Massapequa and Wantagh Station Renovations

Discussion of the past and present operations of the Long Island Rail Road.

Moderator: Liquidcamphor

Re: Wantagh, July 2015

Postby LB » Tue Oct 06, 2015 6:27 am

Beltsbarn, are you trying to identify the buildings at street level in the 1967 photo? Are you interested in a view north or south of the tracks? The Wantagh hotel was destroyed by fire in 1970, currently McDonalds sits in the footprint of the hotel. Was the Wantagh Inn a hotel or restaurant? I used to work in Wantagh 79-80, but I don't remember the Wantagh Inn.
LB

Postby bellstbarn » Tue Oct 06, 2015 9:37 am

The above photo is taken from Trains Are Fun. Looking east, it shows Wantagh about 1965 or 1955. The station at the left has been preserved at the Wantagh Preservation Society Museum, 1700 Wantagh Avenue. The three buildings on the right are still standing. My interest was in the closer frame structure at the right, at the southwest corner of Railroad Avenue and Grove St. It is now a restaurant called the Wantagh Inn. For many years previously, it was a butcher shop, with the family residence above. I believe the butcher's name was Mr. Adel. The present owner of the Wantagh Inn was at the forum mentioned above and raised the issue of probably loss of business during the use of a crane on Railroad Avenue to remove and replace the platform, which was put in service in 1968. The storefronts at the right edge of the photo number eight or nine, all occupied, no "For Rent" signs.
---
The site of the Wantagh Hotel (where McDonald's stands on the north side) is not in this photo.
---
The temporary platforms went east from Beech Street and are barely seen in the distance. It appears there was a pedestrian overpass connecting the platforms.
bellstbarn

Postby LB » Tue Oct 06, 2015 10:51 am

OK, I'll see if I can find some photos to help you out.
LB

Postby LB » Tue Oct 06, 2015 5:20 pm

Here's some photos from Wantagh 1932-1967 that give a perspective of the general area. They are mostly samples I archived for historical reference from e-bay, Trains are Fun website, newspapers and other media.

http://i1054.photobucket.com/albums/s48 ... sjgdif.jpg
Wantagh Ave 1932 (Queens Library Photo)

http://i1054.photobucket.com/albums/s48 ... cflrpd.jpg
Wantagh Ave Circa 1940

http://i1054.photobucket.com/albums/s48 ... w24aew.jpg
Wantagh 1953 (Queens Library Photo)

http://i1054.photobucket.com/albums/s48 ... Keller.jpg
Wantagh 12 NOV 63 (Dave Keller/Lichtenstern Photo)

Wantagh OCT 64 (E-Bay Photo)

http://i1054.photobucket.com/albums/s48 ... PQ60_3.jpg

http://i1054.photobucket.com/albums/s48 ... euflex.jpg

http://i1054.photobucket.com/albums/s48 ... hqjem2.jpg
Wantagh Beech ST 1965 (E-Bay Photo)

http://i1054.photobucket.com/albums/s48 ... w60_57.jpg
Wantagh 8 AUG 65 (E-Bay Photo)

http://i1054.photobucket.com/albums/s48 ... Q60_57.jpg
Wantagh Beech ST 8 AUG 65 (E-Bay Photo)

http://www.trainsarefun.com/lirr/crossi ... illips.jpg
Wantagh JAN 1966 Brad Philips Photo (Trains Are Fun)

http://i1054.photobucket.com/albums/s48 ... 94dfb3.jpg
Beech ST Wantagh 1966 (E-Bay Photo)

http://i1054.photobucket.com/albums/s48 ... p60_57.jpg
Wantagh 7 MAR 66

http://i1054.photobucket.com/albums/s48 ... 95ufae.jpg
Wantagh 7 MAR 66

http://i1054.photobucket.com/albums/s48 ... v60_57.jpg
Wantagh 7 MAR 66

http://i1054.photobucket.com/albums/s48 ... tigipc.jpg
Wantagh 1967 (E-Bay Photo)
LB

Postby MACTRAXX » Tue Oct 06, 2015 7:02 pm

bellstbarn wrote:Image

The above photo is taken from Trains Are Fun. Looking east, it shows Wantagh about 1965 or 1955. The station at the left has been preserved at the Wantagh Preservation Society Museum, 1700 Wantagh Avenue. The three buildings on the right are still standing. My interest was in the closer frame structure at the right, at the southwest corner of Railroad Avenue and Grove St. It is now a restaurant called the Wantagh Inn. For many years previously, it was a butcher shop, with the family residence above. I believe the butcher's name was Mr. Adel. The present owner of the Wantagh Inn was at the forum mentioned above and raised the issue of probably loss of business during the use of a crane on Railroad Avenue to remove and replace the platform, which was put in service in 1968. The storefronts at the right edge of the photo number eight or nine, all occupied, no "For Rent" signs.
---
The site of the Wantagh Hotel (where McDonald's stands on the north side) is not in this photo.
---
The temporary platforms went east from Beech Street and are barely seen in the distance. It appears there was a pedestrian overpass connecting the platforms.

