Attleboro/Providence Line

Discussion relating to commuter rail, light rail, and subway operations of the MBTA.

Moderators: CRail, sery2831

Attleboro/Providence Line

Postby pdxstreetcar » Tue Jan 18, 2005 8:08 pm

RI Governor Don Carcieri just gave his State of the State speech tonight and spoke briefly on the Commuter Rail extension to Warwick and Wickford Jct.

From his speech:
"This year, I am also determined to break ground on new train station in Warwick and to move forward with a new one in Wickford. I want to see commuter rail extend from Boston to South County. The new Warwick station will be a national model for inter-modal transportation, linking air, rail, and highway."

Also from Nov. 2004 about the Pawtucket Station:
City weighs private development of train station
An ordinance enabling the city to buy or condemn the train station was sidelined after a key City Council member expressed concern that city involvement would kill the first real private proposal to develop the property since 1987.
pdxstreetcar

Postby Ron Newman » Tue Jan 18, 2005 10:26 pm

Would the private development including a commuter rail stop? The cities should make that a condition of development.
Ron Newman

Postby pdxstreetcar » Tue Jan 18, 2005 11:09 pm

The article doesnt mention a commuter rail stop but I have to believe they will build one soon. Pawtucket really needs a station on the NEC. I would really like to see the station reopened and become a staffed station complete with a waiting room. The platforms and stairs still exist but would have to be rebuilt.
pdxstreetcar

Postby Cotuit » Wed Jan 19, 2005 10:39 am

From what I understand, everyone is on board wanting the station in Pawtucket to be reopened, but the T.F. Green Station is the priority with the state right now.
Cotuit

Postby pdxstreetcar » Sun Jan 23, 2005 12:14 pm

There was just an article in the Projo about the plan to build the shopping plaza at the old Pawtucket train station... under this plan the station would be demolished. Luckily the mayor is against the plan and blasted the city council for approving a zoning change on the site.

Link:
http://www.projo.com/blackstone/content ... d84aa.html
pdxstreetcar

Postby Ron Newman » Sun Jan 23, 2005 12:40 pm

Can the mayor veto it?

This statement from the article cannot possibly be correct: "No trains have stopped at the station since 1959, when the Penn Central Railroad went bankrupt." There was no Penn Central in 1959, and I've seen the Pawtucket stop on old MBTA commuter rail maps.
Ron Newman

Postby apodino » Sun Jan 23, 2005 2:05 pm

The last time any trains stopped in Pawtucket/Central Falls was 1981 before RI pulled funding for service. This is according to the well known article on Scott Moore's site.

That having been said, although the station may have been in use for service, often times they use the old station house when refering to the original station. I don't know when this station house at Pawtucket closed, but if it was in the 1950's the article, although somewhat misleading, may be true from a certain point of view.
Rich "Dino" Martin
A one time happy rider of Arborway and the old Washington St. El.
apodino

Postby pdxstreetcar » Sun Jan 23, 2005 3:58 pm

I think they meant to say that the station's waiting room/ticket office etc has been closed since 1959. That PennCentral error also puzzled me.

It would be a real shame to see the building demolished.

Here's pictures on the station:
http://www.artinruins.com/arch/decay/ce ... /index.php
pdxstreetcar

Return to Massachusetts Bay Transportation Authority (MBTA)