Metrorail Construction Photos?

Discussion related to DC area passenger rail services from Northern Virginia to Baltimore, MD. Includes Light Rail and Baltimore Subway.

Moderators: mtuandrew, Robert Paniagua, therock

Metrorail Construction Photos?

Postby strench707 » Sat Aug 02, 2014 7:53 am

Hey guys,

I'm interested in finding out if there's any existing Metro Construction photo archive? I'm shocked that for such a large system that there is little to no documentation of its construction available online. The only thing I have found so far is a set of 20 or so photos that Metro uploaded to their Facebook page a couple of years ago and then random photos sprinkled across pages online. Wouldn't you think there would be 1000s of photos out there online? Maybe I'm just looking in the wrong places...

I'm primarily interested in Metro construction along rail RoW's, like the BL/YL along CSX in VA, OR along Amtrak in MD, and the GR and RD along CSX in MD. Would be really cool to see photos of the now-CSX mains being relocated from QN Tower to Georgetown Jct.

Thanks in advance for any help!

Davis
strench707

Re: Metrorail Construction Photos?

Postby JDC » Sat Aug 02, 2014 11:34 am

The Wash Post has a photo archive, and they just uploaded it (again) in honor of the Silver Line. I linked to it a few weeks ago in the Silver Line thread.
Living in Alexandria, Fairfax County; Working at Half & L
JDC

Postby strench707 » Sat Aug 02, 2014 4:55 pm

Sorry, I dug back through and couldn't find the link. Any way you could re-post?

Thanks,

Davis
strench707

Postby Sand Box John » Sun Aug 03, 2014 10:28 am

"strench707"
Hey guys,

I'm interested in finding out if there's any existing Metro Construction photo archive? I'm shocked that for such a large system that there is little to no documentation of its construction available online. The only thing I have found so far is a set of 20 or so photos that Metro uploaded to their Facebook page a couple of years ago and then random photos sprinkled across pages online. Wouldn't you think there would be 1000s of photos out there online? Maybe I'm just looking in the wrong places...

I'm primarily interested in Metro construction along rail RoW's, like the BL/YL along CSX in VA, OR along Amtrak in MD, and the GR and RD along CSX in MD. Would be really cool to see photos of the now-CSX mains being relocated from QN Tower to Georgetown Jct.

The only stuff on the web that goes that far back is the stuff WMATA and the Washington post has posted. WMATA has a photo archive that goes back to the years when the agency was called the National Capital Transportation Agency. The archive contains tens of thousands pictures, I Have seen hundreds of the slides that have never been digitize and posted to the web. Unfortunately WMATA doesn't the budget to digitize the thousands of slides that might be of interest to the public.
John in the sand box of Maryland's eastern shore.
Sand Box John

Postby JDC » Sun Aug 03, 2014 12:33 pm

strench707 wrote:Sorry, I dug back through and couldn't find the link. Any way you could re-post?

Thanks,

Davis

Here it is: http://www.washingtonpost.com/local/come-ride-with-me-washington-dcs-metro-in-the-1970s-and-80s/2014/07/23/d4f7ebd0-129c-11e4-8936-26932bcfd6ed_gallery.html#item0. In another thread, maybe the Silver Line one?, I posted a link to another slideshow of construction photos different than this one. I cannot recall where it is at the moment.
JDC

Postby JDC » Sun Aug 03, 2014 12:39 pm

Here is a link to an earlier thread, the one I was thinking of. I didn't post the links, it was John. http://www.railroad.net/forums/viewtopic.php?f=75&t=83435&start=0&hilit=construction+photos
JDC

Return to DC - Maryland - Virginia Area Passenger Rail: MTA(MARC), VRE, WMATA(Metro)