High Speed Rail to Springfield

Discussion relating to commuter rail, light rail, and subway operations of the MBTA.

Moderators: CRail, sery2831

High Speed Rail to Springfield

Postby BigRock » Mon Jan 31, 2005 10:52 am

Does anyone have any information of the proposed high speed rail to Springfield from Boston, possibly using the MassPike right-of-way for service? It was the early 1990's when I read it in the newspaper.
BigRock

Postby njt/mnrrbuff » Mon Jan 31, 2005 1:58 pm

Reading from previous forums, do not expext any high speed service between Boston to SPG. First, CSX needs its right of way and also, 448 and 449 never run on time. You have many buses as well.
njt/mnrrbuff

Postby Ron Newman » Mon Jan 31, 2005 2:03 pm

Also, doesn't high-speed rail depend on people actually wanting to travel to both endpoints?

Boston-NYC makes sense. Boston-Montreal may make sense. But Boston-Springfield?
Ron Newman

Postby BigRock » Mon Jan 31, 2005 3:45 pm

I can see the ads now...

Take the fast train to the Basketball Hall of Fame!!!
BigRock

Postby dcm74 » Mon Jan 31, 2005 4:22 pm

Actually the plan was for a monorail to possibly go all the way to Albany, NY. As much as anything else the "feasibility study" was a way to keep the outgoing mayor of Springfield on the government payroll to protect her pension. She's now a judge so she doesn't have to worry.
dcm74

Postby bierhere » Mon Jan 31, 2005 5:07 pm

The study was not an MBTA project, but a project of the Mass Turnpike Authority.

Why? "Because we are a building authority."
bierhere

Postby Ron Newman » Mon Jan 31, 2005 5:09 pm

I assume the study said it was not feasible, otherwise we'd be on to the next step by now. Does anyone know where to find a copy of it?
Ron Newman

Postby njt/mnrrbuff » Mon Jan 31, 2005 9:42 pm

I will never see MBTA go beyond Worcester. Springfield is it's own metro area.
njt/mnrrbuff

Postby BC Eagle » Mon Jan 31, 2005 10:17 pm

Turnpike Authority chairman Matthew Amorello proposed a monorail along the median of the pike from Boston to Springfield in December of 2003.

http://www.boston.com/news/local/massachusetts/articles/2003/12/10/pike_chief_sees_monorail_train_on_median_strip/
BC Eagle

Postby ST214 » Mon Jan 31, 2005 10:28 pm

Would never work here. Either Portland or Seattle have one and they found out last year it doesn't work in the ice.
Hoping for a rebirth of the Screamer fleet.
ST214

Postby SnoozerZ49 » Tue Feb 01, 2005 3:37 pm

I don't think commuter rail service would help poor Springfield very much. It already has like so many people have pointed out good bus service. If it has any future with rail it would be on a North South basis by improving the Amtrak River line to New Haven. For many years the fares on this line were very non-competitive and attracted few new riders. Metro-North or some other agency could probably do a better jobb promoting the line than Amtrak with its non-existant marketing (beyond Acela).

Maybe Springfield could even become a hub for additional service to the North. When Guilford is gone maybe the Conn River Route to Greenfield could be reopened to passenger service? We can still hope!

Springfield really is a city in trouble. Its glory days as a financial/Insurance and manufacturing hub are long gone. Poverty and coruption have a real hold on the city. Like the rest of Central, Southern and Western Massachusetts it is virtually ignored by the powers that be in Boston and Eastern Massachusetts.
SnoozerZ49

Postby Cotuit » Thu Feb 03, 2005 4:11 pm

njt/mnrrbuff wrote:I will never see MBTA go beyond Worcester. Springfield is it's own metro area.

So is Providence.
Cotuit

Postby trigonalmayhem » Thu Feb 03, 2005 6:13 pm

Cotuit wrote:
njt/mnrrbuff wrote:I will never see MBTA go beyond Worcester. Springfield is it's own metro area.

So is Providence.

And so is Worcester for that matter.
trigonalmayhem

Postby BC Eagle » Thu Feb 03, 2005 8:43 pm

There's one main question this comes down to: Would people commute to Boston daily from Springfield? I think the answer is no. I'm not sure how long the commuter rail takes from Worcestor or Providence, but I would guess about an hour. I don't think there would be much demand for daily commutes longer than this.
BC Eagle

Postby ST214 » Fri Feb 04, 2005 1:29 am

If anything is built, i'll bet it would be somewhere near Sturbridge, to catch the I-84 traffic. It gets heavy from there on in.

Springfield is kinda stretching it a little. Ok, a lot. If it happens, it will be rush hour only.
Hoping for a rebirth of the Screamer fleet.
ST214

Next

Return to Massachusetts Bay Transportation Authority (MBTA)