Possible Boston College Station Renovations

Discussion relating to commuter rail, light rail, and subway operations of the MBTA.

Moderators: CRail, sery2831

Re: Possible Boston College Station Renovations

Postby novitiate » Tue Oct 09, 2012 10:52 pm

How much is the ability to run single Type 7's on extremely rare occasions really worth? If the long-term plan is to replace the Type 7's with low-floor vehicles, and the Type 8's can run in the single configuration, should every station really be re-designed with mini-highs as a goal, and wouldn't it really just be cheaper to run Type 7's only paired with 8's?
novitiate

Postby neroden » Tue Oct 09, 2012 11:01 pm

Matthew wrote:Mr. Pesaturo did say that this project is not part of the MBTA's CIP and if it does go forward, it will likely be with funding found from outside the T.

That puts it lower in priority than, you know, everything, including the Big Dig mitigations which MassDOT is avoiding, the reconstruction of Government Center station, the remaining subway station accessibility projects.... who got them to spend time on this at all? And unless there is a secret source of outside funding, it certainly won't be done before the type 7s are out of service!
neroden

Postby BostonUrbEx » Wed Oct 10, 2012 8:07 am

Maybe BC is putting forth the funding?
BostonUrbEx

Postby Matthew » Wed Oct 10, 2012 11:03 am

This question came up at the meeting. Basically, what I gather from what they said is this: Senator Kerry, Rep Capuano and maybe some others got together and put an earmark in the budget to study this design back in 2008 or so. The money was put aside and not used, and was supposed to expire, but they decided to get a consultant (Jacobs) and spend it. So, as far as I know, the design process is being funded through an earmark from Congress, and it's only funded to 30% design, and that is all.

Some of the older folks in the room said that this isn't the first time this kind of idea has come up, and the design itself is one of several proposed a few years ago. It comes up every few years and gets shot down and that's that. BC spoke in support but the representative was not forthcoming about anything more than just they think it's an improvement.

It's still not clear to me what the true driving force behind the proposal is, and if anyone knows, they're not saying.
Matthew

Postby BostonUrbEx » Wed Oct 10, 2012 11:05 am

Matthew wrote:This question came up at the meeting. Basically, what I gather from what they said is this: Senator Kerry, Rep Capuano and maybe some others got together and put an earmark in the budget to study this design back in 2008 or so. The money was put aside and not used, and was supposed to expire, but they decided to get a consultant (Jacobs) and spend it. So, as far as I know, the design process is being funded through an earmark from Congress, and it's only funded to 30% design, and that is all.

Heaven forbid we either don't spend $800k on a 30% design or we use it towards actually building something.
BostonUrbEx

Postby Matthew » Wed Oct 10, 2012 11:08 am

Some folks there shared that sentiment ;)
Matthew

Postby The EGE » Tue Jan 01, 2013 9:49 pm

For those of us (myself included) who like engineering drawings, here's some of the new station.

http://willbrownsberger.com/wp-content/ ... -plans.pdf

It appears the 8' wide outbound platform will only be used when a trolley is going out of service or there's already one at the inbound platform, while the 15' wide sheltered platform will be used for most trains.
"Give me an unobstructed right-of-way and I'll show them how to move the earth!"
The EGE

Postby CircusFreakGRITZ » Wed Jan 02, 2013 1:11 am

The EGE wrote:For those of us (myself included) who like engineering drawings, here's some of the new station.

http://willbrownsberger.com/wp-content/ ... -plans.pdf

It appears the 8' wide outbound platform will only be used when a trolley is going out of service or there's already one at the inbound platform, while the 15' wide sheltered platform will be used for most trains.

Those last couple of pages, with the detailed catenary cross-sections, may come in handy down the road for trolley model railroading...
CircusFreakGRITZ

Postby Adams_Umass_Boston » Wed Jan 02, 2013 7:05 pm

The EGE wrote:For those of us (myself included) who like engineering drawings, here's some of the new station.

I do, I like to make them available to my students. Thank you for this.
Adams_Umass_Boston

Postby M&Eman » Wed Jan 02, 2013 10:31 pm

The MBTA seems to take a more conservative (and frankly quite asinine) approach to ADA regulations than most agencies. The "equality" line mainly has to do with ensuring equality of access where feasible. It does not mean removing a feature if it cannot be feasibly adapted for the disabled. The NJT South Orange station for example has only one elevator per platform but has multiple stairways to both the station building and the surface in multiple spots.
"The Erie only sells 1 way tickets on the NJ&NY because it only has a 99 year lease on the line."
M&Eman

Previous

Return to Massachusetts Bay Transportation Authority (MBTA)