Happenings on the MARC line

Discussion related to DC area passenger rail services from Northern Virginia to Baltimore, MD. Includes Light Rail and Baltimore Subway.

Moderators: Robert Paniagua, therock

Re: Happenings on the MARC line

Postby avgeeky » Sun May 14, 2017 10:33 pm

STrRedWolf wrote:
Backshophoss wrote:Who's rebuilding the MARC Hippo's? BBD??

I would assume Bombardier or Alstrom (or both, because both built the Hippos the begin with). From an initial search, I think MARC is the only railroad running the Hippos.

From the way he said it, it sounded like this was an in-house job with little involvement from either of the two companies. FWIW, he also mentioned that MTA actually asked the bank about taking over the Amtrak-leased HHP-8s and running them instead or just using them for spares. The bank refused, even after MTA offered to pay more than what Amtrak was/is paying for them.
Just a guy who rides the train way too often and is kinda good with numbers.
MARC rider 6 days a week BWI-WAS
Unfortunate rider of the WMATA's "railroad"
avgeeky

Postby STrRedWolf » Mon May 15, 2017 7:50 pm

avgeeky wrote:From the way he said it, it sounded like this was an in-house job with little involvement from either of the two companies. FWIW, he also mentioned that MTA actually asked the bank about taking over the Amtrak-leased HHP-8s and running them instead or just using them for spares. The bank refused, even after MTA offered to pay more than what Amtrak was/is paying for them.

Doubtful. Bombardier is under contract for maintenance of the rail cars themselves, I think at the Riverside or Martins State yards.
I ride the (MTA Maryland) Penn Line (between Odenton and Baltimore). I used to work for MTA Maryland's IT department, and out of professional courtesy my responses may be limited. Wikimapia is wonderful (for track/interlocking locations)!
STrRedWolf

Postby STrRedWolf » Thu May 18, 2017 8:45 pm

MARC 435 broke down at Seabrook, and somehow ended up requiring single-tracking around the area that delayed all northbound trains for upwards of an hour, and eventually had a maximum delay of 90 minutes.
I ride the (MTA Maryland) Penn Line (between Odenton and Baltimore). I used to work for MTA Maryland's IT department, and out of professional courtesy my responses may be limited. Wikimapia is wonderful (for track/interlocking locations)!
STrRedWolf

Postby ThirdRail7 » Fri May 19, 2017 12:48 am

STrRedWolf wrote:MARC 435 broke down at Seabrook, and somehow ended up requiring single-tracking around the area that delayed all northbound trains for upwards of an hour, and eventually had a maximum delay of 90 minutes.

The single tracking shouldn't be a surprise since three track has been out of service for quite some time. With 9435 disabled on two track, that only leaves one track available for service in both directions. A lot of the delays had were due to late turns of crews and equipment.
I want my road foreman!
ThirdRail7

Postby STrRedWolf » Fri May 19, 2017 5:24 am

ThirdRail7 wrote:
STrRedWolf wrote:MARC 435 broke down at Seabrook, and somehow ended up requiring single-tracking around the area that delayed all northbound trains for upwards of an hour, and eventually had a maximum delay of 90 minutes.

The single tracking shouldn't be a surprise since three track has been out of service for quite some time. With 9435 disabled on two track, that only leaves one track available for service in both directions. A lot of the delays had were due to late turns of crews and equipment.

Any word on how long the track work around Seabrook is going to be? I didn't see that in the notices MARC pushes out...
STrRedWolf

Postby ThirdRail7 » Fri May 19, 2017 12:27 pm

STrRedWolf wrote:
ThirdRail7 wrote:

Any word on how long the track work around Seabrook is going to be? I didn't see that in the notices MARC pushes out...

It shouldn't be too much longer. The undercutter is finished and the surfacing gang is actually working between Seabrook and Carroll. They did 1 track prior to 3 track. What I don't know is if they plan to do anything with 2 track. I'm hearing rumblings they may blitz the area between NWK-NYP this summer, so who actually knows what will happen next?
I want my road foreman!
ThirdRail7

Postby ThirdRail7 » Thu Jun 15, 2017 4:36 pm

The work between Bowie and Carroll is wrapping up. Next on the list is 3 track between Bridge and Grove. This will impact few trains and leave two tracks between Grove and Winans and three of racks between Winans and Bridge. Hopefully, the outage does not include the limits of Bridge. That would cause single tracking between Bridge and Fulton.
I want my road foreman!
ThirdRail7

Postby STrRedWolf » Thu Jun 15, 2017 6:46 pm

ThirdRail7 wrote:The work between Bowie and Carroll is wrapping up. Next on the list is 3 track between Bridge and Grove. This will impact few trains and leave two tracks between Grove and Winans and three of racks between Winans and Bridge. Hopefully, the outage does not include the limits of Bridge. That would cause single tracking between Bridge and Fulton.

They were doing work on track 3 between Winans and Bridge in February this year! What did they miss this time?
STrRedWolf

Postby RRspatch » Thu Jun 15, 2017 8:05 pm

ThirdRail7 wrote:The work between Bowie and Carroll is wrapping up. Next on the list is 3 track between Bridge and Grove. This will impact few trains and leave two tracks between Grove and Winans and three of racks between Winans and Bridge. Hopefully, the outage does not include the limits of Bridge. That would cause single tracking between Bridge and Fulton.

Good thing they installed the No.23 switch at Bridge. This will allows a parallel move from 3 to 2 southbound and 1/A to 2 northbound. The No.32 switch at Carroll also helps. Wish I had those options back in my CETC 1 daze ...

BTW - how will the ACELA's platform at BWI as they don't have traps? I assume they'll use platform bridges across No.3 track ...
Then it comes to be that the soothing light at the end of your tunnel
Is just a freight train coming your way

No leaf clover ~ Metallica.
RRspatch

Postby STrRedWolf » Fri Jun 16, 2017 7:44 pm

RRspatch wrote:

Good thing they installed the No.23 switch at Bridge. This will allows a parallel move from 3 to 2 southbound and 1/A to 2 northbound. The No.32 switch at Carroll also helps. Wish I had those options back in my CETC 1 daze ...

BTW - how will the ACELA's platform at BWI as they don't have traps? I assume they'll use platform bridges across No.3 track ...

There's some clues with the latest release from MTA:

All trains may experience delays of 5 to 10 minutes while operating through the trackwork area.

In order to ensure on time operation and speed loading and unloading of passengers, morning southbound trains to Washington will board on the northbound track at West Baltimore, Halethorpe and BWI Marshall Airport Rail Station. This will be in effect for Trains 401 through and including Train 421. Starting with Train 523, trains will return to their normal operating pattern.

So yes, there will be platform bridges. I have noticed them at BWI and Halethorpe ready to be put in. West Baltimore is a low-level and doesn't need them.

What's fun is that they'll do a morning platform swap. I would of thought the northbound trains would stop on the opposite track as well during the mornings. I doubt they can go GROVE to WINANS fast enough on track 1 just to get through, and since it's lower weight, I would think Amtrak would simplify the operation.
STrRedWolf

Postby STrRedWolf » Wed Oct 18, 2017 6:47 am

Train 400 was cancelled due to hitting a deer. This cancelled 415 and caused minor delays.
STrRedWolf

Previous

Return to DC - Maryland - Virginia Area Passenger Rail: MTA(MARC), VRE, WMATA(Metro)