Saturday 8/4: Boston's Abandoned Subway Stations & Tunnels

Discussion relating to commuter rail, light rail, and subway operations of the MBTA.

Moderators: CRail, sery2831

Saturday 8/4: Boston's Abandoned Subway Stations & Tunnels

Postby savebowdoin » Thu Aug 02, 2012 8:18 pm

Hey all,

A little "public service announcement":

This Saturday, August 4, the Boston Street Railway Association's monthly meeting will feature an entertainment program presented by BSRA President and author Bradley H. Clarke, on Boston's abandoned subway stations and tunnels. It will include recent photos (and videos!) of locations line the Tremont Street Subway, Broadway station, Harvard/Holyoke, Harvard underground yard, Court Street station, and more.

All are welcome, and it's free to all. Starts at 7:30PM at the Grand Lodge of Masons in Boston (Boylston Station on the Green Line). The BSRA's usual business meeting begins at 7:30 (including a current events report) and is followed by the entertainment. It should be an AWESOME show, and I hope you'll all be able to make it! More info at http://www.thebsra.org, and the full official show description is below:

Bradley Clarke's Boston Underground Travels, Revisited
BSRA President Brad Clarke will present photos of a film crew in action in the abandoned Tremont Street Subway south of Boylston Street in May and July 2011, as they made videos of underground Boston for the Travel Channel. He'll also show scenes of Harvard/Holyoke station and the abandoned ramp to the streetcar tunnel across from it, plus some scouting trips to other hidden transit nooks and crannies. As a special bonus, we'll see a local film not shown in many years.
savebowdoin

Re: Saturday 8/4: Boston's Abandoned Subway Stations & Tunne

Postby BigUglyCat » Fri Aug 03, 2012 6:25 am

savebowdoin wrote:Hey all,

This Saturday, August 4, the Boston Street Railway Association's monthly meeting will feature an entertainment program presented by BSRA President and author Bradley H. Clarke, on Boston's abandoned subway stations and tunnels. It will include recent photos (and videos!) of locations line the Tremont Street Subway, Broadway station, Harvard/Holyoke, Harvard underground yard, Court Street station, and more.

It sounds fantastic! I only wish I could be there! Perhaps some of the photos will eventually show up in Rollsign.
BigUglyCat

Postby MACTRAXX » Fri Aug 03, 2012 5:01 pm

BigUglyCat wrote:
savebowdoin wrote:Hey all,

It sounds fantastic! I only wish I could be there! Perhaps some of the photos will eventually show up in Rollsign.

...or right here in the MBTA Forum at Railroad.Net!

MACTRAXX
EXPRESS TRAIN TO NEW YORK PENN STATION-NO JAMAICA ON THIS TRAIN-PLEASE STAND CLEAR OF THE CLOSING TRAIN DOORS
MACTRAXX

Postby BigUglyCat » Fri Aug 03, 2012 5:41 pm

MACTRAXX: Yeah, I guess I thought seeing pics here might be too optimistic. You're right: may it happen! :)

Mr. Clarke and friends? Are you listening?
BigUglyCat

Postby The EGE » Sat Aug 04, 2012 12:49 am

This article about the meeting lists several topics, including:

...the lost subway station at Northeastern University...

What's that? Was a station built underground for a never-completed extension of the Huntington Avenue subway? Or is this something completely different?
"Give me an unobstructed right-of-way and I'll show them how to move the earth!"
The EGE

Postby jrc520 » Sat Aug 04, 2012 8:22 am

I'll be there!
jrc520

Postby marlowe » Sat Aug 04, 2012 11:25 pm

Just got home from this, ended after 11pm. Great night overall, but IMHO could have skipped the video 'Boston Under:After Hours' since we can watch it on youtube. While it was nice to see photo's of old abandoned tunnels, etc (most of which I've seen in this forum) best part was last 30 mins. Mr Clarke showed old film from late 60's of Watertown line, fan trips of Riverside line + Arborway yard. I think about 1/2 left before it was shown.
marlowe

Postby jr145 » Mon Aug 06, 2012 7:03 am

I wish I had been around so I could have gone.
jr145

Postby BigUglyCat » Mon Aug 06, 2012 12:35 pm

marlowe wrote:Just got home from this, ended after 11pm. Great night overall, but IMHO could have skipped the video 'Boston Under:After Hours' since we can watch it on youtube...

Nice for those who hadn't seen it. As you say, I've seen it already on youtube. I think it was even a post here that directed me.
BigUglyCat

Postby Matthew » Fri Aug 10, 2012 8:19 pm

I really appreciated the film of the Watertown line in operation. Very interesting to compare then and now!
Matthew

Return to Massachusetts Bay Transportation Authority (MBTA)