MARC GP40 & GP39 status

Discussion related to DC area passenger rail services from Northern Virginia to Baltimore, MD. Includes Light Rail and Baltimore Subway.

Moderators: Robert Paniagua, therock

Re: MARC GP40 & GP39 status

Postby ns3010 » Wed Jun 13, 2012 2:17 pm

How many are still on MARC property? I have sixteen units confirmed as leaving Maryland, with no trace of the other three. In addition to 68, 60 and 69 are the two I have no records of.
User avatar
ns3010
 
Posts: 1961
Joined: Sun Dec 21, 2008 12:53 pm
Location: MP 226.5

Re: MARC GP40 & GP39 status

Postby Jersey_Mike » Mon Jun 18, 2012 11:53 am

Saw a Geep 39 in Brunswick Yard yesterday. Can't recall the number offhand.
Jersey_Mike
 
Posts: 4689
Joined: Wed Mar 17, 2004 1:39 am
Location: CHARLES aka B&P JCT MP 95.9

Re: MARC GP40 & GP39 status

Postby realtype » Wed Jun 20, 2012 5:11 pm

The GP39's are all in service. They're not being retired afaik.
User avatar
realtype
 
Posts: 1498
Joined: Tue Oct 17, 2006 9:01 pm
Location: Germantown, MD

Re: MARC GP40 & GP39 status

Postby ns3010 » Fri Jun 22, 2012 12:52 pm

Yeah, I knew the 39's were staying. I meant the 40's. Sorry, should have been more specific...
User avatar
ns3010
 
Posts: 1961
Joined: Sun Dec 21, 2008 12:53 pm
Location: MP 226.5

Re: MARC GP40 & GP39 status

Postby strench707 » Thu Jun 28, 2012 11:20 am

There is still a MARC GP40WH-2 sitting in the Odenton, MD MoW base. A couple of weeks ago I also saw a GP40WH-2 parked in the small MARC yard near Track 7 in Union Station, it may have been the same one and was moved to Odenton. I assume they keep it around as a protect unit or Amtrak uses it for work train service. Did not catch the engine # either time, sorry.

Davis
User avatar
strench707
 
Posts: 950
Joined: Sun Oct 25, 2009 6:28 am

Re: MARC GP40 & GP39 status

Postby dt_rt40 » Sat Oct 26, 2013 11:04 am

Cor Blimey. You have to be the first international tourist ever to have traveled to DC just to see our lowly MARC commuter rail system.
Anyhow, hope you got to see something of interest. FWIW I hardly ever seen the old MARC diesels anymore...I thought one was still used for switching at Union Station but my memory could be from earlier this summer.
dt_rt40
 
Posts: 209
Joined: Sat Jan 13, 2007 11:45 am
Location: MD

Re: MARC GP40 & GP39 status

Postby amtrakhogger » Sun Oct 27, 2013 6:29 pm

The 68 usually is assigned to Odenton for protect/work train service.
"I will stop at St. Avold."
User avatar
amtrakhogger
 
Posts: 1839
Joined: Sun Jun 25, 2006 12:16 am
Location: "F" on the Camden and Amboy

Re: MARC GP40 & GP39 status

Postby realtype » Wed Nov 27, 2013 9:45 pm

A few weeks ago I took a day trip to NYC and on the way back to WAS on the last Regional of the night we passed a broken down train at Perryville station (we stopped to drop off a mechanic). It looks like they sent the GP40 (and Acela Express trainset) to rescue the train. I'm sure Amtrak is finding it pretty useful also when there are power outages along the NEC in MD, DE, and PA. I sometimes see it parked at Ivy CIty.
User avatar
realtype
 
