MARC to build new storage tracks at Union Station

Discussion related to DC area passenger rail services from Northern Virginia to Baltimore, MD. Includes Light Rail and Baltimore Subway.

Moderators: mtuandrew, Robert Paniagua, therock

Re: MARC to build new storage tracks at Union Station

Postby cobra30689 » Sat Nov 01, 2014 8:01 am

Arlington wrote:Is Wedge Yard in use yet?

While it is in service by timetable, I have yet to see one piece of equipment in Ye Olde Yard of Wedge.
cobra30689

Postby ACeInTheHole » Sat Dec 06, 2014 8:16 pm

You realize how many ways you can twist that statement Cobra?
ACeInTheHole

Postby jcepler1 » Wed Dec 17, 2014 12:48 pm

This morning on a red line train I saw one single-level MARC car at the very end of the wedge yard.
jcepler1

Postby Arlington » Wed Dec 17, 2014 1:01 pm

jcepler1 wrote:This morning on a red line train I saw one single-level MARC car at the very end of the wedge yard.

Thanks for the update. I guess in the AM we'd expect it to be near-empty (all working cars are out on the system). More interesting is the question of how it looks Midday and overnight, when we'd expect to start seeing plenty of trainsets parked there.
"Trying to solve congestion by making roadways wider is like trying to solve obesity by buying bigger pants."--Charles Marohn
Arlington

Postby jcepler1 » Wed Dec 17, 2014 2:47 pm

Arlington wrote:
jcepler1 wrote:This morning on a red line train I saw one single-level MARC car at the very end of the wedge yard.

Thanks for the update. I guess in the AM we'd expect it to be near-empty (all working cars are out on the system). More interesting is the question of how it looks Midday and overnight, when we'd expect to start seeing plenty of trainsets parked there.

I should clarify that I passed by at about 10:30, which you would think would be late enough for the new yard to be full.
jcepler1

Postby mmi16 » Wed Dec 17, 2014 4:00 pm

Arlington wrote:

VRE overnights their equipment at Fredericksburg and Manassas. Camden line trains overnight at Riverside yard in Baltimore. Brunswick line trains overnight at Frederick, Martinsburg and Brunswick. I have no idea where Penn Line trains overnight.
Never too old to have a happy childhood!
mmi16

Postby strench707 » Wed Dec 17, 2014 7:52 pm

They plug most of the tracks in Baltimore with Penn Line sets overnight. Then more overnight at Martin State. I'd assume the leftover balance overnights in DC.

Davis
strench707

Postby jcepler1 » Wed Dec 24, 2014 3:53 pm

At 3:40pm today there were 3 marc cars in the wedge yard. No locomotive, but the lights were on. Must have been plugged into ground power
jcepler1

Postby jcepler1 » Thu Jan 15, 2015 12:14 pm

Driving past yesterday afternoon at 2:15 or so on New York Avenue, I saw three MARC trains in the wedge yard.
jcepler1

Postby Arlington » Thu Jan 15, 2015 1:18 pm

jcepler1 wrote:Driving past yesterday afternoon at 2:15 or so on New York Avenue, I saw three MARC trains in the wedge yard.

Yay! At last, a report of "real" usage there. Now to figure out if it's actually done operations any good....
"Trying to solve congestion by making roadways wider is like trying to solve obesity by buying bigger pants."--Charles Marohn
Arlington

Previous

Return to DC - Maryland - Virginia Area Passenger Rail: MTA(MARC), VRE, WMATA(Metro)