Possible Boston College Station Renovations

Discussion relating to commuter rail, light rail, and subway operations of the MBTA.

Moderators: CRail, sery2831

Re: Possible Boston College Station Renovations

Postby Red Wing » Mon Oct 01, 2012 9:35 am

As I see it there are four good things here.
1. It makes the area slightly safer for pedestrians who will cross half of Comm Ave.
2. If it is prepay service might be a little faster.
3. Possibility of more storage in the yard.
4. Increase in speed without waiting for a traffic light to cross half of Comm. Ave.
Red Wing

Postby RailBus63 » Mon Oct 01, 2012 2:21 pm

BostonUrbEx wrote:
MBTA3247 wrote:Why does the diagram include a ramp for putting wheelchairs on Type 7s?

Just like Science Park, which now has ramps for Type 7's. Does the MBTA forget that we have Type 8's which are primarily low floor? Or that we will soon have Type 9's which will be 100% low floor? And that everything from here on out should be 100% low floor? My God....

Any station which is renovated now must be made 100% accessible under the Americans with Disabilities Act. The MBTA would lose the flexibility to operate Type 7's in single units or trains to Lechmere or Boston College without ramps at Science Park or B.C.
RailBus63

Postby BostonUrbEx » Mon Oct 01, 2012 4:39 pm

Red Wing wrote:2. If it is prepay service might be a little faster.

Isn't this irrelevant as they usually have a layover period which people can board during, anyway?
BostonUrbEx

Postby jamesinclair » Mon Oct 01, 2012 6:09 pm

RailBus63 wrote:
BostonUrbEx wrote:
MBTA3247 wrote:Why does the diagram include a ramp for putting wheelchairs on Type 7s?

Just like Science Park, which now has ramps for Type 7's. Does the MBTA forget that we have Type 8's which are primarily low floor? Or that we will soon have Type 9's which will be 100% low floor? And that everything from here on out should be 100% low floor? My God....

Any station which is renovated now must be made 100% accessible under the Americans with Disabilities Act. The MBTA would lose the flexibility to operate Type 7's in single units or trains to Lechmere or Boston College without ramps at Science Park or B.C.

Look at the MBTA construction timeline. Even if the project goes out to bid tonight, it wont be done before the type 7s have long been retired and replaced by type 10s. No need for a ramp.
jamesinclair

Postby boblothrope » Mon Oct 01, 2012 6:16 pm

Red Wing wrote:4. Increase in speed without waiting for a traffic light to cross half of Comm. Ave.

What I'd really like to know:

If only occasional yard moves will cross Lake Street, does that mean they'll finally install the first trolley-activated traffic light in Massachusetts?

Or will the light give a green to the trolley every cycle, even if no trolley needs to cross to the yard?
boblothrope

Postby jamesinclair » Tue Oct 02, 2012 1:45 am

boblothrope wrote:
Red Wing wrote:4. Increase in speed without waiting for a traffic light to cross half of Comm. Ave.

What I'd really like to know:

If only occasional yard moves will cross Lake Street, does that mean they'll finally install the first trolley-activated traffic light in Massachusetts?

Or will the light give a green to the trolley every cycle, even if no trolley needs to cross to the yard?

What happens at Cleveland Circle? Dont the trains just cross the intersection whenever they feel like it? Id guess its the same. A few honks, and then across.
jamesinclair

Postby Red Wing » Tue Oct 02, 2012 9:19 am

BostonUrbEx wrote:Isn't this irrelevant as they usually have a layover period which people can board during, anyway?

You may be right that at times there is a layover. I've been at BC where the inbound platforms and leaves right after the passengers board. From a public service perspective, I find it easier feeding money to the vending machine than feeding the fare box.

Boblothrope, I don't think in this state you will be lucky enough to have a trolley-activated traffic light. After all we're talking about the T and the Commonwealth here.
Red Wing

Postby boblothrope » Tue Oct 02, 2012 12:23 pm

jamesinclair wrote:
boblothrope wrote:If only occasional yard moves will cross Lake Street CORRECTION: Comm Ave, does that mean they'll finally install the first trolley-activated traffic light in Massachusetts?

