Changes in LRV revenue hours

Discussion relating to commuter rail, light rail, and subway operations of the MBTA.

Moderators: CRail, sery2831

Changes in LRV revenue hours

Postby Matthew » Sun Jul 22, 2012 2:08 pm

I am looking at the NTD monthly data for the MBTA: specifically vehicle revenue hours for light rail over the past ten years. I plotted a chart and attached it to this post. Each monthly data point is divided by the number of days in the month, giving average vehicle revenue hours per day. As you can see in the chart, the average revenue hours stays fairly constant until it reaches certain discontinuities; presumably those mark where schedules or policy was changed.

My question is: does anyone know what the story is behind some of these changes? The biggest one seems to have occurred in JAN07, corresponding to the last major fare increase and policy change. But why did that result in a massive increase of vehicle revenue hours? Increase in number of 2-car trains? Another oddity: in JAN10, there was a 6-month surge in revenue hours that then fades back. There are also several small discontinuities, e.g. JUL04, JUL06, which probably correspond with adjustments made at the beginning of the fiscal year.
Attachments
mbta_light_rail_revhours_per_day.png
mbta_light_rail_revhours_per_day.png (97.68 KiB) Viewed 1163 times
Matthew

Re: Changes in LRV revenue hours

Postby Disney Guy » Mon Dec 10, 2012 7:12 pm

If I remember correctly, in the past there were single cars run during many off hours including mid-day.
At some point there was a "major" change to 2 car trains predominating and that must have been early in 2007 as the graph suggests.
(To the theater stage manager) Quit twiddling the knob and flickering the lights while the audience is entering and being seated. (To the subway motorman) Quit twiddling the knob and dinging the doors while passengers are getting off and others are waiting to board.
Disney Guy

Return to Massachusetts Bay Transportation Authority (MBTA)