T plans to save historic tilework at south station

Discussion relating to commuter rail, light rail, and subway operations of the MBTA.

Moderators: CRail, sery2831

T plans to save historic tilework at south station

Postby trigonalmayhem » Sun Jan 23, 2005 3:59 pm

and possibly elsewhere from the sound of it.

http://www.boston.com/news/local/massachusetts/articles/2005/01/23/south_bay_shoppers_dont_rush_home_with_their_treasures?pg=3

(2nd item, "Buried History")

‘‘It is the MBTA’s intent to save and restore the mosaic tile display,’’ wrote MBTA spokesman Joe Pesaturo. ‘‘The MBTA has directed the contractor to obtain a price for restoring the chipped and damaged tile pieces.’’
trigonalmayhem

Postby jwhite07 » Sun Jan 23, 2005 5:33 pm

VERY nice. Good for the T to once again realize its historic roots.

I like the idea of saving other mosaics, too (as I mentioned recently, I know there's a couple of mosaics in pretty good condition under the new tilework at Andrew). Those Scollay Under mosaics really must be saved... it'd be a shame to lose something like that.
jwhite07

Postby efin98 » Sun Jan 23, 2005 6:00 pm

The word ‘‘Under’’ was placed after just about every stop on Boston’s relatively new underground subway, a way to tell passengers new to the system that the station was, in fact, underground

Either that's a foul up on the Globe's part or I missed something. I could have sworn it was for the seperate lines(Park Street and Park Street Under etc.) rather than "under" the streets...
efin98

Postby trigonalmayhem » Sun Jan 23, 2005 6:05 pm

Yeah, I'm pretty sure "South Station Under" was to differentiate it from the Atlantic Ave El, right?
trigonalmayhem

Postby jwhite07 » Sun Jan 23, 2005 9:28 pm

The article also claims that George Sanborn said that South Station Under dates back to 1900. Not so, and I find it hard to believe that Mr. Sanborn would make an error like that. In fact, I would not be surprised at all if he could rattle off the actual opening date for South Station Under without even having to look it up!

(For the curious, South Station Under opened on December 3, 1916. And yes, I did have to look it up.)
jwhite07

Postby vanshnookenraggen » Sun Jan 23, 2005 9:35 pm

Infact, South Station itself didn't open until 1902! (Shepley, Rutan, & Cooledge) George is showing his age.
Last edited by vanshnookenraggen on Mon Jan 24, 2005 12:35 am, edited 1 time in total.
vanshnookenraggen

Postby Ron Newman » Sun Jan 23, 2005 10:27 pm

Which South Station opened first -- the railroad station, the Red Line station, or the Atlantic Avenue El station?
Ron Newman

Postby efin98 » Sun Jan 23, 2005 10:33 pm

Ron Newman wrote:Which South Station opened first -- the railroad station, the Red Line station, or the Atlantic Avenue El station?

In order: Terminal, Atlantic Ave. El, Red Line.
efin98

Postby RailBus63 » Mon Jan 24, 2005 12:42 pm

Don't Broadway and Central have restored mosaics like this?

JD
RailBus63

Postby jwhite07 » Mon Jan 24, 2005 1:03 pm

Yes they do, and there's a whole bunch of them in the Harvard trackless tunnel, too.
jwhite07

Postby Stephen » Tue Mar 08, 2005 10:24 am

‘‘It is the MBTA’s intent to save and restore the mosaic tile display,’’ wrote MBTA spokesman Joe Pesaturo. ‘‘The MBTA has directed the contractor to obtain a price for restoring the chipped and damaged tile pieces.’’

Next time you are at South Station, take a look. They did a very good job cleaning it up. It is on the inbound platform about where the fourth car of a six car train stops.

I am curious to see how they integrate it with the modern tile work.

- Stephen
Stephen

Postby efin98 » Wed Mar 09, 2005 5:14 am

There really wasn't much work that needed to be done to the tiles, only sanding and polishing with a replacement of the few that were screwed through...the other side's tile work appears to be there as well, however it looked like it was too far gone to restore to the level that the other one was...
efin98

Return to Massachusetts Bay Transportation Authority (MBTA)