Why high level?

Discussion relating to commuter rail, light rail, and subway operations of the MBTA.

Moderators: CRail, sery2831

Re: Why high level?

Postby jonnhrr » Wed Sep 12, 2012 1:09 pm

diburning wrote:On a related note, Porter's mini-high does not line up with the coaches on Track 2. Because the curve into the station is elevated, the platform is lower than the doorway on the coach by a few inches.

Porter could really use full highs given the number of people that transfer to/from the Red Line there.

Jon
Avatar Photo - P&W local from Gardner to Worcester at Morgan Rd., Hubbardston
jonnhrr

Postby F-line to Dudley via Park » Wed Sep 12, 2012 1:40 pm

jonnhrr wrote:
diburning wrote:On a related note, Porter's mini-high does not line up with the coaches on Track 2. Because the curve into the station is elevated, the platform is lower than the doorway on the coach by a few inches.

Porter could really use full highs given the number of people that transfer to/from the Red Line there.

Jon

Agreed. And lots of people opt to take the free inbound trip on mornings when the Red Line is totally FUBAR'ed, which can really fill up the platform.
F-line to Dudley via Park

Postby The EGE » Wed Sep 12, 2012 1:45 pm

I wonder if it's related to the skinniness of the platform - you wouldn't want the three-foot-wide end being 4 feet high. But even shortening the platform - but raising it - would be better.
"Give me an unobstructed right-of-way and I'll show them how to move the earth!"
The EGE

Postby F-line to Dudley via Park » Wed Sep 12, 2012 1:56 pm

The EGE wrote:I wonder if it's related to the skinniness of the platform - you wouldn't want the three-foot-wide end being 4 feet high. But even shortening the platform - but raising it - would be better.

http://goo.gl/maps/Ehl61

They can fix that by shifting the outbound track a couple feet. It was built with the narrow pinch because the old side platform and stairs from Somerville Ave. were still in-service while the new center platform was being constructed circa '83-84. There's an extra 5-6 feet to be had down there if the outbound track were spaced uniformly from the retaining wall for the full length of the station instead of pinching in for the length of the abandoned platform. They'd have to demolish the rotted remains of the old stairs, spend a Saturday afternoon with the tamping machine realigning the outbound track (much like they recently did at Yawkey), then voila!...all the width in the world to put in a nice uniformly fat 800 ft. high-level.
F-line to Dudley via Park

Previous

Return to Massachusetts Bay Transportation Authority (MBTA)