Herald Opinion against Transit Expansion

Discussion relating to commuter rail, light rail, and subway operations of the MBTA.

Moderators: CRail, sery2831

Herald Opinion against Transit Expansion

Postby apodino » Sun Jan 23, 2005 1:11 pm

http://news.bostonherald.com/opinion/view.bg?articleid=63804&format=

I kinda understand where this guy is coming from but I respectfully disagree with him on a few things. There are still some areas that are underserved and could use transit. I would have rather spent money on FR/NB than Greenbush because I think there are other options from there and FR/NB is much larger and needs rail links to Boston.

The T doesn't help itself by pushing costly projects like Silver Line Phase 3 instead of Light Rail using existing infastructure. That having been said, I would not have a problem with Arborway never being restored or stuff like that. Thoughts on this article, and do you guys agree or disagree?
Rich "Dino" Martin
A one time happy rider of Arborway and the old Washington St. El.
apodino

Postby CS » Sun Jan 23, 2005 2:20 pm

Well I say (respectfully) YOU may not have a problem with Arborway not being restored, but many JP residents will.
Look at everything like this - does the person in Fall River really need to get to Boston, or does the transit dependant person in Roxbury need to get Downtown without waiting for a 30 minuite late bus in the freezing cold?
CS

Postby efin98 » Sun Jan 23, 2005 5:54 pm

Expansion is good. Expansion at the expense of much more needed projects is not. Expansion by way of blackmail(as is attempted in some of the projects) is downright crap.

Each project has to fight with every other for funding, once you start a project you can not stop lest the project get abandoned or become a new Big Dig like Greenbush.
efin98

Postby trigonalmayhem » Sun Jan 23, 2005 6:08 pm

I still say that the Somerville/West Medford extension is the most important transit expansion project still on the table.
trigonalmayhem

Postby efin98 » Sun Jan 23, 2005 6:26 pm

trigonalmayhem wrote:I still say that the Somerville/West Medford extension is the most important transit expansion project still on the table.

At the expense of Lynn and Salem and JP and New Bedford and Fall River...rob from Peter to pay Paul regardless of what you do. What gets built is what is needed the most, regardless of how politically connected or how vocal the proponants are.
efin98

Postby Charliemta » Sun Jan 23, 2005 6:50 pm

The term "social engineering" used often by anti-transit forces was unfortunately present in the subject article. To these people, it's okay to build more highways at the expense of transit improvemnts, thereby forcing more people to drive. This to them is not "social engineering", but any amount of transit expansion is.

I think the highest priority, most cost effective transit/rail expansions would be:

- A Green Line extension to Union Square via railroad ROW, constructing new bridges as needed.
- Blue Line extension to Lynn.
- Convert Silverline from Boylston Station to Dudley as a light rail branch of the Green Line. Do not build Silverline Phase III.
Long live the "El"
Charliemta

Postby ithjames » Sun Jan 23, 2005 11:41 pm

I'm just wondering, has anything good come out of the Silver Line with it now expanding into South Boston? Is just seems like the T does whatever they want to do sometimes.
ithjames

Postby atlantis » Mon Jan 24, 2005 12:35 pm

Another example of "social engineering" that the pro-road anti-transit people advocate is the Sagamore Flyover. The state refuses to support an existing public-private sector partnership to restore passenger rail service to the Cape. This service would utilize existing rail lines and stations that were improved by our tax dollars in the eighties. It would link Hyannis and Middleboro/Lakeville for service to Boston and could forshadow a much more extensive rail service on the Cape at some future point.
This service would be a fraction of the cost of the Flyover and would involve no land takings by eminent domain The Flyover construction has seen several folks evicted from their homes.
Rail service a magic bullet? Of course not, but at the very least, it would provide transit equity to Cape residents and visitors. The Flyover, is nothing more than a phallic symbol. (At least IMHO) and would favor the driver over the community. Ultimately, in the long run, the road project would breed even more traffic and air pollution.
This is one of the more regressive policies the state has undertaken in transportation, IMHO, since Mr. Romney took office.
Just my $0.02 :wink:
If Boston to Cape Cod rail service occurs in 2012 I will eat a jelly doughnut dipped in tomato sauce.
atlantis

Return to Massachusetts Bay Transportation Authority (MBTA)