MARC Delays Caused by Amtrak

Discussion related to DC area passenger rail services from Northern Virginia to Baltimore, MD. Includes Light Rail and Baltimore Subway.

Moderators: Robert Paniagua, therock

Re: MARC Delays Caused by Amtrak

Postby farecard » Wed Jun 21, 2017 4:50 pm

As a layman reading the thread, I wonder about the consequences of the de-electification of MARC. I'd think an electric locomotive would require far less maintenance hours|dollars/year than Diesels, and could offer better acceleration.

But I gather there's a war underway over the price/KWH, and as a result, the riders lose. It's not trivial usage; I seem to recall a Acela consist draws upwards of 12MW.
farecard

Re: MARC Delays Caused by Amtrak

Postby STrRedWolf » Wed Jun 21, 2017 5:42 pm

Better acceleration, yes... but on average they don't go so fast in comparison with Amtrak because they make more stops. Plus, the AEM-7's were more reliable than the HHP-8's when both were running, from what I could tell in the logs.

The only downside was that MARC couldn't run them on all the lines. So going more diesel actually works out in the long term.
I ride the (MTA Maryland) Penn Line (between Odenton and Baltimore). I used to work for MTA Maryland's IT department, and out of professional courtesy my responses may be limited. Wikimapia is wonderful (for track/interlocking locations)!
STrRedWolf

Previous

Return to DC - Maryland - Virginia Area Passenger Rail: MTA(MARC), VRE, WMATA(Metro)