Reservoir loop photos and track charts?

Discussion relating to commuter rail, light rail, and subway operations of the MBTA.

Moderators: CRail, sery2831

Re: Reservoir loop photos and track charts?

Postby MBTA3247 » Fri Sep 07, 2012 11:09 pm

I got an email from Tom Humphrey the other day about this. He said there was a private double-track ROW alongside Chestnut Hill Ave from the loop down to the west entrance of Reservoir Yard/Shop.
"The destination of this train is [BEEP BEEP]" -announcement on an Ashmont train.
MBTA3247

Postby Disney Guy » Sat Sep 08, 2012 6:38 am

Here is a track map (not to scale) for the Reservoir area ca 1974, from the June-July 1974 issue of Rollsign, published by the Boston Street Railway Association. I'm sure the parts I drew in in red, were still in existence then.

From the beginning of service in 1959 through at least the end of the PCC era, all inbound cars used the outermost track, at the bottom of the diagram.
Attachments
cc231b.JPG
cc231b.JPG (18.98 KiB) Viewed 1594 times
(To the theater stage manager) Quit twiddling the knob and flickering the lights while the audience is entering and being seated. (To the subway motorman) Quit twiddling the knob and dinging the doors while passengers are getting off and others are waiting to board.
Disney Guy

Postby Arborwayfan » Sun Sep 09, 2012 10:14 pm

Thanks everyone. Very interesting. Disney' Guy, that diagram is great.
Arborwayfan

Postby The EGE » Thu Sep 20, 2012 1:46 am

This seems like the right place to put this. I just finished a map for Wikipedia that shows the whole Riverside yard plus a bit of the area around it. It's not perfectly accurate especially in regards to crossovers, but I'm proud of it.

Full version: http://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:Riverside.svg
"Give me an unobstructed right-of-way and I'll show them how to move the earth!"
The EGE

Postby CircusFreakGRITZ » Thu Sep 20, 2012 8:06 am

Wow, that's really cool! Maybe I'll use that as a track plan for my MBTA model train layout some day when I'm rich and have enough space for it. :)
CircusFreakGRITZ

Postby boblothrope » Thu Sep 20, 2012 4:55 pm

The EGE wrote:This seems like the right place to put this. I just finished a map for Wikipedia that shows the whole Riverside yard plus a bit of the area around it. It's not perfectly accurate especially in regards to crossovers, but I'm proud of it.

Full version: http://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:Riverside.svg

Thanks!

I'd also love to see a map that shows pedestrian paths in the area, both official and unofficial.

Specifically, I'd like to know if it's possible to walk to the station using either of the two footbridges over the river (one on each side of the Commuter Rail tracks), or the pedestrian underpass at the abandoned B&A station.
boblothrope

Postby The EGE » Thu Sep 20, 2012 5:34 pm

The whole area around the B&A station is a weird mix of abandoned and blocked-off places. The old Riverside park off Recreation Road is still nominally open - and mowed - but is only accessible on an unmarked ramp to a ramp by car. By foot, one walks down an abandoned section of ramp and in the breakdown lane. The southern footbridge is in good shape but nominally roped off.

There were 3 ways to access the old station: the pedestrian underpass from Charles Street, along the Highland Branch tracks from the southern of the two footbridges (which may have also led to an abandoned footpath up the hill), and from the loop of Recreation Road. All three have some variety of no-trespassing markings which I recommend following. Aerial imagery shows the asphalt platform still in position but no trace of the old H. H. Richardson depot.

The north footbridge is accessible only from Harvard boathouse property (and a rowing coach was willing to give me permission to photograph from it) but its west end is in a water plant construction site.

In short: there's almost no pedestrian access to the old B&A station. Your best bet for viewing is to find a friend with the authority to be there.

It'd be an interesting location for a fan tour. Besides the old Riverside station site, there's the old Woodland station (now on a golf course) and several CMass stations within a short driving distance.
"Give me an unobstructed right-of-way and I'll show them how to move the earth!"
The EGE

Postby Rbts Stn » Fri Sep 21, 2012 9:28 am

The EGE wrote:The whole area around the B&A station is a weird mix of abandoned and blocked-off places. The old Riverside park off Recreation Road is still nominally open - and mowed - but is only accessible on an unmarked ramp to a ramp by car. By foot, one walks down an abandoned section of ramp and in the breakdown lane. The southern footbridge is in good shape but nominally roped off.

