Countdown Signs Discussion

Discussion relating to commuter rail, light rail, and subway operations of the MBTA.

Moderators: CRail, sery2831

Re: MBTA finally enters the 1970's

Postby RedLantern » Tue Dec 11, 2012 4:31 am

How is the data actually calculated? Is it using data from the signal system to detect the location of each train? Is it running based on average time from fixed locations such as each station?
Trains aren't dangerous, it's lack of common sense that's dangerous.
RedLantern

Postby diburning » Tue Dec 11, 2012 4:59 am

I'm not sure, but it seems that the countdown timers at the stations may be using a different system or is obtaining different data than what the MBTA releases as "real time data." I've noticed that the real time data released for app developers isn't quite correct. For example, it would show a train between station B and station C when it's really between station A and station B, approaching station B. The apps/tracker sites with countdown timers sometimes count down to 0:00 and no train would show up.

However, I've never seen an in-station countdown timer that has ever been wrong.
diburning

Postby SM89 » Tue Dec 11, 2012 8:53 am

As of last night around 10pm the countdown signs were on from at least Sullivan to Roxbury Crossing. They were back to just the time in the corner this morning though. I know they're still in testing, but it seemed the only obvious issue was that some trains would show up as "train" instead of "oak grove" or "frst hills". Also, the display in the lobby at Ruggles had something completely different than what was on the platform display.
SM89

Postby Adams_Umass_Boston » Tue Dec 11, 2012 5:32 pm

They now have them at Wood Island and Government Center. They weren't working.
Adams_Umass_Boston

Postby The EGE » Tue Dec 11, 2012 6:02 pm

Signs on the Green Line areas at Haymarket and Government Center were set to the time only this afternoon; those at North Station were turned off entirely.
"Give me an unobstructed right-of-way and I'll show them how to move the earth!"
The EGE

Postby CircusFreakGRITZ » Sun Dec 16, 2012 11:54 am

Adams_Umass_Boston wrote:They now have them at Wood Island and Government Center. They weren't working.

Gov't Center? That makes total sense, given they are shutting down the station soon. -_-
CircusFreakGRITZ

Postby diburning » Sun Dec 16, 2012 12:33 pm

Central is set up with the clock in the corner, but no info yet.

Charles/MGH may or may not get it. The signs are narrower in height than the other ones, and they don't display the time. Also, when an announcement is made, for example "Attention Passengers, the next red line train to Alewife is now approaching" the message is displayed on BOTH sides.
diburning

Postby The EGE » Sun Dec 16, 2012 3:01 pm

When the new GM takes over tomorrow, she'll be unveiling some new signs.

Scott plans to greet customers at two T stations and unveil new countdown clocks that will let customers know how long before the next train arrives.

http://www.timesunion.com/news/article/ ... 121131.php
"Give me an unobstructed right-of-way and I'll show them how to move the earth!"
The EGE

Postby SM89 » Mon Dec 17, 2012 8:34 am

24 additional stations along the blue, orange, and red lines now have their countdown signs up and running as of this morning (no longer in testing). Maybe they will be able to get them all done by the end of the year as originally announced?
SM89

Postby saulblum » Mon Dec 17, 2012 2:51 pm

SM89 wrote:24 additional stations along the blue, orange, and red lines now have their countdown signs up and running as of this morning (no longer in testing). Maybe they will be able to get them all done by the end of the year as originally announced?

The rollout of these signs to every other line is making the Green Line signaling deficiencies clear to riders.
saulblum

Postby boblothrope » Mon Dec 17, 2012 3:42 pm

SM89 wrote:24 additional stations along the blue, orange, and red lines now have their countdown signs up and running as of this morning (no longer in testing). Maybe they will be able to get them all done by the end of the year as originally announced?

Where did you hear that it was 24 stations? I noticed a few stations went live Sunday night, but was there an official announcement today?
boblothrope

Postby Adams_Umass_Boston » Mon Dec 17, 2012 3:54 pm

boblothrope wrote:

Where did you hear that it was 24 stations? I noticed a few stations went live Sunday night, but was there an official announcement today?

Its been a big story all day Bob
http://boston.cbslocal.com/2012/12/17/n ... gins-work/
Adams_Umass_Boston

Postby BostonUrbEx » Tue Dec 18, 2012 3:48 pm

I don't understand why they can't put the date under the current time...

If you can fit "12:30" (for example), then you can fit "12/18" in the empty space under it.
BostonUrbEx

Postby The EGE » Sat Dec 22, 2012 2:27 am

Countdown sign last night at Haymarket:

http://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/File: ... r_2012.JPG

The signs on the Green Line platforms at the transfer stations are still displaying only the time in the corner.
The EGE

Postby diburning » Sat Dec 22, 2012 10:18 pm

Frst Hills eh? Looks more like an abbreviation for "Frost Hills" instead of Forest Hills.
diburning

PreviousNext

Return to Massachusetts Bay Transportation Authority (MBTA)