Bus-to-Station transfer statistics?

Discussion relating to commuter rail, light rail, and subway operations of the MBTA.

Moderators: CRail, sery2831

Bus-to-Station transfer statistics?

Postby BostonUrbEx » Mon Sep 17, 2012 7:58 pm

Does anyone know where I can find figures on bus-to-station transfers?

To give you a sense of what I'm specifically looking for, I'm putting together data on why express buses to Haymarket should be extended to South Station, particularly the North Shore (111, 426, 428, 450). The reason being is that these areas are generally already served by the Blue Line, New/Rock Line, or buses to the Blue Line, which already allow for access to the Green and Orange lines pretty easily. By extending these buses to South Station, you provide temporary relief for the lack of a Red-Blue Connector. This relieves the 4 core stations and allows for more convenient travel from the North Shore to Red Line employment centers. It also allows people to get to Amtrak, a plethora of regional bus companies, Silver Line without multiple transfers, etc.

Basically, I'd like to see if I can find how many people are entering Haymarket with a free transfer/reduced transfer from particular bus routes.
BostonUrbEx

Re: Bus-to-Station transfer statistics?

Postby jamesinclair » Mon Sep 17, 2012 10:34 pm

Huh, interesting idea, and frankly one that makes sense. Haymarket really isnt a great terminal.
jamesinclair

Postby R36 Combine Coach » Mon Sep 17, 2012 11:13 pm

In a sense, South Station is Boston's main transit terminal or "Union Station", to speak. Red/Silver lines, all Amtrak services (except Downeaster) Commuter Rail (south lines), Greyhound and virtually all intercity/long distance bus carriers, which makes it even more of a choice.
Since my friend continues to chain smoke nonstop, she is probably an Alco.
R36 Combine Coach

Postby The EGE » Mon Sep 17, 2012 11:25 pm

South Station has good access to I-90 heading west, hence the 500-series express buses. South Station does not have good access to I-93 north; Haymarket does.
"Give me an unobstructed right-of-way and I'll show them how to move the earth!"
The EGE

Postby diburning » Mon Sep 17, 2012 11:58 pm

That's not true. There is a ramp down to I-93 North near the intersection of Essex St and Surface Rd. If you miss that one, there's another ramp down over by James Hook Co just past the Intercontinental hotel. This is the route that Boston Express (bus service to New Hampshire) takes. So, it would be reasonable to assume that an MBTA bus could do the same.
diburning

Postby FatNoah » Tue Sep 18, 2012 7:13 am

South Station does not have good access to I-93 north; Haymarket does.

South Station's connectivity to the highway system is great. I-90 east &west and I-93 north & south are all close by. For a time, I drove daily from the seaport to Storrow Drive and getting from S. Station to I-93 north was a cinch.
FatNoah

Postby The EGE » Tue Sep 18, 2012 10:32 am

I stand corrected.
"Give me an unobstructed right-of-way and I'll show them how to move the earth!"
The EGE

Postby ftran999 » Tue Sep 18, 2012 12:33 pm

Somewhere out there online is a document published by the T which shows the type of stats you're looking for. Unfortunately I didn't bookmark it so I don't have the link. I couldn't find anything in the T website's document library.
Hopefully someone else here can come up with the link.
ftran999

Postby Aerie » Tue Sep 18, 2012 4:45 pm

Didn't Eastern Mass streetcars from the North Shore run through the subway to the loop at Adams Square to reverse direction? That might explain why the North Shore buses still turn around in that area.
Aerie

Postby Elcamo » Tue Sep 18, 2012 8:22 pm

Aerie wrote:Didn't Eastern Mass streetcars from the North Shore run through the subway to the loop at Adams Square to reverse direction? That might explain why the North Shore buses still turn around in that area.

This hasn't happened for years, probobly predating the mbta. I'd guess that better highway access and connection to 2 major subway lines has more to do with it, plus extending the line out would've made the trip even longer.
Elcamo

Postby 3rdrail » Tue Sep 18, 2012 10:04 pm

I'm surprised that someone hasn't already said it, but the T has all that information that you seek. Look here first; http://www.mbta.com/rider_tools/develop ... p?id=21896 If you can't find what you are looking for, I would call their data processing office. If you can only get so far with a call taker and get dumped, which happens frequently with the T, walk in cold at 45 High St., put on your best smile and ask to speak with someone who does the data processing stuff. At this stage, I have found them to be very obliging. I did two long papers in school that way. 617-222-5000.
If all else fails, try NextBus Inc. 510-652-1303. Good luck !
~Paul Joyce~
[i]Moderator: Toy Trains, Model Railroading, Outdoor and Live Steam

Paul Joyce passed away in August, 2013. We honor his memory and his devotion at railroad.net.
3rdrail

Return to Massachusetts Bay Transportation Authority (MBTA)