Silver Line Dulles WMATA Metrorail progress/pictures

Discussion related to DC area passenger rail services from Northern Virginia to Baltimore, MD. Includes Light Rail and Baltimore Subway.

Moderators: Robert Paniagua, therock

Re: Silver Line Dulles WMATA Metrorail progress/pictures

Postby RobertMCS » Wed Oct 11, 2017 3:22 pm

I took some pics recently so I thought I would share.
I do find it interesting that the Loudoun Gateway plan map doesn't have a south pavilion, but it appears that there is a part of the project that is indeed under construction in the trees on the south side of the Dulles Greenway.
IMG_1201.PNG
Pedestrian Bridge Abutment at Ashburn Station

IMG_1200.PNG
Pedestrian Bridge Abutment at Innvovation Center Station
RobertMCS

Postby Sand Box John » Sat Oct 14, 2017 10:53 am

"RobertMCS"
I do find it interesting that the Loudoun Gateway plan map doesn't have a south pavilion, but it appears that there is a part of the project that is indeed under construction in the trees on the south side of the Dulles Greenway.

There is no south entrance pavilion because it would land within the Dulles Greenway entrance exit ramp complex, west of that is Horsepen and Broad Runs.

The construction on the south side outside the Greenway easement is for traction power tiebreaker station #11 adjacent to the N11 interlocking west of the Loudoun Gateway station.
John in the sand box of Maryland's eastern shore.
Sand Box John

Postby RobertMCS » Sat Oct 14, 2017 1:22 pm

Sand Box John wrote:The construction on the south side outside the Greenway easement is for traction power tiebreaker station #11 adjacent to the N11 interlocking west of the Loudoun Gateway station.

I know that, and they have not yet put the walls up for it. This is back further into the woods almost behind the tiebreaker station construction. There is a crane, excavators and what looks like foundation forms.
RobertMCS

Postby JackRussell » Sat Oct 14, 2017 3:59 pm

The tower crane at the airport has now been removed. It appears like the framework of the roof canopy is now complete.
JackRussell

Postby YOLO » Tue Nov 07, 2017 5:00 pm

I've read that the silver line design had it going through West Falls Church station but they cut it out of the design in the early phases. Does anyone know how they were planning on routing through that area?
YOLO

Postby JackRussell » Tue Nov 07, 2017 9:39 pm

YOLO wrote:I've read that the silver line design had it going through West Falls Church station but they cut it out of the design in the early phases. Does anyone know how they were planning on routing through that area?

I never thought that routing was ever seriously considered. You would need to tunnel beneath the railyard and some homes to get back into the median of the toll road.
JackRussell

Postby wrivlin » Wed Nov 08, 2017 2:43 pm

JackRussell wrote:
I never thought that routing was ever seriously considered. You would need to tunnel beneath the railyard and some homes to get back into the median of the toll road.

From what I recall, it's actually possible to go through West Falls Church via tracks in the Falls Church Yard.
wrivlin

Postby Sand Box John » Thu Nov 09, 2017 8:00 am

"YOLO"
I've read that the silver line design had it going through West Falls Church station but they cut it out of the design in the early phases. Does anyone know how they were planning on routing through that area?

If memory serves, I recall 3 option that were under consideration:

• Dulles branch would junction with Orange line west of West Falls Church and follow VA-7 to Tysons Corner.
  • Dulles branch would junction with Orange line east of Capitol Beltway and follow VA I-495 to Tysons Corner.
  • Third leg of Y would would connect to Orange line west of West Falls Church and fly over yard and connect to existing branch. An elevated passageway would connect the existing mezzanine to the station platforms on the Y.
All options were eliminated to reduce costs.
John in the sand box of Maryland's eastern shore.
Sand Box John

Postby RailRide » Sat Nov 11, 2017 3:52 am

I had been meaning to take my own photos of the SL's progress since last year when a convention I attend moved into the area from NJ. This past August I was attending the second iteration of this convention and got to see the additional progress. This is what Innovation Station looked like as I rode past on the evening of 8/27:
Innovation Sta panorama.jpg
Panorama shot, cropped from a 5312x2988 image (Galaxy Note 4)

And some closer shots as we drove by. Framed as best as I could since I didn't ask the driver to slow down or anything. Also reduced in size like the above, but not cropped:
Innovation Sta 08272017-2.jpg

Innovation Sta 08272017-3.jpg

(one more to come--three attachments is the max)
---PCJ
RailRide

Postby RailRide » Sat Nov 11, 2017 3:59 am

...Finishing off this short presentation is the station building and pedestrian walkway. Hopefully this convention stays put long enough for me to actually use this station to get there--then I can have a near-100% by-rail journey from the upper reaches of The Bronx down to the hotel, with maybe a 5-minute walk on both ends (if that much):
Innovation Sta 08272017-4.jpg

---PCJ
RailRide

Postby daybeers » Sat Nov 11, 2017 12:51 pm

RailRide wrote:...Hopefully this convention stays put long enough for me to actually use this station to get there--then I can have a near-100% by-rail journey from the upper reaches of The Bronx down to the hotel, with maybe a 5-minute walk on both ends (if that much):

The Bronx? Isn't that about 130 miles north? :P
daybeers

Previous

Return to DC - Maryland - Virginia Area Passenger Rail: MTA(MARC), VRE, WMATA(Metro)