New Tardis's [Tardisi?] at stations

Discussion related to DC area passenger rail services from Northern Virginia to Baltimore, MD. Includes Light Rail and Baltimore Subway.

Moderators: Robert Paniagua, therock, mtuandrew

New Tardis's [Tardisi?] at stations

Postby farecard » Sun Jul 21, 2013 7:00 pm

At several stations [Dupont N for one] WMATA is building LARGE new booths further inside the gates.
They are so big I'm envisioning the interior of the Doctor's favorite vehicle.....

So what's the backstory on these? Will they hold the SWAT team standing by to search our bags/follow us?
farecard

Re: New Tardis's [Tardisi?] at stations

Postby Sand Box John » Sun Jul 21, 2013 10:23 pm

"farecard"
At several stations [Dupont N for one] WMATA is building LARGE new booths further inside the gates.
They are so big I'm envisioning the interior of the Doctor's favorite vehicle.....

So what's the backstory on these? Will they hold the SWAT team standing by to search our bags/follow us?

The station manager kiosk in the Silver line stations will be roughly double the size of the older kiosks. Based on what I could find on WMATA's web site the new larger kiosks are replacing the original kiosks to accommodate more room for the station manager and additional equipment.

Orange/Blue Line Rehabilitation Contract-Segment 1 (4.40 MB PDF file)
John in the sand box of Maryland's eastern shore.
Sand Box John

Postby schmod » Mon Jul 29, 2013 2:10 pm

Just curious. Who refers to the Kiosk as a Tardis? That's spectacularly nerdy...
schmod

Postby farecard » Mon Aug 19, 2013 8:39 pm

I'm told the new booths are temporary, while the permanent ones are renovated. That makes sense.
farecard

Postby JDC » Tue Sep 02, 2014 8:27 am

Whether temporary or permanent, a new manager's booth is being installed at McPherson Sq. I'd say it has almost double the square footage of the existing booth. I should add this is occurring at the 14th St. entrance, but it might also be happening at the VA entrance, which I do not use.
Living in Alexandria, Fairfax County; Working at Half & L
JDC

Return to DC - Maryland - Virginia Area Passenger Rail: MTA(MARC), VRE, WMATA(Metro)