Possible Boston College Station Renovations

Discussion relating to commuter rail, light rail, and subway operations of the MBTA.

Moderators: CRail, sery2831

Possible Boston College Station Renovations

Postby typesix » Sat Sep 29, 2012 11:30 am

typesix
 
Posts: 629
Joined: Fri Mar 12, 2004 11:23 am
Location: Boston

Re: Possible Boston College Station Renovations

Postby The EGE » Sat Sep 29, 2012 12:58 pm

Interesting design - odd that they're looking at island + side. I'd like to see a wider island that could be adapted to pre-pay, but the T stubbornly refuses to go that direction.
User avatar
The EGE
 
Posts: 2460
Joined: Wed Feb 16, 2011 6:16 pm
Location: Waiting for the N Judah

Re: Possible Boston College Station Renovations

Postby jamesinclair » Sat Sep 29, 2012 1:01 pm

$20 million to downgrade a station?

I didnt realzie we could be so loose with money that throwing it at worsening the passenger experience is a good idea.
jamesinclair
 
Posts: 2164
Joined: Wed Jun 21, 2006 5:22 pm

Re: Possible Boston College Station Renovations

Postby The EGE » Sat Sep 29, 2012 1:12 pm

Definitely not a downgrade. ADA compliant, for one. At it means that BC students (major ridership) only has to cross half the street instead of all of it. Plus it eliminates the time-consuming moves across Comm Ave.
User avatar
The EGE
 
Posts: 2460
Joined: Wed Feb 16, 2011 6:16 pm
Location: Waiting for the N Judah

Re: Possible Boston College Station Renovations

Postby MBTA3247 » Sat Sep 29, 2012 9:23 pm

Why does the diagram include a ramp for putting wheelchairs on Type 7s?
"The destination of this train is [BEEP BEEP]" -announcement on an Ashmont train.
User avatar
MBTA3247
 
Posts: 2608
Joined: Tue Jul 11, 2006 6:01 pm
Location: Milton

Re: Possible Boston College Station Renovations

Postby BostonUrbEx » Sat Sep 29, 2012 10:06 pm

MBTA3247 wrote:Why does the diagram include a ramp for putting wheelchairs on Type 7s?


Just like Science Park, which now has ramps for Type 7's. Does the MBTA forget that we have Type 8's which are primarily low floor? Or that we will soon have Type 9's which will be 100% low floor? And that everything from here on out should be 100% low floor? My God....
User avatar
BostonUrbEx
 
Posts: 3603
Joined: Thu Dec 03, 2009 9:55 pm
Location: Winn to MPT 8, Boston to MPN 38, and Hat to Bank

Re: Possible Boston College Station Renovations

Postby jrc520 » Sun Sep 30, 2012 12:30 am

Or that most other stations DON'T have these ramps?
jrc520
 
Posts: 294
Joined: Fri Mar 12, 2004 12:36 pm
Location: Woburn, MA

Re: Possible Boston College Station Renovations

Postby jamesinclair » Sun Sep 30, 2012 12:59 pm

The EGE wrote:Definitely not a downgrade. ADA compliant, for one. At it means that BC students (major ridership) only has to cross half the street instead of all of it. Plus it eliminates the time-consuming moves across Comm Ave.


Except they just spent a bunch of money making BC ADA compliant.

It also means BC students (major ridership) will have to walk further.

The only reason for a center station would be if they were extended service further down the road using the enormous median
jamesinclair
 
Posts: 2164
Joined: Wed Jun 21, 2006 5:22 pm

Re: Possible Boston College Station Renovations

Postby jaymac » Sun Sep 30, 2012 1:00 pm

What I found surprising -- given the deficit -- is that the T says it's retaining the yard. If the platform gets relocated to Comm. Ave. just east of Lake St. and the rail is extended just a bit on the old B&W for layover/setout purposes, the yard becomes real estate that BC or others might be interested in. There might be some brown earth issues, given a century or so of dripping lube, but the aorementioned Jesuitical institution is limited in expansion possibilities.
"A white SUV with a roof antenna just might not be a company van."
jaymac
 
Posts: 3427
Joined: Wed Mar 04, 2009 1:08 pm

Re: Possible Boston College Station Renovations

Postby R36 Combine Coach » Sun Sep 30, 2012 1:12 pm

BostonUrbEx wrote:
MBTA3247 wrote:Why does the diagram include a ramp for putting wheelchairs on Type 7s?


Just like Science Park, which now has ramps for Type 7's. Does the MBTA forget that we have Type 8's which are primarily low floor? Or that we will soon have Type 9's which will be 100% low floor? And that everything from here on out should be 100% low floor?