BSB:

The grade crossing elimination temporary tracks are in place in this picture - 1966-67 is likely the time of this photo.

LB's last picture showing the temporary tracks under construction dated 1967 helps date your photo.

Wantagh and Seaford were built together in the mid to late 1960s opening on 10/22/1968.

MACTRAXX
Last edited by MACTRAXX on Wed Oct 07, 2015 1:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
EXPRESS TRAIN TO NEW YORK PENN STATION-NO JAMAICA ON THIS TRAIN-PLEASE STAND CLEAR OF THE CLOSING TRAIN DOORS
MACTRAXX

Postby bellstbarn » Tue Oct 06, 2015 7:12 pm

Many thanks to LB and MACTRAXX for interesting (very interesting!) photos and comments!
Joe
bellstbarn

Postby MattAmity90 » Wed Oct 07, 2015 12:24 am

MACTRAXX wrote:

---
---

BSB:

The grade crossing elimination temporary tracks are in place in this picture - 1967 or maybe 1968 - is more then likely the year(s) noting the
50s and 60s vehicles parked in the background.

LB's last picture showing the temporary tracks under construction dated 1967 helps date your photo.

Wantagh and Seaford were built together in the late 1960s opening for service in 1970.

MACTRAXX

Seaford and Wantagh were part of a segment that was elevated separately. Their temporary stations went into service on August 24th, 1966 and their current elevated structures (even though Seaford has been rehabilitated already) went into service on October 22nd, 1968. They are lucky they got that in because the first revenue M1 would take place on the Babylon Branch just a little over 2 months after, and they didn't have high-level platforms. While they were elevating those, they were setting up the temporary tracks and stations from East of the Sunrise Highway overpass 3350' West of Amityville to 7200' East of Lindenhurst near East Great Neck Road for the elevation of Amityville, Copiague, and Lindenhurst (which had high-level platforms for their temporary counterparts) in Suffolk County. Just three days after Seaford and Wantagh went into elevated service, the temporary tracks in Suffolk County went into service on October 25th, 1968 and that would last until August 7th, 1973 etc.
This station is Babylon, this is the train to Penn Station. Stopping at: Lindenhurst, Copiague, Amityville, Massapequa Park, Massapequa, Seaford, Wantagh, Bellmore, Merrick, Freeport, Baldwin, Rockville Centre, Lynbrook, Valley Stream, Jamaica, Kew Gardens, Forest Hills, Woodside, Penn Station.
MattAmity90

Postby MACTRAXX » Wed Oct 07, 2015 2:11 pm

MattAmity90 wrote:
MACTRAXX wrote:

---
---

BSB:

The grade crossing elimination temporary tracks are in place in this picture - 1967 or maybe 1968 - is more then likely the year(s) noting the

Wantagh and Seaford were built together in the late 1960s opening for service in 1970.

MACTRAXX

Seaford and Wantagh were part of a segment that was elevated separately. Their temporary stations went into service on August 24th, 1966 and their current elevated structures (even though Seaford has been rehabilitated already) went into service on October 22nd, 1968. They are lucky they got that in because the first revenue M1 would take place on the Babylon Branch just a little over 2 months after, and they didn't have high-level platforms. While they were elevating those, they were setting up the temporary tracks and stations from East of the Sunrise Highway overpass 3350' West of Amityville to 7200' East of Lindenhurst near East Great Neck Road for the elevation of Amityville, Copiague, and Lindenhurst (which had high-level platforms for their temporary counterparts) in Suffolk County. Just three days after Seaford and Wantagh went into elevated service, the temporary tracks in Suffolk County went into service on October 25th, 1968 and that would last until August 7th, 1973 etc.

MA90 -

I checked Dave Keller's postings and recalled that he had the opening dates of all of the Babylon Branch
grade crossing elimination projects and they were listed as follows:

Valley Stream - 2/5/1933
Lynbrook - 10/18/1938
Rockville Centre - 7/18/1950
Baldwin - 10/2/1957
Freeport - 10/10/1961
Merrick and Bellmore - 6/28/1975
Wantagh and Seaford - 10/22/1968
Massapequa - 1/18/1953
Massapequa Park - 12/13/1980
Amityville, Copaigue and Lindenhurst - 8/7/1973
Babylon - 9/9/1964

The Wantagh-Seaford project included the bridge across the Seaford-Oyster Bay Expressway (NYS 135) which
was originally known as the Wantagh-Oyster Bay Expressway and was designated to connect with a proposed
Oyster Bay-Rye bridge across the LI Sound that was never built...

