wood, huh? You read your Gordon Wood and you regurgitate it from a textbook, and you think you're awesome doing that and how 'bout them apples and all that Gordon Wood business?
mattl

Postby BandA » Mon Oct 29, 2012 1:17 am

BostonUrbEx » Sat Oct 27, 2012 9:09 pm ... Do I think returning to it beyond Brigham, even with fewer stops, is a good idea? Absolutely not.

In order to run "E" to Arborway, you need a convertible rail-road vehicle. This would also allow for "A" Watertown service past Packard's Corner, extending the "Mattapan High Speed Line", or street running past Lechmere (or beyond the Green Line Extension). You could even run Park St to Ashmont via Arborway & Mattapan, or Park St to Harvard via Watertown (instant "urban ring"). Circular routes instead of spokes.

What to call it? In Japan they call it a Dual-Mode-Vehicle, but that term is already used, and Hyrail is trademarked. This is the best current solution: http://gondolaproject.com/2012/03/05/te ... s-busrail/ I like the front, but put a steel drive wheel instead of rubber, and make it the size and style of a PCC.
BandA

Postby CircusFreakGRITZ » Mon Oct 29, 2012 8:25 am

jaymac wrote:
BostonUrbEx » Sat Oct 27, 2012 9:09 pm
...if we ever want the E to run to Arborway again, we should face facts that street running stops are going to have to be few and far between.

To establish my creds as someone with some knowledge of the area, I grew up on Moraine Street, where South Huntington and Boylston end and Centre does a slight dog-leg. Additionally, I went to school at both the Curley and Agassiz before going to Latin.
Once the Arborway route gets beyond South Huntington, the width of the street becomes more constricted, and more and more businesses and their attendant vehicular traffic populate Centre and South Streets. In the last years of steel-wheel service on Centre between the previously mentioned five-way intersection and the Monument and then further on South Street towards the Arborway, double-parking had already had an impact on timely running. Buses do have a maneuverability advantage over streetcars and can get around double-parked vehicles. Additionally, rail and/or wire maintenance effectively would shut down a portion of Centre and South, not winning the T any friends in either the provider or consumer communities. The less rail and overhead there is to maintain, the less costs there are in crews, materials, equipment, and ill will. Just rehabbing rail and wire beyond Heath to reactivate Arborway streetcar service would be its own miniversion of The Big Dig, Part Deux.
The T may currently be in reactive mode about cars going bump in the day at Brigham, but I wouldn't be surprised if it's not already back in anticipatory planning when it comes to liability. Revisiting the maneuverability-of-buses factor, a bus can and will pull to curb- or parked-vehicle-side to pick up or discharge passengers. A streetcar cannot. Impatient drivers can and do pass street-running streetcars on the right, to the hazard of embarkers and debarkers along the outer stretch of Huntington and end of South Huntington. The island-running stretch of Huntington does have increased safety.
Am I glad I grew up with street-running? Absolutely. Do I think returning to it beyond Brigham, even with fewer stops, is a good idea? Absolutely not.

I would have to agree with you. I posted a reply in one of the Arborway threads on here so as not to get off topic too much. See here: http://railroad.net/forums/viewtopic.ph ... 3#p1099273
CircusFreakGRITZ

Previous

Return to Massachusetts Bay Transportation Authority (MBTA)