MBTA Wikibook

Discussion relating to commuter rail, light rail, and subway operations of the MBTA.

Moderators: CRail, sery2831

Re: MBTA Wikibook

Postby 3rdrail » Sun Oct 14, 2012 12:16 am

You're enthusiastic. That's great and is to be commended. If I may make a suggestion and that is based on looking at your list of companies. First, let me say that my big fear with you as I've indicated, is that this may be a bigger hole than you think that you're stepping into. Having said that, as I see your list of companies, it seems to me that the list is a little irregular in that you've got the companies that interacted with BERy...but you have missed some also...but then again, you have picked up some others like the Providence Co. that did not interact. I think that if you stick with the locals only that you're going to have your hands full as it is. Without including all the basic locals, your compendium is going to look incomplete by the placement of companies outside the local area or out of state. Do you see what I mean ? On the other hand, if you have a lot of information on even one company, perhaps info that is unusual or not widely known, maybe just doing a thorough job with that one company ? Otherwise, look at the companies that I listed and evaluate if you think that you could handle that amount of research. If so, I would advise sticking with those. (By the way, it's Worcester.) And yes, I would be happy to help as best I can.
~Paul Joyce~
[i]Moderator: Toy Trains, Model Railroading, Outdoor and Live Steam

Paul Joyce passed away in August, 2013. We honor his memory and his devotion at railroad.net.
3rdrail

Postby jrc520 » Sun Oct 14, 2012 10:59 am

You know, the more I look at some maps I've sourced online, the more I think I'll start with the Eastern Mass system. There looks to be more than enough for a book in it. I'm not sure what years, if I even want to restrict myself to years I want to do - though I know I'll restrict to after the name change/reorg. Going back too far would drive me insane:-D

Yea, I realized the misspelling right after I hit submit. Such is my luck.
jrc520

Postby 3rdrail » Sun Oct 14, 2012 1:01 pm

Eastern Mass would be terrific. Of all the companies that orbited around BERy, the EM was probably the most prominent. One of their predecessors, Bay State Street Railway, had the "trolley freight" franchise in Boston along with Boston & Worcester Street Railway Co. Couple that with the fact that there really is next to nothing written about it and I would think that you would have an item that many, including myself, would be interested in. The only really good piece on the EM ("Hyde Park Division") that I'm aware of that you might want to reference is National Railway Historical Society's Transportation Bulletin Number 82, Hyde Park Division (Bay State Street Railway), Dedham-Norwood - East Walpole Line (Eastern Massachusetts Street Railway) by Roger Borrup and Carl L. Smith.
~Paul Joyce~

Paul Joyce passed away in August, 2013. We honor his memory and his devotion at railroad.net.
3rdrail

Postby Teamdriver » Sun Oct 14, 2012 1:47 pm

I remember the Eastern buses at Forest Hills , the MTA turned around at the Dedham line, the Eastern bus went into Walpole think.
Teamdriver

Postby 3rdrail » Sun Oct 14, 2012 2:16 pm

Yup, East Walpole. That's one of the little anecdotes that makes this hobby so much fun. That bus route is the legacy of a squabble that took place between the Eastern Mass and BERy. EM wanted to use their little Birney Safety Cars, which were one-manned due to their size, on the run into the city of Boston to Forest Hills. BERy was set up for two manned operation and wasn't crazy about the Birney cars anyway, so BERy told the EM that they would not relieve the EM motormen at the Dedham/Boston line for the trip into Forest Hills if they used the Birneys. (And the kicker was that it was all EM track all the way to Forest Hills with BERy having a 99 year lease !) A stalemate then occured. So, what did the EM do ? They instituted bus service to Forest Hills from East Walpole (at a time when streetcars held most BERy primary, non R/T routes, of which this was definitely one). So, the service that you see that the T has today out of Forest Hills to East Walpole is a direct descendant of that feud and bus service hasn't missed a beat since then !

Another book to look for in the Transportation Bulletin series is Bulletin No. 69, Eastern Massachusetts Street Railway Company by the King of traction history, O.R.Cummings.

(Get your tux ready, Kev. Gala coming up ! :-))

~Paul Joyce~

3rdrail

Postby Teamdriver » Sun Oct 14, 2012 5:15 pm

I think they turned around in East Walpole besides the Peggy Lawton cookie place..................................
Teamdriver

Previous

Return to Massachusetts Bay Transportation Authority (MBTA)