Another observation is during the Merrick-Bellmore project in the middle 70s that the older bridge across the
Wantagh State Parkway was rebuilt and reused - there was a temporary paralleling bridge built over the WSP
during the time period that the older bridge was out of service.

The Wantagh State Parkway crosses under the LIRR west of Wantagh Station and this temporary bridge was
located at the eastern end of the Merrick-Bellmore construction zone area.

MACTRAXX
Last edited by MACTRAXX on Wed Oct 07, 2015 3:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
EXPRESS TRAIN TO NEW YORK PENN STATION-NO JAMAICA ON THIS TRAIN-PLEASE STAND CLEAR OF THE CLOSING TRAIN DOORS
MACTRAXX

Postby LB » Wed Oct 07, 2015 2:42 pm

So now that we have a bunch of "before" Wantagh photos, perhaps Beltstbarn can shoot these at the same angle/location and see how they look 50 years apart!
LB

Postby nyandw » Wed Oct 07, 2015 11:38 pm

LB wrote:So now that we have a bunch of "before" Wantagh photos, perhaps Beltstbarn can shoot these at the same angle/location and see how they look 50 years apart!
Yes! :-)
nyandw

Postby mkm4 » Thu Oct 08, 2015 9:14 am

LB wrote:http://i1054.photobucket.com/albums/s482/LBuddy11/Scan0054_zpsuocflrpd.jpg
Wantagh Ave Circa 1940

This one just looks so lonely.
I've never really thought of Wantagh as a sleepy little town.

LB wrote:So now that we have a bunch of "before" Wantagh photos, perhaps Beltstbarn can shoot these at the same angle/location and see how they look 50 years apart!

You can use Google Street View for a lot of that.
https://www.google.com/maps/place/Wanta ... 87!6m1!1e1
mkm4

Postby MattAmity90 » Thu Oct 08, 2015 2:48 pm

MACTRAXX wrote:
MattAmity90 wrote:
MACTRAXX wrote:

---
---

BSB:

MACTRAXX

MA90 -

I checked Dave Keller's postings and recalled that he had the opening dates of all of the Babylon Branch

Valley Stream - 2/5/1933
Lynbrook - 10/18/1938
Baldwin - 10/2/1957
Freeport - 10/10/1961
Massapequa - 1/18/1953
Babylon - 9/9/1964

The Wantagh-Seaford project included the bridge across the Seaford-Oyster Bay Expressway (NYS 135) which
was originally known as the Wantagh-Oyster Bay Expressway and was designated to connect with a proposed

Another observation is during the Merrick-Bellmore project in the middle 70s that the older bridge across the
Wantagh State Parkway was rebuilt and reused - there was a temporary paralleling bridge built over the WSP

The Wantagh State Parkway crosses under the LIRR west of Wantagh Station and this temporary bridge was

MACTRAXX

I already knew those were the opening dates. However in 1970 electrification was officially put into service from Mineola to Hicksville and Huntington (10/18/1970). Interesting fact is that Hicksville was opened for elevated service on 9/12/1964 just three days after Babylon.
This station is Babylon, this is the train to Penn Station. Stopping at: Lindenhurst, Copiague, Amityville, Massapequa Park, Massapequa, Seaford, Wantagh, Bellmore, Merrick, Freeport, Baldwin, Rockville Centre, Lynbrook, Valley Stream, Jamaica, Kew Gardens, Forest Hills, Woodside, Penn Station.
MattAmity90

Postby MACTRAXX » Thu Oct 08, 2015 6:19 pm

MattAmity90 wrote:
MACTRAXX wrote:
MattAmity90 wrote:
MACTRAXX wrote:

---
---

BSB:

MACTRAXX

MA90 -

Valley Stream - 2/5/1933
Lynbrook - 10/18/1938
Baldwin - 10/2/1957
Freeport - 10/10/1961
Massapequa - 1/18/1953
Babylon - 9/9/1964

MACTRAXX

I already knew those were the opening dates. However in 1970 electrification was officially put into service from Mineola to Hicksville and Huntington (10/18/1970). Interesting fact is that Hicksville was opened for elevated service on 9/12/1964 just three days after Babylon.

MA90:

I decided to include Dave Keller's information to further clarify for all here what these Babylon Branch dates were...

