Methuen/Rosemont/Route 213 Stops

Discussion relating to commuter rail, light rail, and subway operations of the MBTA.

Moderators: CRail, sery2831

Methuen/Rosemont/Route 213 Stops

Postby wicked » Tue Sep 25, 2012 11:51 pm

Reading the N.H. commuter rail thread on the other forum made me wonder ... was any work ever undertaken on these stations before the T pulled the plug? Were these previous B&M stops?

I'm guessing in a pre-ADA era, the planned stations were probably minimal.

wicked

Re: Methuen/Rosemont/Route 213 stops

Postby The EGE » Wed Sep 26, 2012 12:37 am

I don't believe any facilities were built.
"Give me an unobstructed right-of-way and I'll show them how to move the earth!"
The EGE

Postby F-line to Dudley via Park » Wed Sep 26, 2012 9:56 am

The EGE wrote:I don't believe any facilities were built.

Downtown Methuen's got its historic B&M station still standing. Maintained for historic preservation but a little ragged-looking today. For 1981 commuter rail standards, though, they would've been able to slap some signage up and get it reopened at little to no real-world cost. That's pretty much all they did with the extant NH Main stations for the short-lived Concord service.

Route 213 had nothing built because the budget axe fell before they got that far. I've not seen any info on what the plans were for that build or exactly where it was going to be located. But I bet it would've been a *very* minimalist bare platform because that's all they were building back then.

Remember...they were still running Budds on bad unmodified track back in the old days, and this was pre- Guilford swallowing B&M so there was still extant MOW activity by the freight carrier. It would not have taken very long at all to get service running. Months, not years. Orders of magnitude less involved than today when Class 3 track + high platform well-lit clean ADA stations + fully up-to-spec grade crossing protection + full-build layover yards is the minimum standard for new construction.

As for Rosemont...I'm guessing bare platform at the grade crossing and a few parking spots on the adjacent dirt lot were all they were going to do: http://goo.gl/maps/BEh9i.
F-line to Dudley via Park

Postby djlong » Thu Sep 27, 2012 8:27 am

F-line to Dudley via Park wrote:Downtown Methuen's got its historic B&M station still standing. Maintained for historic preservation but a little ragged-looking today. For 1981 commuter rail standards, though, they would've been able to slap some signage up and get it reopened at little to no real-world cost. That's pretty much all they did with the extant NH Main stations for the short-lived Concord service.

In Nashua, it wasn't even that. Just a slab of asphalt and a sign next to an abandoned warehouse building and a "Howdy's" - just north of the rail yard.
djlong

Re: Methuen/Rosemont/Route 213 Stops

Postby Rockingham Racer » Fri Sep 28, 2012 3:28 pm

A crossover was installed just east of Rosemont Ave., then removed about 5 years ago [if memory serves]. My assumption was that it would've been used in conjunction for trains turning there.
Rockingham Racer

Postby kwf » Fri Sep 28, 2012 5:44 pm

Awesome depot and freighthouse at that link....
kwf

Postby The EGE » Sat Sep 29, 2012 12:15 pm

Where exactly were the Nashua and Manchester stops?

I found the Merrimack stop a month back - it's at the old depot, and the 1980 platform is still extant. I've got pictures buried somewhere on my camera card. https://maps.google.com/maps?hl=en&ll=4 ... 18,,0,4.68

I also tracked down the Concord stop. No platform left, but I backtraced the spot from old pictures, and I confirmed it by the short double-track used for a layover. https://maps.google.com/maps?hl=en&ll=4 ... 2&t=h&z=19

The Nashua and Manchester stops don't seem to have anything left of them, though.
"Give me an unobstructed right-of-way and I'll show them how to move the earth!"
The EGE

Postby ferroequinarchaeologist » Sat Sep 29, 2012 5:20 pm

Rosemont still exists, restored, expanded (but still recognizable) and currently serving (no pun intended) as the locally popular Leah Mae's Tea Room.

PBM
ferroequinarchaeologist

Postby F-line to Dudley via Park » Sat Sep 29, 2012 5:28 pm

ferroequinarchaeologist wrote:Rosemont still exists, restored, expanded (but still recognizable) and currently serving (no pun intended) as the locally popular Leah Mae's Tea Room.

PBM

Right here: http://goo.gl/maps/yvMfb.

Quaint!
F-line to Dudley via Park

Return to Massachusetts Bay Transportation Authority (MBTA)