Orange Line Past

Discussion relating to commuter rail, light rail, and subway operations of the MBTA.

Moderators: sery2831, CRail

Re: Orange Line Past

Postby 3rdrail » Sun Sep 23, 2012 4:58 pm

OK, FELLOW FOAMERS AND FOAMETTES. THE NUMBERS HAVE SPOKEN. I'VE COME UP WITH A FEW MORE JOINTS, ERR I MEAN ESTABLISHMENTS, SO WE'RE READY TO DO THE TALLY. (I UNDERSTAND THAT THERE ARE A LOT OF DOT AND SOUTHIE PEOPLE WATCHING CAREFULLY !!!)

BEGINNING AT THE SOUTHERN END OF THE EL ACCROSS NEARBY WASHINGTON STREET (3880 WASH @ TOLLGATE WAY, ROZZIE) AND FOLLOWING WASHINGTON STREET AND THE EL TO DOWNTOWN CROSSING (SUMMER/WINTER STREET STATIONS) = 5.216 MILES. 72 BARS IN 5.216 MILES = @ 13 BARS PER MILE ALONG THE AREA IMPACTING THE ORANGE LINE ! DOT AVE AND RED LINE PEOPLE, LET'S SEE YOU MATCH THAT !!! HAHAHA!!! (I ain't doin' it !) AND PROBABLY EVEN MORE IMPORTANTLY, NOW I KNOW WHY I SAW THAT DRUNK AT DOVER, AND AT GREEN, AND AT...

Richard's
The Fireside
The Tollgate Inn
Concannon's
Slattery's
Mike's
The Drinking Fountain
The Midway Cafe
Doyle's Cafe
The Old Stag
JA Club
The Plainsman
Egleston Grille
Sam's
Heavey's Cafe
Biarritz Lounge
Patio Lounge
The Highland Tap
Aga's
Mellen's Tavern
Eastside Tavern
Louie's Lounge
Basin Street South
Big Jim's Shanty
Green Cafe
Turf Tavern
Peter & Huck's
Butler's Cafe
Guthro & McCabes
Donovan's Tavern
Half Way Tavern
Old Oak Tavern
Shannon Cafe
Turf Tavern
Palm Gardens
Hotel Roosevelt "Cafe"
J.J.Foley's
OK Corral
Boston Bunnies
Four Corners
Boston Bunnies
Centerfolds
Glass Slipper
Good Time Charlies
Mousetrap Cabaret
Club 66
The Golden Nugget
The Novelty Lounge
Pal Joey's
The Intermission Lounge
The Golden Banana
Jerome's Lounge
Sneaky Pete's Hideaway Lounge
Pussycat Lounge (Pic-a-dilly Lounge)
Teddy Bare
Eros Lounge
Beantown Lounge
Living Room
663 Lounge
Naked i
Two O'Clock Lounge (The Downtown Lounge)
The Gilded Cage (Hotel Paramount)
Playland Cafe
Gateway
Izzy Ort's
Normandy Lounge
Blue Sands
Peter & Harry's
Avery Bar
Stoddards
Blackfriars
Opal Lounge
~Paul Joyce~
[i]Moderator: Toy Trains, Model Railroading, Outdoor and Live Steam

Paul Joyce passed away in August, 2013. We honor his memory and his devotion at railroad.net.
3rdrail

Postby Teamdriver » Sun Sep 23, 2012 7:15 pm

Good work , my Rail
Teamdriver

Postby 3rdrail » Sun Sep 23, 2012 9:59 pm

Thanks, TD ! That's a real complement coming from you ! It's like having Yves Saint Laurent tell you that you're a spiffy dresser ! hahaha!!! :-)
(Like your avitar also !)
Oh, by the way, the big MTA bar was the Fireside in Forest Hills. A lot of stories came out of that place, none which will be discussed here, I'll tell ya ! hahaha!!!
~Paul Joyce~

Paul Joyce passed away in August, 2013. We honor his memory and his devotion at railroad.net.
3rdrail