What was interesting about the Mineola-Huntington Electrification was how few trains were scheduled at first to run to
Huntington - I believe it was just two peak hour runs in each direction on weekdays and some midday Mineola-
East Williston runs were extended to Hicksville. Electric service on this route was gradually increased and there were
major schedule changes in early 1972 that introduced Hicksville-Ronkonkoma and Huntington-Port Jefferson shuttle or
"scoot" service using the then newly converted MP72 and MP75 former MU cars with their "power pack" cab units.

Yes-Hicksville and Babylon were designed and constructed in the early 1960s - Hicksville was designed originally for
diesel trains and Babylon - until 1/18/1988 Hicksville-Ronkonkoma Electrification was one of only six Suffolk County stations
in electrified territory (Amityville, Copaigue, Lindenhurst, Babylon, Cold Spring Harbor and Huntington) until that point.

Both Hicksville and Babylon were of similar design and I will add that the support columns of the Hicksville structure are
round and those of Babylon are circular with squared sides (an octagon shape perhaps?-next time I am there I am going to
count the "sides" on a column). Both were built with NYS funding - before the LIRR was owned by NYS - and the plaques
containing the builders numbers and date are adjacent to each station's ticket office facing the street...

MACTRAXX
MACTRAXX

Postby bellstbarn » Thu Oct 08, 2015 6:52 pm

On October 6, 2015, LB posted links to several photos in chronological order. The first one was from 1932, looking east from Wantagh Ave.
http://i1054.photobucket.com/albums/s482/LBuddy11/Scan0053_zps0nsjgdif.jpg
Source: Queens Library.
---
Today I tried to match the photo to compare THEN AND NOW, 83 years apart.
The 1932 photo is taken at ground level, showing a crossing warning mounted on a fierce concrete base with checkerboard black and white pattern. The same flashing light and sawbucks is shown in LB's 1940 photo. This was later replaced by gates, probably at first staffed, later automatic. At the left, the station can be seen. It is preserved today, shown below. At the far right, the first building has been destroyed. The second building is the butcher shop with residence above it, now much renovated as the Wantagh Inn. In the distance one can see the freight house. There is also a large building, which I believe still exists as part of an automobile dealership, its pitched roof having been replaced by a roof with less slope.

ImageWantagh by sphoto33, on Flickr

What's the same in 1932 and 2015? The track gauge. The route and destination of the trains. Multiple-unit equipment. The former butcher shop, and the large building in the distance now with a shiny roof.

ImageLocal to Penn Station by sphoto33, on Flickr

In 1932, the high-tension lines had five crossbars. Now they have four. Looking at the buildings on the north side, I cannot see one dating from 1932. On the south side, the telegraph lines are gone, but local power distribution still runs curbside on Railroad Avenue.

And here's the station.

bellstbarn

Postby bellstbarn » Wed Oct 14, 2015 6:36 pm

This post concerns Wantagh Avenue and the double-tracked Montauk Division, as seen in 1932, 1940, and 2015.
Thanks to LB, we have the 1932 photo at this link:
http://s1054.photobucket.com/user/LBudd ... f.jpg.html

We see no gates, but rather a large concrete block (decorated in black-and-white checkerboard) with flashing lights above.

Thanks to LB, we have a 1940 photo at this link:
http://s1054.photobucket.com/user/LBudd ... d.jpg.html

We see two large concrete blocks in the center of Wantagh Avenue. The view is south towards Sunrise Highway, which has a traffic signal that appears to show three aspects in each of four directions. The concrete blocks in 1940 are painted black-and-white V stripes that might suggest to a motorist that they pass to the side rather than slamming directly into the block. Gates probably came with the removal of these obstacles. When I first saw these photos of concrete blocks in the middle of the avenue, I thought, "Great! It got the driver's attention!" However, there may have been serious injuries when drivers crashed into them. I note that the center-of-road flashing lights recently installed on Stewart Avenue, Bethpage, have no concrete base or protection, only a Keep Right sign.

In 2015, trains and automobiles do not collide at Wantagh Avenue. The inconvenience of a few years of construction in the late 1960's has provided 55+ years of safety and free-flow traffic. The people and politicians of New Hyde Park ought to recognize the benefits of raising the tracks, but apparently only a horrendous collision and loss of life will convince them.
---
The concrete blocks of 1940 are missing from my photos taken yesterday. All the buildings have been replaced. The traffic signals at Sunrise Highway probably total 38 lenses (instead of the 12 in 1940), plus four still cameras, four video cams, four flash units, and eight pedestrian signals!

The above view shows why the LIRR is a marvel. A 12-car local to Babylon drops its Wantagh passengers (workers with early-in, early-home hours) a few minutes after 4 p.m. No, I don't see them heading for the nine or ten bars near the station. That's for weekends.
Last edited by bellstbarn on Thu Oct 15, 2015 12:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
bellstbarn

PreviousNext

Return to Long Island Rail Road (LIRR)