If the Green Line now runs 2-car mixed trains of Type 7s and 8s, one car shall be sufficient for ADA compliance (like CTA 2200s and 2600s), so really there's no need for mini-high ramps.
Since my friend continues to chain smoke nonstop, she is probably an Alco.
User avatar
R36 Combine Coach
 
Posts: 4891
Joined: Mon Jun 09, 2008 8:51 pm

Re: Possible Boston College Station Renovations

Postby MBTA3247 » Sun Sep 30, 2012 6:11 pm

jaymac wrote:What I found surprising -- given the deficit -- is that the T says it's retaining the yard. If the platform gets relocated to Comm. Ave. just east of Lake St. and the rail is extended just a bit on the old B&W for layover/setout purposes, the yard becomes real estate that BC or others might be interested in.

They still need a yard there. There's a lot to be said for the convenience of not having to deadhead every train to/from Reservoir, and I don't know if Riverside and Reservoir have enough space for the whole fleet. Even if they do, eliminating Lake St Yard would probably mean having to deadhead a few B and C trains all the way from Riverside.

Also, the ROW west of Lake St was the Commonwealth Ave Street Railway, later part of the Middlesex & Boston. B&W was over on Boylston St.
"The destination of this train is [BEEP BEEP]" -announcement on an Ashmont train.
User avatar
MBTA3247
 
Posts: 2608
Joined: Tue Jul 11, 2006 6:01 pm
Location: Milton

Re: Possible Boston College Station Renovations

Postby diburning » Sun Sep 30, 2012 11:34 pm

R36 Combine Coach wrote:
BostonUrbEx wrote:
MBTA3247 wrote:Why does the diagram include a ramp for putting wheelchairs on Type 7s?


Just like Science Park, which now has ramps for Type 7's. Does the MBTA forget that we have Type 8's which are primarily low floor? Or that we will soon have Type 9's which will be 100% low floor? And that everything from here on out should be 100% low floor?

If the Green Line now runs 2-car mixed trains of Type 7s and 8s, one car shall be sufficient for ADA compliance (like CTA 2200s and 2600s), so really there's no need for mini-high ramps.


Every now and then (especially on weekends) they will run single car trains. They try their best to operate that single car as a Type 8, but I have seen single car Type 7s, so I'm sure those ramps are there for those rare occasions.
User avatar
diburning
 
Posts: 2975
Joined: Sat Feb 09, 2008 7:37 pm
Location: Practicing safe CSX by using Three-Step Protection

Re: Possible Boston College Station Renovations

Postby jaymac » Mon Oct 01, 2012 3:36 am

MBTA3247 » Sun Sep 30, 2012 6:11 pm
Also, the ROW west of Lake St was the Commonwealth Ave Street Railway, later part of the Middlesex & Boston. B&W was over on Boylston St.


I'll continue to try to remember to not rely on memory.
TNX!
"A white SUV with a roof antenna just might not be a company van."
jaymac
 
Posts: 3427
Joined: Wed Mar 04, 2009 1:08 pm

Re: Possible Boston College Station Renovations

Postby octr202 » Mon Oct 01, 2012 7:29 am

The walking distance is pretty irrelevant - it's just in a different direction. Most of the time (recalling my fuzzy student memories) students are coming and going from the Lower Campus area, it's really not much different to go the the median east of Lake St versus all the way across to the present station. Upper Campus students are probably using the shuttle buses to go to Reservoir, or now that it's all one price might be walking to Chestnut Hill to get the D Line. We never used to use CH inbound as it meant paying more.

I suspect BC probably wouldn't be interesting in the yard parcel - remember they made a rather substantial purchase recently on the other side of Lake St and Comm Ave.

In the Globe drawing, it looks like there's a fence separating the center track from the side platform. I wonder if that platform will be a "discharge only" platform for trains heading into the yard, while all boarding will be done from the island platform. After all, the island will require pre-payment on one track since the farebox will be on the wrong side).
Wondering if I'll see the Haverhill double-tracking finished before I retire...
Photo: Melbourne W7 No. 1019 on Route 78, Bridge & Church Streets, Richmond, Victoria. 10/21/2010
User avatar
octr202
 
Posts: 4142
Joined: Fri Mar 12, 2004 8:13 am
Location: In the land of the once and future 73 trackless trolley.

Re: Possible Boston College Station Renovations

Postby The EGE » Mon Oct 01, 2012 9:14 am

I didn't see the fence at first - it really is two side platforms, then. I suspect the view in the article is facing west; thus, the non-farebox-side platform is the outbound and the wider, farebox-side platform is inbound.
User avatar
The EGE
 
Posts: 2460
Joined: Wed Feb 16, 2011 6:16 pm
Location: Waiting for the N Judah

Next

Return to Massachusetts Bay Transportation Authority (MBTA)

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 7 guests