Beverly Depot Diamond

Discussion relating to commuter rail, light rail, and subway operations of the MBTA.

Moderators: CRail, sery2831

Beverly Depot Diamond

Postby BostonUrbEx » Fri Sep 28, 2012 9:16 pm

Where the Rockport Branch splits off the Eastern Route just north of Beverly Depot, is there a diamond? Or is it a slip switch? I'm referring to where the inbound track from Rockport crosses over the outbound track to Newburyport.

Also, were there ever any plans to grade separate the tracks from Eliot St? It seems pretty rough to have two double track crossings in one short stretch of road.
Last edited by BostonUrbEx on Fri Sep 28, 2012 9:18 pm, edited 2 times in total.
BostonUrbEx

Re: Beverly Depot Diamond

Postby Elcamo » Fri Sep 28, 2012 9:18 pm

BostonUrbEx wrote:Where the Rockport Branch splits off the Eastern Route just north of Beverly Depot, is there a diamond? Or is it a slip switch? I'm referring to where the inbound track from Rockport crosses over the outbound track to Newburyport.

I'm not sure off the top of my head, but I can get some pics of it tommorrow if needed.
Elcamo

Postby MBTA3247 » Fri Sep 28, 2012 9:55 pm

It's a double-slip switch.
"The destination of this train is [BEEP BEEP]" -announcement on an Ashmont train.
MBTA3247

Postby sery2831 » Sat Sep 29, 2012 12:35 am

It's a diamond with moveable point frogs. It is not a slip switch!
Moderator: MBTA Rail Operations
sery2831

Postby NH2060 » Sat Sep 29, 2012 1:11 am

Also, were there ever any plans to grade separate the tracks from Eliot St? It seems pretty rough to have two double track crossings in one short stretch of road.

I walk that stretch quite frequently and I have wondered about that myself. However, given how the traffic lights are properly positioned and relayed to prevent auto traffic from being stuck on the tracks and the fact that there are residential and commercial properties and other side streets right next to both the branch and the main line, any grade separation isn't really necessary and would be just about impossible to pull off without dramatically altering the look of the entire neighborhood.
NH2060

Return to Massachusetts Bay Transportation Authority (MBTA)