Easy way to add to your transit book collection.

Discussion relating to commuter rail, light rail, and subway operations of the MBTA.

Moderators: CRail, sery2831

Easy way to add to your transit book collection.

Postby 3rdrail » Wed Aug 01, 2012 10:06 pm

Hey guys - there's a few books selling on ebay right now for $10.10 each on a "Buy it now" that I think are a great buy. (I'm not selling nor do I know who the seller is.) They are Rapid Transit Boston and South Shore T (Red Line). Also for about $10 is Boston's Commuter Rail and Change at Park Street Under, about the price on ebay for one small black and white trolley photo !These are long out of print and if I didn't already have them, I would have already snapped them up ! They're under Collectibles/Transportation/Traction & Trolleys. Good luck !
~Paul Joyce~
[i]Moderator: Toy Trains, Model Railroading, Outdoor and Live Steam

Paul Joyce passed away in August, 2013. We honor his memory and his devotion at railroad.net.
3rdrail

Re: Easy way to add to your transit book collection.

Postby theseaandalifesaver » Thu Aug 02, 2012 12:20 am

Those books are awesome! I recently found a bunch on Amazon for under $10.00 each. (around $12.00 after shipping)
theseaandalifesaver

Postby TomNelligan » Thu Aug 02, 2012 7:53 am

Mr. Joyce, you're making me feel old this morning. I was commissioned by the authors to shoot photos for two of those books (South Shore and Park Street), and I just realized that it was FORTY years ago. Wow.

The BSRA has done a fantastic job of documenting Boston's transit history over the years, and I know that there are lots of books on the subject (including the Arcadia series) but I think an updated version of Change At Park Street Under is way overdue. But that I mean an informal but reasonable comprehensive overview of the history of Boston rail transit from horsecar days until now, rather than a detailed focus on one line or genre like their excellent two-volume streetcar history.
TomNelligan

Postby 3rdrail » Thu Aug 02, 2012 12:29 pm

Tom, if you are old and you are calling me "Mister", what does that make me ? hahaha!!! Seriously though, the BSRA and Brad Clarke in particular, has filled a void in this field for technical excellence and print based upon documentable fact and not heresay, as is often the case in general when discussing trains. Brad has in the past, actually suspended the completion of such a piece, when the water became murky with too much information coming forth, resulting in what would have been la less than cohesive piece in the end. I think that for a great general overview of Boston's transit history, Cudahy's Change at Park Street Under is a winner. Covering all the lines as of it's 1972 publication date, it's not unmanageable as such a compendium could be. Perfect for the seasoned vet as well as the beginner. It is also written in a style that is both fun and engrossing.
~Paul Joyce~
[i]Moderator: Toy Trains, Model Railroading, Outdoor and Live Steam

Paul Joyce passed away in August, 2013. We honor his memory and his devotion at railroad.net.
3rdrail

Postby jonnhrr » Mon Aug 06, 2012 1:40 pm

I'll second that on Change at Park Street Under. Well worth getting.

His book on NY City is excellent also - I just got done reading that for the 2nd time. "Under the Sidewalks of new York". I believe it is still in print.

Jon
Avatar Photo - P&W local from Gardner to Worcester at Morgan Rd., Hubbardston
jonnhrr

Return to Massachusetts Bay Transportation Authority (MBTA)