Posts: 1498
Joined: Tue Oct 17, 2006 9:01 pm
Location: Germantown, MD

Re: MARC GP40 & GP39 status

Postby dt_rt40 » Tue Dec 03, 2013 6:05 am

realtype I'm confused by your account...do you mean you were on the Acela that dropped off the mechanic (presumably he got on at Wilm.) at Perryville...or that an Acela literally was driven up the corridor to deal with MARC passengers? That would have been hilarious! I think you can't mean that, because, how would they get people on & off?
About 4 years ago though, I remember the old late, late MARC couldn't reach Perryville because of a mechanical problem. It was snowy and I'd missed the 8:37 Amtrak/MARC-monthly from Aberdeen. There was an announcement that an Amtrak train would be stopping to pick us up. A few minutes later an Acela was slowing down approaching the station. I thought, you gotta be kidding me? It's almost unprecedented to see Acelas running slowly on the part of the NEC...I'd never seen it before or since in fact. So I really wondered if they would have the Acela pick us up. Just as the engine passed the center of the platform though, it quickly accelerated again! About 30 minutes later we were picked up by long distance train, maybe the Cardinal? The other notable time that train couldn't make it, we were loaded onto a MTA bus, which was given a speeding ticket on 95 by an MDTA cop about a mile north of the tolls! Hilarious! Didn't get to DC until about noon.
Oh well, if it did happen, I'm glad some northern Penn line MARC pax got the glamorous experience of riding the "Aceler" as they call it.
(no, if you can't tell by now, I'm not from Harco/CecilCo)
dt_rt40
 
Posts: 209
Joined: Sat Jan 13, 2007 11:45 am
Location: MD

Re: MARC GP40 & GP39 status

Postby strench707 » Wed Dec 04, 2013 10:08 pm

I'm guessing that disabled MARC train was just going to deadhead back to Baltimore considering the time of night you were out there. No pax involved....

Davis
User avatar
strench707
 
Posts: 950
Joined: Sun Oct 25, 2009 6:28 am

Re: MARC GP40 & GP39 status

Postby realtype » Sun Feb 09, 2014 1:04 am

dt_rt40 wrote:realtype I'm confused by your account...do you mean you were on the Acela that dropped off the mechanic (presumably he got on at Wilm.) at Perryville...or that an Acela literally was driven up the corridor to deal with MARC passengers? That would have been hilarious! I think you can't mean that, because, how would they get people on & off?
About 4 years ago though, I remember the old late, late MARC couldn't reach Perryville because of a mechanical problem. It was snowy and I'd missed the 8:37 Amtrak/MARC-monthly from Aberdeen. There was an announcement that an Amtrak train would be stopping to pick us up. A few minutes later an Acela was slowing down approaching the station. I thought, you gotta be kidding me? It's almost unprecedented to see Acelas running slowly on the part of the NEC...I'd never seen it before or since in fact. So I really wondered if they would have the Acela pick us up. Just as the engine passed the center of the platform though, it quickly accelerated again! About 30 minutes later we were picked up by long distance train, maybe the Cardinal? The other notable time that train couldn't make it, we were loaded onto a MTA bus, which was given a speeding ticket on 95 by an MDTA cop about a mile north of the tolls! Hilarious! Didn't get to DC until about noon.
Oh well, if it did happen, I'm glad some northern Penn line MARC pax got the glamorous experience of riding the "Aceler" as they call it.
(no, if you can't tell by now, I'm not from Harco/CecilCo)


(Sorry for the very late response)

From what I heard from our conductor and saw when we passed the site it looked like there was a broken down Regional (NB) and an Acela Express trainset was sent to rescue the passengers along with the MARC GP40 to rescue the broken down Regional. So they were actually Amtrak passengers. However, there have been rare occasions when Acela sets have carried MARC passengers including this one caught on video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AVadTNeqjjg :-D
User avatar
realtype
 