What happens at Cleveland Circle? Dont the trains just cross the intersection whenever they feel like it? Id guess its the same. A few honks, and then across.

That might work ok. But the trend with new traffic lights around here is to leave nothing to drivers' discretion, especially when trolleys are involved -- red arrows all over the place. Since I believe BC already has a light for the trolley where it crosses Comm Ave, I'd be very surprised if the new configuration didn't have one.
boblothrope

Postby Matthew » Wed Oct 03, 2012 8:02 pm

So, my understanding from looking at the design and the plan is that they will use the crossover to send most outbound trains over to the inbound platform to discharge and turn. But if they plan to take the train out of service, then it will go straight through to the outbound platform and discharge there before moving to the yard. Does this seem reasonable for the operations?

I don't know why they don't go with straight middle platform. And I'm not sure why they are even bothering with this when there are so many other improvements that must be higher priority. How about fixing the tiny platforms at Chiswick and Chestnut Hill Ave? Or some stop elimination on the BU stretch?
Matthew

Postby MBTA3247 » Wed Oct 03, 2012 10:29 pm

Matthew wrote:So, my understanding from looking at the design and the plan is that they will use the crossover to send most outbound trains over to the inbound platform to discharge and turn. But if they plan to take the train out of service, then it will go straight through to the outbound platform and discharge there before moving to the yard. Does this seem reasonable for the operations?

Yes.

I don't know why they don't go with straight middle platform. And I'm not sure why they are even bothering with this when there are so many other improvements that must be higher priority. How about fixing the tiny platforms at Chiswick and Chestnut Hill Ave? Or some stop elimination on the BU stretch?

What, you mean make improvements where they're actually needed? This is the T we're talking about.
"The destination of this train is [BEEP BEEP]" -announcement on an Ashmont train.
MBTA3247

Postby Matthew » Wed Oct 03, 2012 11:32 pm

Is there actual transit benefit from this project, or is it the T being forced to spend money in order so that a few drivers can wait a few seconds less at a traffic light?
Matthew

Postby BostonUrbEx » Thu Oct 04, 2012 7:00 am

Matthew wrote:Is there actual transit benefit from this project, or is it the T being forced to spend money in order so that a few drivers can wait a few seconds less at a traffic light?

Well, as mentioned numerous times:

The train will no longer need to wait for a stoplight to get to/from the station and people using the station only have to cross one half of the street instead of the whole thing.
BostonUrbEx

Postby octr202 » Thu Oct 04, 2012 9:53 am

I suspect the two platform, three track setup is designed to facilitate service at busy times. After all, this isn't heavy rail we're talking about, in the untamed light rail environment (not to mention special events like football games) I could see arriving trains stacking up faster than an island platform and a double crossover can handle. In that case, they can send arriving trains around the yard loop when the turns get too tight.

The two platforms could work very, very well after football games. I recall they often alternated between locals and expresses inbound after games. With the new station, they could load them on opposite tracks to help sort the crowds out.
Wondering if I'll see the Haverhill double-tracking finished before I retire...
Photo: Melbourne W7 No. 1019 on Route 78, Bridge & Church Streets, Richmond, Victoria. 10/21/2010
octr202

Location: In the land of the once and future 73 trackless trolley.

Postby The EGE » Thu Oct 04, 2012 10:24 am

Where are you getting three tracks? The diagram in the Globe article from the original post clearly shows only 2 tracks.
"Give me an unobstructed right-of-way and I'll show them how to move the earth!"
The EGE

Postby octr202 » Thu Oct 04, 2012 2:24 pm

The EGE wrote:Where are you getting three tracks? The diagram in the Globe article from the original post clearly shows only 2 tracks.

Okay, yeah, I'm an idiot. I was reading the street as a track, looked at it too quick and then worked from memory. So that throws out all my logic above.

Now I'm at a loss to explain the setup. :-/
Wondering if I'll see the Haverhill double-tracking finished before I retire...
Photo: Melbourne W7 No. 1019 on Route 78, Bridge & Church Streets, Richmond, Victoria. 10/21/2010
octr202

Location: In the land of the once and future 73 trackless trolley.

PreviousNext

Return to Massachusetts Bay Transportation Authority (MBTA)