Looking for a particular station...

Discussion relating to commuter rail, light rail, and subway operations of the MBTA.

Moderators: CRail, sery2831

Looking for a particular station...

Postby ryanov » Wed Jan 19, 2005 12:52 am

When I was a kid, I was at one of the stations on the Green Line. I think it was Haymarket, but I'm not sure. It was really neat, though, and I think the subway was actually on rails that were set into the concrete of the floor, as if there was no separation from the tracks and the platform... it was akin to an underground mall with the green line just running down the corridors, and I believe there was even a curve where it headed off in another direction, but still pretty much right in the middle of the floor. Is my memory foggy, or is there actually a station like this? If so, is it Haymarket? Any pictures anyplace?
|=| R. Novosielski |=|
ryanov

Postby CRail » Wed Jan 19, 2005 7:21 am

No such station that I can recall, unless Haymarket rebuilt.
Moderator: Massachusetts Bay Transportation Authority
Avatar:3679A (since wrecked)/3623B (now in service as 3636B).
CRail

Postby jwhite07 » Wed Jan 19, 2005 7:30 am

Depends on when you were a kid. :-D

The Haymarket Station I know had (and still has) a more traditional ballasted trackway. There was, however, an old Haymarket Station slightly north of the current one, that existed until 1971. I can't speak on how that one looked, as it was closed several months before I was born!

A much more likely possibility is the outbound Brattle Loop track at Government Center. It's got the curve you remember (coming off the loop), and the tracks are set in concrete at the same level as the platform. You were close - it's the next station in from Haymarket.

Another less likely possibility is Park Street, specifically the northbound through track. Until recently, the trackway was decked over with wooden planks allow passengers to cross over the tracks to get from the inside platform to the outside one. It's still possible to do this, but the platforms have now been raised eight inches, so it's a step down and then back up to cross the track. The trackway itself is now covered with hard rubber panels like you see at grade crossings instead of wood.
jwhite07

Postby RailBus63 » Wed Jan 19, 2005 8:47 am

When I read your post, I also thought of the old Park Street northbound. I don't know how old you are, but I remember Park Street before it was modernized in the 1970's - there was a bakery and also a snack bar (I believe) alongside the northbound track. That could have created the impression of trolley tracks running through a mall.

JD
RailBus63

Postby ryanov » Wed Jan 19, 2005 9:11 am

Seems the biggest problem was a lack of a timeframe... sorry about that... I was not a kid terribly long ago :-D I would say this is late 80's/early 90's which eliminates old Haymarket. Looks like this MAY be what I'm thinking of:

http://world.nycsubway.org/perl/show?35844 (at Government Center)

...which does look very much like what I mean, but so does Park Street:

http://world.nycsubway.org/perl/show?33120

...but I do not think there is a curve in the floor at this location. I must be thinking of Goverment Center. Does this loop still get used? I read somewhere that it has fallen into disuse, but then I see that this new paint schemed Type 7 is in the picture above, so...?
|=| R. Novosielski |=|
ryanov

Postby jwhite07 » Wed Jan 19, 2005 10:15 am

Brattle Loop is not used on a scheduled basis, but it is still used frequently. Recently, with the temporary closure of Lechmere Yard, cars that would have been stored there off-peak are being stored on the Brattle Loop track instead.

Brattle Loop also occasionally sees use whenever extra service between Government Center and North Station is needed, such as during major Fleet Center events.
jwhite07

Postby octr202 » Wed Jan 19, 2005 10:39 am

Ryanov,

How much of a curve do you recall? The track we're talking about at Park St. does have a noticable curve to it, albeit no where near as sharp as the Brattle Loop at Gov't. Center.

http://world.nycsubway.org/perl/show?14074
Wondering if I'll see the Haverhill double-tracking finished before I retire...
Photo: Melbourne W7 No. 1019 on Route 78, Bridge & Church Streets, Richmond, Victoria. 10/21/2010
octr202

Location: In the land of the once and future 73 trackless trolley.

Postby ryanov » Wed Jan 19, 2005 11:48 am

The real noteworthy thing for me is that the trains seemed to come from all different directions. Gov't Center seems to qualify, because there's a loop that curves around, and the other two tracks are somewhat at angles to each other. I wish I had a photo that illustrates it better to see if it's really what I'm thinking of, but I will be there in a week anyway...

This gives me some idea though:

http://world.nycsubway.org/us/boston/bostontr.gif
|=| R. Novosielski |=|
ryanov

Postby efin98 » Wed Jan 19, 2005 2:10 pm

I think it's Government Center, don't forget that there is another two curves as the two tracks come together literally outside the station heding towards Park Street.
efin98

Return to Massachusetts Bay Transportation Authority (MBTA)