Posts: 1498
Joined: Tue Oct 17, 2006 9:01 pm
Location: Germantown, MD

Re: MARC GP40 & GP39 status

Postby CentralValleyRail » Tue Feb 11, 2014 9:29 pm

realtype wrote:
dt_rt40 wrote:realtype I'm confused by your account...do you mean you were on the Acela that dropped off the mechanic (presumably he got on at Wilm.) at Perryville...or that an Acela literally was driven up the corridor to deal with MARC passengers? That would have been hilarious! I think you can't mean that, because, how would they get people on & off?
About 4 years ago though, I remember the old late, late MARC couldn't reach Perryville because of a mechanical problem. It was snowy and I'd missed the 8:37 Amtrak/MARC-monthly from Aberdeen. There was an announcement that an Amtrak train would be stopping to pick us up. A few minutes later an Acela was slowing down approaching the station. I thought, you gotta be kidding me? It's almost unprecedented to see Acelas running slowly on the part of the NEC...I'd never seen it before or since in fact. So I really wondered if they would have the Acela pick us up. Just as the engine passed the center of the platform though, it quickly accelerated again! About 30 minutes later we were picked up by long distance train, maybe the Cardinal? The other notable time that train couldn't make it, we were loaded onto a MTA bus, which was given a speeding ticket on 95 by an MDTA cop about a mile north of the tolls! Hilarious! Didn't get to DC until about noon.
Oh well, if it did happen, I'm glad some northern Penn line MARC pax got the glamorous experience of riding the "Aceler" as they call it.
(no, if you can't tell by now, I'm not from Harco/CecilCo)


(Sorry for the very late response)

From what I heard from our conductor and saw when we passed the site it looked like there was a broken down Regional (NB) and an Acela Express trainset was sent to rescue the passengers along with the MARC GP40 to rescue the broken down Regional. So they were actually Amtrak passengers. However, there have been rare occasions when Acela sets have carried MARC passengers including this one caught on video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AVadTNeqjjg :-D






One night late last March I was on 2128 the 8:00pm New York bound out of DC. The 7:35 Penn Line was cancelled and they were debating what to do with the passengers. My girlfriend and I were the only ones sitting in the first car until a storm of people come up track 17 or 18. They announce that the Marc passengers will be allowed on the train and that we will only be stopping at Baltimore. Train loads up we leave at 8:00pm arrive at Baltimore at 8:29pm sat there for a good 6-7 minutes unloading all the MARC folks. In fact I helped the conductor with the doors that night. Might've been a conductor short that night. Once everyone was off the front car I gave him a wave with a pocket flash light I had and away we went. 4 of us in the first car for the rest of the trip. Whole train had maybe 100 people on it for the rest of the way up to New York Penn. We made up some good time and arrived in New York 8 minutes early.
CentralValleyRail
 
Posts: 501
Joined: Mon Mar 30, 2009 4:51 pm
Location: Wayne, NJ NJTR-MP (20.8)

Re: MARC GP40 & GP39 status

Postby jt42cwr » Mon Jun 09, 2014 3:45 pm

Does MARC still have any GP40's on it's roster or have they all gone elsewhere now?
User avatar
jt42cwr
 
Posts: 132
Joined: Sun May 29, 2011 12:37 pm

Re: MARC GP40 & GP39 status

Postby amtrakhogger » Mon Jun 09, 2014 4:29 pm

jt42cwr wrote:Does MARC still have any GP40's on it's roster or have they all gone elsewhere now?


They have one, the 68, which is used as a protect/work train unit.
"I will stop at St. Avold."
User avatar
amtrakhogger
 
Posts: 1839
Joined: Sun Jun 25, 2006 12:16 am
Location: "F" on the Camden and Amboy

Re: MARC GP40 & GP39 status

Postby realtype » Fri Jun 13, 2014 8:57 am

In addition to some units spending a few years in Boston with MBTA, eight of the retired MARC GP40's were apparently rebuilt into MPI MP32PH-Q's for Sunrail in Orlando. These things just keep going!

Image

Some recent videos of MARC 68 in service
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0MN42ET9EKM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1IvCGiJDIO4
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KMokZOD9_uM
User avatar
realtype
 
Posts: 1498
Joined: Tue Oct 17, 2006 9:01 pm
Location: Germantown, MD

PreviousNext

Return to DC - Maryland - Virginia Area Passenger Rail: MTA(MARC), VRE, WMATA(Metro)

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests