MARC HHP-8 Status

Discussion related to DC area passenger rail services from Northern Virginia to Baltimore, MD. Includes Light Rail and Baltimore Subway.

Moderators: Robert Paniagua, therock

MARC HHP-8 Status

Postby avgeeky » Mon Nov 07, 2016 1:28 pm

Anyone know what the deal is with the electrics? I had 4915 on train 517 this morning, I've seen 4912 in and out of the electric shops at DC in the past week or so, as well as on the set led by cab car 7847 (4915 seems to always to be mated by 7855 on the other end). But I've been through DC at all hours of the day in the past month, and have no sighting of any of the other 4. Per the last post in viewtopic.php?f=64&t=158693, all of the electrics were supposed to be back on the Penn line. Has there been any update?
Just a guy who rides the train way too often and is kinda good with numbers.
MARC rider 6 days a week BWI-WAS
Unfortunate rider of the WMATA's "railroad"
avgeeky

Re: MARC HHP-8 Status

Postby STrRedWolf » Mon Nov 07, 2016 7:02 pm

The HHP-8's (hippos) are known to have horrible reliability. Being in the shop half the time is nothing new.

If the HHP-8's continue on this route, MARC will replace them with more Chargers. They already mothballed their AEM-7's.
I ride the (MTA Maryland) Penn Line (between Odenton and Baltimore). I used to work for MTA Maryland's IT department, and out of professional courtesy my responses may be limited. Wikimapia is wonderful (for track/interlocking locations)!
STrRedWolf

Postby realtype » Tue Nov 08, 2016 11:23 am

STrRedWolf wrote:The HHP-8's (hippos) are known to have horrible reliability. Being in the shop half the time is nothing new.

If the HHP-8's continue on this route, MARC will replace them with more Chargers. They already mothballed their AEM-7's.

I'm pretty sure the Chargers are slated to replace all of the electrics anyway.
realtype

Postby avgeeky » Wed Nov 09, 2016 10:11 am

STrRedWolf wrote:The HHP-8's (hippos) are known to have horrible reliability. Being in the shop half the time is nothing new.

I did hear about that, which was the reason Amtrak retired them so quickly as well. But there are 4 more hippos somewhere that haven't been on the road in at least 2 months or so. I'm wondering what happened to them, because they seemed to have disappeared (hopefully not for good). I've seen a resurgence of the GP39s coming back to cover for MP36s that are covering for these other 4, so I was curious as to what's keeping all 6 of them from running the road, especially as their nominal replacements don't arrive until late next year.

As to the maintenance, it seems both of the ones in service go right to Ivy City immediately after they arrive in the morning and stay there until the evening rush every day.
Just a guy who rides the train way too often and is kinda good with numbers.
MARC rider 6 days a week BWI-WAS
Unfortunate rider of the WMATA's "railroad"
avgeeky

Return to DC - Maryland - Virginia Area Passenger Rail: MTA(MARC), VRE, WMATA(Metro)