No, you can't go to your destination...

Discussion relating to commuter rail, light rail, and subway operations of the MBTA.

Moderators: CRail, sery2831

No, you can't go to your destination...

Postby ns3010 » Sun Sep 09, 2012 10:14 pm

Tonight a friend and I were taking the Green Line to Haymarket on a train signed for North Station. However, we pulled into Park Street, were ordered to detrain, and the train went around the loop and headed back the other way.

Why would the train suddenly have dumped all its passengers and headed back outbound? And why would this have happened at Park Street, and not Government Center (as it would have if it were an incorrectly signed B or D train)? As far as I can tell (still trying to master the T ;-)), no trains usually terminate at Park Street, correct? I find all this odd because it all happened rather suddenly, and there was no "problem" with the train as far as I could tell.

Any ideas?
ns3010

Re: No, you can't go to your destination...

Postby The EGE » Sun Sep 09, 2012 10:40 pm

I was on an inbound B that terminated at Park Street yesterday. Sounds like they either needed to get the cars back outbound in a hurry, or the 2-track tunnel between Park Street and Govt Center was crowded. Park Street used to be an inbound terminus for a lot of routes; it's a natural terminus because of the Red Line connection and the loop.
"Give me an unobstructed right-of-way and I'll show them how to move the earth!"
The EGE

Postby 3rdrail » Sun Sep 09, 2012 10:42 pm

More than likely, service was needed in the other direction (maybe another car broke down) and an Inspector ordered your car to short turn and head back there.
~Paul Joyce~
[i]Moderator: Toy Trains, Model Railroading, Outdoor and Live Steam

Paul Joyce passed away in August, 2013. We honor his memory and his devotion at railroad.net.
3rdrail

Postby jamesinclair » Sun Sep 09, 2012 11:24 pm

ns3010 wrote:Tonight a friend and I were taking the Green Line to Haymarket on a train signed for North Station. However, we pulled into Park Street, were ordered to detrain, and the train went around the loop and headed back the other way.

Why would the train suddenly have dumped all its passengers and headed back outbound? And why would this have happened at Park Street, and not Government Center (as it would have if it were an incorrectly signed B or D train)? As far as I can tell (still trying to master the T ;-)), no trains usually terminate at Park Street, correct? I find all this odd because it all happened rather suddenly, and there was no "problem" with the train as far as I could tell.

Any ideas?

Its not scheduled, but its standard operating procedure. The only way to know in advance is by looking at the signal at the end of the station at Boylston (not much advance notice!)

From your other thread, I presume youre a college freshman? If you ride the B line, youll also notice express trains. Never scheduled, but there to screw up (or highly improve) your day.

Word of advice: When switching green line trains, always ride to the furthest point before transferring to ensure the most trains.

IE: If youre going to Lechmere, go to Gvt center to transfer in case you catch a train being turned at the brattle loop. That is, if youre at park and a B comes, take it anyway because theres a chance you might catch a loop train.

Same with reverse. Are you at gvt and waiting for a B? Take any train to park because theres a chance youll catch a train being reversed there.

Kenmore is another one. If you want a C or D, ride to kenmore in case one gets taken around the loop.
jamesinclair

Postby FP10 » Mon Sep 10, 2012 3:56 pm

jamesinclair wrote:From your other thread, I presume youre a college freshman? If you ride the B line, youll also notice express trains. Never scheduled, but there to screw up (or highly improve) your day.

Another word of advice: Download nextbus or a similar app if you have a smart phone and memorize the routes of the yellow colored rubber wheeled transit vehicles. 99% of the time your trip will be faster to take the D to Brookline Village or Reservoir or another connection and take a b-word to your destination than to try the B Line.

It took me three years to figure this one out, wish someone had told me.
"even a money tree would draw opposition in Boston "
FP10

Return to Massachusetts Bay Transportation Authority (MBTA)