Woman goes face first into the tracks at Kendall, w/ baby

Discussion relating to commuter rail, light rail, and subway operations of the MBTA.

Moderators: CRail, sery2831

Woman goes face first into the tracks at Kendall, w/ baby

Postby jr145 » Thu Aug 23, 2012 7:27 pm

Looks like she got tunnel vision and came through the gate and just saw the train in front of her, and didn't notice it was on the other side of the tracks. I've seen a lot of things, but this is a new one.

http://www.wcvb.com/news/local/metro/-/ ... index.html
jr145

Re: Woman goes face first into the tracks at Kendall, w/ bab

Postby MBTA3247 » Thu Aug 23, 2012 7:51 pm

Tunnel vision... subway... I get it. :P
"The destination of this train is [BEEP BEEP]" -announcement on an Ashmont train.
MBTA3247

Postby joshg1 » Thu Aug 23, 2012 10:41 pm

Says she'll drive in from now on- with vision like that I'd rather she risk train travel. And who drives from Attleboro to park near Kendall $$ to get to Boston?
joshg1

Postby 3rdrail » Thu Aug 23, 2012 11:34 pm

She reminded me of one of those Roadrunner cartoons where he walks right of a mountain cliff and doesn't drop until he realizes what he has just done. In her case it was immediate. (Might be a good idea to check her citizenship status.)
~Paul Joyce~
[i]Moderator: Toy Trains, Model Railroading, Outdoor and Live Steam

Paul Joyce passed away in August, 2013. We honor his memory and his devotion at railroad.net.
3rdrail

Postby octr202 » Fri Aug 24, 2012 7:15 am

It'd be a new one if not for the fact that this already happened a few months ago at Central:

http://www.universalhub.com/2012/wife-b ... ral-square

I love how when I got to work this morning (in Kendall Sq) TV news trucks were all lined up to report this breaking news that happened two days ago. At least they were all blocking the shuttle buses that serve the station from getting to the curb at their stop. :-/
Wondering if I'll see the Haverhill double-tracking finished before I retire...
Photo: Melbourne W7 No. 1019 on Route 78, Bridge & Church Streets, Richmond, Victoria. 10/21/2010
octr202

Location: In the land of the once and future 73 trackless trolley.

Postby SM89 » Fri Aug 24, 2012 7:29 am

I'm glad this site exists or I still would have had no idea WHY she did it. Not one newscast reported why it happened. They just said that she walked onto the tracks. It makes much more sense knowing that she thought she was walking to the train on the other side.
SM89

Postby theseaandalifesaver » Fri Aug 24, 2012 11:22 am

I don't feel and sympathy for her at all but I feel bad for the child who was more or less dragged down with her.
theseaandalifesaver

Postby 3rdrail » Fri Aug 24, 2012 1:19 pm

I do. I think that this was a cultural mistake. My guess would be that she's from a country that doesn't have subways and where there is a mad, chaotic scramble to board trains. I have less sympathy for the legions of drunks who have gone into the pit - some have come out whole, some not.
~Paul Joyce~

Paul Joyce passed away in August, 2013. We honor his memory and his devotion at railroad.net.
3rdrail

Postby Teamdriver » Fri Aug 24, 2012 3:02 pm

One of the Tv stations interviewed her and said she is going back to India to re-charge herself spiritually or something like that.She just got confused somehow, but as the Rail said , there may be cultural issues involved regarding their perceptions of safety and infrastructures.
Indian Train : http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S4ZW0PTm ... detailpage
Teamdriver

Postby caduceus » Fri Aug 24, 2012 4:15 pm

I can't say too much...a few months ago I was heading out the front door of the office building to help someone moving equipment. Wasn't paying a lot of attention as I was thinking about several fires that needed putting out...and instead of walking through the open doorway, instead walked straight into a pane of glass. Glass remained intact, but I had a black eye for a while. Felt REAL stupid.

Given the short distance from the fare gates to the pit, I can see how some unfamiliar with the station and not paying a lot of attention would think they have a lot more distance...
First law of public transportation: You can never be early, but you can always be late.
caduceus

Postby 3rdrail » Fri Aug 24, 2012 6:57 pm

Yup, I know the feeling well, caduceus. I remember walking along a beach in Hyannis Port a few years back. Suddenly, I was confronted by a man walking along the beach trouserless ! I tried to avert his gaze, but when he saw me, he staggered up to where I was. I could see that he was absolutely pickled drunk. He said to me, "Can you help me find my pahnts ?" in a very stilted phoney Boston Brahmin accent. When I tried to ignore him he started yelling at me, "I'm Teddy. You're supposed to respect me. I'm due bahck at the compound !" What reminded me of this incident at Kendall was that at that moment, I realized that his "pahnts" were actually twisted in a knot down around his ankles, and at that exact moment, down he went into the sand, tripping on them and screaming "I could of been the damn president !" I said, "Yeah pal, I could have been the Easter Bunny, and left him lying there.
~Paul Joyce~

3rdrail

Postby agarturbo » Fri Aug 24, 2012 8:39 pm

One would have to be in a real fog to think that the train on the other side of the station is the one you are supposed to get on. There is a 12 ft wide pit with 3 rails and several support girders in between the south bound platform and the north bound train. Not to mention the 10" inch yellow line indicating caution. The doors on the north bound train weren't even open on that side! I have done some boneheaded things in my day - and I work a few blocks from Kendall Sq station and get on and off the red line there every day there - but this one I just don't get. Nice face-plant, though. I'll give her 9 out 10 for form and style (and 11 out of 10 for those who jumped into the pit to help her kid). I hope the kid is ok.
Trains don't run on schedules, son. They run on tracks.
agarturbo

Return to Massachusetts Bay Transportation Authority (MBTA)