BERy ROW Along The Fellsway

Discussion relating to commuter rail, light rail, and subway operations of the MBTA.

Moderators: CRail, sery2831

Re: BERy ROW Along The Fellsway

Postby 3rdrail » Thu Sep 27, 2012 3:41 pm

jbvb wrote:As far as guys cruising, if you aren't the droid they're looking for, they have very little interest in you.

...but carry a blade.
~Paul Joyce~
[i]Moderator: Toy Trains, Model Railroading, Outdoor and Live Steam

Paul Joyce passed away in August, 2013. We honor his memory and his devotion at railroad.net.
3rdrail

Postby Gerry6309 » Mon Oct 01, 2012 3:06 pm

The El and The Eastern Mass operated this as a joint operation. The 4300s were used for most service, with type 5s filling in on short turns to Salem St. or Elm St. The El's operators ran the car as far as the Sheepfold where an Eastern Mass. operator took over. Each company had its own fare box and collected its own fares. The 4300s were maintained by the El at Salem St. under contract to the Eastern Mass.. There were also occasional trips to Spot Pond only, which reversed at the end of double track.
Gerry. STM/BSRA

The next stop is Washington. Change for Forest Hills Trains on the Winter St. Platform, and Everett Trains on the Summer St. Platform. This is an Ashmont train, change for Braintree at Columbia.
Gerry6309

Postby 3rdrail » Mon Oct 01, 2012 3:22 pm

Track was El owned/leased right up to Spot Pond at the Medford/Stoneham Line. From that point on, it was the Eastern Mass's. As Gerry stated, it was double tracked, and there were two crossovers just before the end of the El's rail.
~Paul Joyce~

Paul Joyce passed away in August, 2013. We honor his memory and his devotion at railroad.net.
3rdrail

Postby The EGE » Sat Oct 20, 2012 7:06 pm

I went out today and got some pictures with my folks, which I'll post when I get a chance. Still a sketchy area, although I saw some families nearer the trailheads. All three bridges are still standing but beginning to crumble a bit.
"Give me an unobstructed right-of-way and I'll show them how to move the earth!"
The EGE

Postby TomNelligan » Sun Oct 21, 2012 8:59 am

Anyone who is seriously interested in long-gone Boston Elevated Railway lines should acquire a copy of Streetcar Lines of the Hub by Bradley Clark, a 2003 BSRA publication. It is a 206-page hardcover book with hundreds of photos and detailed track maps of all lines, including the Fellsway route.
TomNelligan

Postby 3rdrail » Sun Oct 21, 2012 3:12 pm

....If you were a BSRA regular member, you'd have gotten it for free !
~Paul Joyce~

3rdrail

Postby dieciduej » Sun Oct 21, 2012 5:09 pm

The Fellsway/Stoneham line is the main feature of the BSRA RollSign Nov/Dec 1986 and May/Jun 1989 issues.

JoeD
dieciduej

Previous

Return to Massachusetts Bay Transportation Authority (MBTA)