Postby Teamdriver » Mon Sep 24, 2012 12:39 pm

Did this Yves work at Anderson Little? Fireside= cash paychecks for $1..............
Teamdriver

Postby 3rdrail » Mon Sep 24, 2012 3:13 pm

Barbos. (HEY - I JUST HIT 5,000 POSTS !!! YAY !!! I THOUGHT THAT CHAMPAGNE, BALOONS, CONFETTI, AND DANCING GIRLS WERE GOING TO COME OUT OF MY COMPUTER !!!)
~Paul Joyce~

3rdrail

Postby jonnhrr » Wed Sep 26, 2012 1:34 pm

Dancing girls? Well maybe we could find the pretty young ladies that handed out cigars for the first revenue run of the 01400's in 1963. Of course they would probably be in their seventies now.

Jon
Avatar Photo - P&W local from Gardner to Worcester at Morgan Rd., Hubbardston
jonnhrr

Postby 3rdrail » Wed Sep 26, 2012 2:24 pm

jonnhrr wrote:Dancing girls? Well maybe we could find the pretty young ladies that handed out cigars for the first revenue run of the 01400's in 1963. Of course they would probably be in their seventies now.

Jon

70's might just work for an old coot of 60 (today) ! hahaha!!!! It's the cigars that might be a little dry !
~Paul Joyce~

3rdrail

Postby MarkB » Wed Sep 26, 2012 10:03 pm

The list has Aga's and the Highland Tap separate. Isn't that Aga's Highland Tap - one bar?
MarkB

Postby 3rdrail » Wed Sep 26, 2012 11:04 pm

You may be right, Mark. I worked the area in the early 80's and it was always known simply as Aga's. I know that they call themselves Aga's Highland Tap now, but I recall as a kid seeing what seems now to be a slightly different location than Aga's up from the El. I'm wondering if the Highland Tap may have been where that vacant lot is next door, perhaps owned by Aga ? In any event, Aga runs a good bar- one of the most controlled in the city. We never got a call for a disturbance there. I'll leave it seperate for now. It doesn't make any difference as far as the numbers being skewed. Maybe somebody else will pipe in if they want.
~Paul Joyce~

3rdrail

Postby Teamdriver » Thu Sep 27, 2012 7:23 am

My Rail, i believe from my work that it was the Highland Tap , and then Agamemnon , or Aga bought it. His brother Gigi , owned the strip joint in Stoughton , Alex's ,which is morphed from the last name. I am sure there must have been a slug of bars in that area, as it transitioned from one culture to another, and things change .
Teamdriver

Postby 3rdrail » Thu Sep 27, 2012 11:35 am

Yesireebob- we missed a lot of the corridor from Eggie to Mass Ave., I know for sure. A lot of bars heard the rumble of Main Line cars overhead. Now, those sounds are only a very distant memory for a select few. I'll make the change on the list, although the stats are the same = a lot of damn bars !!! Here's an "under the El" inside tid-bit for you; Much of the loot from the infamous Brinks robbery on Prince Street was never recovered. Participants went to the can as well as their grave without divulging where it was stashed. These were local times and local guys. They weren't "off-shore" bank account types. A persistant rumor over the years was that a lot of the Brinks proceeds was stashed somewhere in the Egleston Square vicinity. Now what better place to stash than a bar owned by a confederate ? Maybe there's a reason that that little bar has been left standing so long at Valentine/Wash ? hahaha!!! Now TD, I don't want to hear about your truck "accidentally" plowing through the wall there at 4AM !

