MBTA Forum Meetup?

Discussion relating to commuter rail, light rail, and subway operations of the MBTA.

Moderators: CRail, sery2831

MBTA Forum Meetup?

Postby jrc520 » Sat Oct 06, 2012 3:31 pm

I'm opening this thread to discuss the idea of a meetup - I think the last two times I can remember this forum gathering was A)three of us who went to the GM Roundtable and B)2004, what was supposed to be the last trip over the Causeway St Elevated. I'm not going to say when or where this should be, but only that we should have one. Discuss!
jrc520

Re: MBTA Forum Meetup?

Postby The EGE » Sat Oct 06, 2012 4:13 pm

I'd definitely be in for this! Just make sure it's somewhere us under-21s can go...
The EGE

Postby jrc520 » Sat Oct 06, 2012 5:43 pm

Oh definitely. To be honest, I was thinking some good pizza, followed by a tour of the system, and who knows, maybe set it up for a bsra presentation night so we could do that too(one full day!) I'm open to any idea mind you. I'd most likely bring what little memorabilia I have too(a BERy map and some tokens).
jrc520

Postby 3rdrail » Sat Oct 06, 2012 8:19 pm

Doyles in JP would be a perfect spot. Good spot just 5 minutes off the Orange Line in the footprint of the El. Good, reasonably priced food, great bar, an old El signal on the wall, and they don't mind if a group mills around and makes a ruckus. If we got lucky, we might have them give us our own section if it were a non-weekend night. Doyles on the weekend would be tough for a group though.
~Paul Joyce~
[i]Moderator: Toy Trains, Model Railroading, Outdoor and Live Steam

Paul Joyce passed away in August, 2013. We honor his memory and his devotion at railroad.net.
3rdrail

Postby BostonUrbEx » Sat Oct 06, 2012 9:13 pm

I'm an avid supporter of Sam LaGrassa's for every meet up for any topic. ;)

But then we're tied to 11-3 on weekdays.

Wherever it is, I'll be sure to go if I can!

jrc520 wrote:I'm opening this thread to discuss the idea of a meetup - I think the last two times I can remember this forum gathering was A)three of us who went to the GM Roundtable and B)2004, what was supposed to be the last trip over the Causeway St Elevated. I'm not going to say when or where this should be, but only that we should have one. Discuss!

I think EGE, myself, and one other person went to the first public touring of BET, the end of 2011.
BostonUrbEx

Postby diburning » Sat Oct 06, 2012 10:23 pm

Sam LaGrassa's is a great place for food, but might be a bit crowded for a meet up. Maybe a place that's suitable for all ages, but also serves alcohol?
diburning

Postby mattl » Wed Oct 10, 2012 10:05 pm

I think Doyle's would be good too, possibly JJ Foleys in the South End on East Berkeley aka Dover St?
Oh, I bet you read a lot of Gordon Wood, huh? You read your Gordon Wood and you regurgitate it from a textbook, and you think you're awesome doing that and how 'bout them apples and all that Gordon Wood business?
mattl

Postby 3rdrail » Wed Oct 10, 2012 11:18 pm

mattl wrote:I think Doyle's would be good too, possibly JJ Foleys in the South End on East Berkeley aka Dover St?

Yup, I'd say Doyle's and Foley's would both be ok if everyone was driving. Foley's is about twice the walk as to Doyle's, it's nearest R/T Stop NE Med, through what can be a dicey area. Doyle's is about half that (@1/4 mile) from Green St. Sta., a relatively safer area with off-street parking. I think that you can huddle inside Doyle's easier also, and if it's not a busy night, they might open up a section just for us.
~Paul Joyce~

Paul Joyce passed away in August, 2013. We honor his memory and his devotion at railroad.net.
3rdrail

Postby diburning » Thu Oct 11, 2012 12:07 am

Well, it's not really a transit oriented place, but Sunset Grill and Tap in Allston is a good place for a meetup. They have plenty of space, and a large menu. They're open to all ages and have more beers on tap than you've ever seen before in your life. They do have a private room off to the side for groups if needed. I have had a gathering there before and they accommodated the ~12 of us very well. <5 minutes walking distance from Harvard Ave or Packard's Corner. Also accessible by the 66 (Harvard Ave at Brighton Ave) and the A Line, aka the 57 (Harvard Ave at Brighton Ave). If you're driving, there is a (often full) free public parking lot across the street as well as metered parking. It's also not in a seedy area.
diburning

Postby Matthew » Thu Oct 11, 2012 7:59 pm

Allston is not a transit oriented place?
Matthew

Postby Teamdriver » Fri Oct 12, 2012 7:37 am

Here is a little history video on Doyle's , ( or as it was also called , Braddock Cafe) . In the beginning of the video, an orange line train passes overhead on the steel. Gerry the elder narrates a little bit of JP history if you continue to watch.It has a colorful history for sure.The Stony Brook has a culvert right behind,as it is still a force to be contended with today by the MBTA.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=pl ... -a4npZTWM0
Teamdriver

Postby 3rdrail » Fri Oct 12, 2012 3:15 pm

The bar at Doyles used to tinkle like sleigh bells with everything vibrating with that rythmic cadence every time a rapid went by on the iron. When they took the El down, Doyles missed it so much that they seriously thought about installing a looped audio tape of the El that would play every ten minutes or so ! (longer on Sundays) All that they needed was a little motion and it would have been better than Jordan's Furniture MOM !
~Paul Joyce~

3rdrail

Postby theseaandalifesaver » Sun Oct 14, 2012 8:21 am

I like the idea of a meet up but I dislike Allston more than any other place on this earth.
theseaandalifesaver

Postby StevieC48 » Mon Oct 22, 2012 9:23 am

Sound like fun let me know
Farewell old friend thanks for the memories.
#4 EBT cars Hawker Siddley 1978-2009

Instructor/Inspector SERY
Member 25 years proud
StevieC48

Postby Eliphaz » Mon Oct 22, 2012 4:16 pm

theseaandalifesaver wrote:I like the idea of a meet up but I dislike Allston more than any other place on this earth.

You have clearly not spent any time in Fitchburg.
Eliphaz

Next

Return to Massachusetts Bay Transportation Authority (MBTA)