There were 3 ways to access the old station: the pedestrian underpass from Charles Street, along the Highland Branch tracks from the southern of the two footbridges (which may have also led to an abandoned footpath up the hill), and from the loop of Recreation Road. All three have some variety of no-trespassing markings which I recommend following. Aerial imagery shows the asphalt platform still in position but no trace of the old H. H. Richardson depot.

The north footbridge is accessible only from Harvard boathouse property (and a rowing coach was willing to give me permission to photograph from it) but its west end is in a water plant construction site.

Do you have any of those photos available for viewing?

The EGE wrote:In short: there's almost no pedestrian access to the old B&A station. Your best bet for viewing is to find a friend with the authority to be there.

It'd be an interesting location for a fan tour. Besides the old Riverside station site, there's the old Woodland station (now on a golf course) and several CMass stations within a short driving distance.

I didn't know there was an old Woodland Station. Used to commute to Jordan Marsh's corporate offices on Grove Street (the building across the tracks from Riverside), so rode by there twice/day for quite some time.
Rbts Stn

Postby boblothrope » Fri Sep 21, 2012 1:40 pm

The EGE wrote:The whole area around the B&A station is a weird mix of abandoned and blocked-off places. The old Riverside park off Recreation Road is still nominally open - and mowed - but is only accessible on an unmarked ramp to a ramp by car. By foot, one walks down an abandoned section of ramp and in the breakdown lane. The southern footbridge is in good shape but nominally roped off.

Thanks. But I actually meant to ask if there was access to the current Green Line station.

I don't understand your third way to access the B&A station ("from the loop of Recreation Road"). Wouldn't you have to take the same southern footbridge as in the second way?

For the north footbridge, do you mean the Stoller Boathouse? That's owned by Lasell College, not Harvard.
boblothrope

Postby CircusFreakGRITZ » Fri Sep 21, 2012 3:47 pm

Rbts Stn wrote:

Do you have any of those photos available for viewing?

The EGE wrote:In short: there's almost no pedestrian access to the old B&A station. Your best bet for viewing is to find a friend with the authority to be there.

I didn't know there was an old Woodland Station. Used to commute to Jordan Marsh's corporate offices on Grove Street (the building across the tracks from Riverside), so rode by there twice/day for quite some time.

You can see it on Google Maps next to the Woodland Golf Course and in between Riverside and Woodland stations, right next to the tracks.

I uploaded an admittedly bad video of it to YouTube, so you can get an idea of what it looks like:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FJf8_wFmLuU
CircusFreakGRITZ

Postby The EGE » Fri Sep 21, 2012 8:04 pm

Woodland station, public domain images from June 1959 from Wikimedia Commons:
http://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/File: ... 0993pr.jpg

http://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/File: ... 0992pr.jpg

I'm currently making a map of the old Riverside station area showing the access points.

Roberts, I'll PM you some images which aren't public (yet).
The EGE

Postby The EGE » Fri Sep 21, 2012 9:55 pm

The platform is in red. The underpass in in yellow, the south footbridge route in blue, and the other route from the loop is in green. If you wish to go in person, the red dots are the furthest limits you can go go before hitting a No Trespassing sign.

The sections marked in purple are unquestionable legal to walk.

Around the new station, Grove Street is really the only place to walk until you get to side streets. Most streets there (except for highway ramps) have sidewalks or are very quiet.
The EGE

Postby Rbts Stn » Mon Sep 24, 2012 8:38 am

Must have gone by that old Woodland station 500 times. I bet I noticed it then, but that was 30 years ago, and things seep out.

Great map of the loop area, I'll have to check that out while I still have my wits about me.
Rbts Stn

Postby boblothrope » Mon Sep 24, 2012 12:35 pm

The EGE wrote:The platform is in red. The underpass in in yellow, the south footbridge route in blue, and the other route from the loop is in green.

Thanks again! (Custom maps to answer my question -- you sure are a dedicated poster.)

So there's a third footbridge in the middle, next to the active commuter rail tracks?
boblothrope

Postby The EGE » Mon Sep 24, 2012 3:00 pm

No; that is the asphalt platform which crosses the arch bridge next to the CR tracks. Like all the original B&A inside Framingham, the bridge was built for 4 tracks but only carries 2 now.
The EGE

PreviousNext

Return to Massachusetts Bay Transportation Authority (MBTA)