Richard's
The Fireside
The Tollgate Inn
Concannon's
Slattery's
Mike's
The Drinking Fountain
The Midway Cafe
Doyle's Cafe
The Old Stag
JA Club
The Plainsman
Egleston Grille
Sam's
Heavey's Cafe
Biarritz Lounge
Patio Lounge
The Highland Tap (Aga's)
Mellen's Tavern
Eastside Tavern
Louie's Lounge
Basin Street South
Big Jim's Shanty
Green Cafe
Turf Tavern
Peter & Huck's
Butler's Cafe
Guthro & McCabes
Donovan's Tavern
Half Way Tavern
Old Oak Tavern
Shannon Cafe
Turf Tavern
Palm Gardens
Hotel Roosevelt "Cafe"
J.J.Foley's
OK Corral
Boston Bunnies
Four Corners
Boston Bunnies
Centerfolds
Glass Slipper
Good Time Charlies
Mousetrap Cabaret
Club 66
The Golden Nugget
The Novelty Lounge
Pal Joey's
The Intermission Lounge
The Golden Banana
Jerome's Lounge
Sneaky Pete's Hideaway Lounge
Pussycat Lounge (Pic-a-dilly Lounge)
Teddy Bare
Eros Lounge
Beantown Lounge
Living Room
663 Lounge
Naked i
Two O'Clock Lounge (The Downtown Lounge)
The Gilded Cage (Hotel Paramount)
Playland Cafe
Gateway
Izzy Ort's
Normandy Lounge
Blue Sands
Peter & Harry's
Avery Bar
Stoddards
Blackfriars
Opal Lounge
~Paul Joyce~

3rdrail

Postby Adams_Umass_Boston » Fri Oct 26, 2012 7:21 am

The Boston Public Library is exhibiting a display about the Orange Line Elevated.
http://www.bpl.org/exhibitions/

"An Elevated View: The Orange Line

Central Library, Copley Square (Wiggin Gallery)
October 19, 2012 – January 19, 2013
Monday, Wednesday, Friday, and Saturday 9am-5pm,
Tuesday and Thursday 9am-7pm, Sunday 1-5pm

Twenty five years ago, the MBTA relocated the Orange Line, dismantling the elevated rail that had long defined the City’s Southwest Corridor. Two years prior to the project, the private nonprofit agency URBANARTS organized, on behalf of the MBTA, a program called Arts in Transit. The project paired photographers with photography students to document the corridor in transition from Forest Hills to Dover Station. In the fall of 1985, the students and their teachers began photographing the Orange Line and its architectural and social surroundings. This exhibition features over 65 photographs from the project held by the BPL’s Print Department."
Adams_Umass_Boston

Postby Teamdriver » Sun Feb 24, 2013 8:55 am

Daily Boston Globe April 14, 1942

Demolition of 'El' From Forest Hills to Broadway is Urged

Demolition of the Elevated structure from Forest Hills to Broadway, thereby making available hundreds of thousands of tons of steel for the national war effort, was recommended by the Boston City Council at yesterday's session.

City Councilor James M. Langan of Jamaica Plain, who introduced the order, pointed out that the New York, New Haven and Hartford Railroad runs almost parallel to the Boston Elevated structure from Forest Hills to the Back Bay Station and that the "L" could use the abandoned rails of this railroad, inasmuch as they are of the same gauge.

Pres. Thomas E. Linehan appointed a committee comprising Councilor Langan, Councilor Thomas J. Hannon of Dorchester, and Councilor William F. Hurley of Roxbury to confer with Mayor Tobin and officials of the El relative to the advisability of razing the El structure.

http://rememberjamaicaplain.blogspot.co ... or-el.html
Teamdriver

Postby Disney Guy » Sun Feb 24, 2013 3:20 pm

Did any other cities take down used and useful infrastructure such as bridges to make steel and other materials available for World War II?
(To the theater stage manager) Quit twiddling the knob and flickering the lights while the audience is entering and being seated. (To the subway motorman) Quit twiddling the knob and dinging the doors while passengers are getting off and others are waiting to board.
Disney Guy

Postby wicked » Sun Feb 24, 2013 8:02 pm

I know the Atlantic Avenue El stopped service in the late 1930s, but didn't it come down during the WWII years for that very purpose?
wicked

Location: Middleborough/Lakeville, formerly WMATA Blue/Yellow denizen

PreviousNext

Return to Massachusetts Bay Transportation Authority (MBTA)