Orient Heights Yard/Stub Track Switches

Discussion relating to commuter rail, light rail, and subway operations of the MBTA.

Moderators: CRail, sery2831

Orient Heights Yard/Stub Track Switches

Postby Tonkin » Sun Sep 23, 2012 5:02 pm

The 7-23 switch at Orient Heights is going to be taken out of service and just used as straight rail during the new station construction. They may do the same with the 7-21 switch. Both switches are at the east end of the platforms.
Tonkin

Re: Orient Heights switches

Postby MBTA3247 » Sun Sep 23, 2012 9:58 pm

Are those the switches to the two disused stub sidings? Dunno why they'd have to explicitly take those out of service since I don't think they've been used in years.
"The destination of this train is [BEEP BEEP]" -announcement on an Ashmont train.
MBTA3247

Postby Adams_Umass_Boston » Sun Sep 23, 2012 10:50 pm

MBTA3247 wrote:Are those the switches to the two disused stub sidings? Dunno why they'd have to explicitly take those out of service since I don't think they've been used in years.

I wonder if that is it? They could just eliminate the whole thing, and add to the parking. It looks do-able on Google Maps.
http://goo.gl/maps/5laUm
Adams_Umass_Boston

Postby BostonUrbEx » Mon Sep 24, 2012 8:05 am

Adams_Umass_Boston wrote:
MBTA3247 wrote:Are those the switches to the two disused stub sidings? Dunno why they'd have to explicitly take those out of service since I don't think they've been used in years.

I wonder if that is it? They could just eliminate the whole thing, and add to the parking. It looks do-able on Google Maps.

Or do something more useful and build the densest housing possible for that area.
BostonUrbEx

Postby jonnhrr » Mon Sep 24, 2012 12:46 pm

I see there is a 3rd leg of the wye that allows them to send trains from the yard to Wonderland. Is that used much, or do they generally pull out from the yard and head to Boston?

Jon
Avatar Photo - P&W local from Gardner to Worcester at Morgan Rd., Hubbardston
jonnhrr

Postby The EGE » Mon Sep 24, 2012 2:58 pm

I believe it is used for the first inbound trains of the day.
The EGE

Postby Tonkin » Wed Sep 26, 2012 11:34 am

Yes, they go to the two stub sidings. They do use those stub sidings occassionally, but not very often.
The 7-23 switch, which is on the eastbound track, is used when they pull back trains into the yard at the end of service late night. After a train is out of service and finished for the night, they bring it back from Wonderland on the westbound and cross it over to the eastbound on the 7-35 switches, then it goes into the yard. When they throw those 7-35 switches into reverse, the 7-23 also goes into reverse, sending any potential eastbound train down the stub siding, to prevent any collisions.
Tonkin

Postby Tonkin » Wed Sep 26, 2012 11:37 am

Adams_Umass_Boston wrote:

They actually took some of the parking away when they extended the stub sidings a few years ago to accomodate the 6 car trains. You can see how much more land they took from the google map.
Tonkin

Re: Orient Heights Yard/Stub Track Switches

Postby theseaandalifesaver » Wed Sep 26, 2012 4:10 pm

From what I understand, the two stub tracks are what remain of the Winthrop branch.
theseaandalifesaver

Postby F-line to Dudley via Park » Wed Sep 26, 2012 4:28 pm

If they need any more storage space it looks like there's plenty to be had in the dirt pit in the center of the loop if they so desired to do something with the malformed unpowered stub tracks that peter out in the middle. The existing stubs don't look all that operationally convenient disconnected from the rest of the yard. That's at least 70 more parking spaces they can add if they took the stubs out. Probably more. There isn't any storage crunch here...go for the extra revenue instead.
F-line to Dudley via Park

Postby boblothrope » Thu Sep 27, 2012 1:54 pm

F-line to Dudley via Park wrote:That's at least 70 more parking spaces they can add if they took the stubs out. Probably more. There isn't any storage crunch here...go for the extra revenue instead.

Does the parking lot ever fill up? http://www.mbta.com/schedules_and_maps/ ... opId=13119 says average availability is less than 41%, which is the highest of any of the subway lots I checked.
boblothrope

Postby BostonUrbEx » Fri Sep 28, 2012 7:17 am

boblothrope wrote:which is the highest of any of the subway lots I checked.

Just about every Red or Orange line station with parking has <1% of spaces available on a weekday on average. So that's quite low, I'd say it would have to be something major for it to ever be full. Maybe on the 4th or when there's a championship parade.
BostonUrbEx

Postby Adams_Umass_Boston » Fri Sep 28, 2012 7:29 am

I question how accurate that information is. I know people who have said if there late, they have to go and park down near the beach.
On the T website is said that the parking is run by a company called LAZ Parking. However on the LAZ website I found no mention of them operating that lot.
Adams_Umass_Boston

Postby StevieC48 » Sun Nov 25, 2012 11:24 am

OK the stub end tracks you are referring to were extend for 6 car trains. But before this the stub ends were taken out of service after a derailment where a #4 car coming out of the track derailed on the switch and went into the platform and the train starters office years ago. Ever since then the tracks and switches were placed out of service. It was evident for a longtime because of the rust on the head of the rail that had accumulated because of non use. So them not using it in no big deal cause they can short turn the train at the yard openings just as easy as the stub tracks.
Farewell old friend thanks for the memories.
#4 EBT cars Hawker Siddley 1978-2009

Instructor/Inspector SERY
Member 25 years proud
StevieC48

Return to Massachusetts Bay Transportation Authority (MBTA)