Massapequa and Wantagh Station Renovations

Discussion of the past and present operations of the Long Island Rail Road.

Moderator: Liquidcamphor

Re: Continuation of Massapequa and Wantagh Projects.

Postby Handtamp » Wed Nov 25, 2015 10:10 pm

Looked like some surfacing equipment on the pocket track.

Tamper regulator and stabilizer.
"Back up the truck, its time to work"
Handtamp

Postby Frank » Mon Nov 30, 2015 5:29 pm

https://im1.shutterfly.com/media/47a5cf ... 400/Here's some photos I took of Wantagh a few months ago. The photos show the condition of the station from the platform. The station looks like it is in dire need of a renovation. I took some videos too that day and I will eventually upload them.

Here's the pictures.

Enjoy! :-)
Rails are better than roads!
Frank

Postby bellstbarn » Fri Dec 04, 2015 7:39 pm

This morning, December 4, 2015, track workers were at the Massapequa pocket track, doing some sort of manual work that I could not view from highway level. However, I got a good reckoning of where the bumper is, a bit west of Lakeshore Drive. That puts the center track somewhat in the 1,200 to 1,350 foot length, and twelve m-u cars total 1,020 feet. So, it is long enough, but I wish they'd add at least one switch at the east end.
bellstbarn

Postby MattAmity90 » Mon Dec 07, 2015 5:57 am

pineywoodsman wrote:It all looks nice, and I'm sure folks will appreciate the addition of yet more trains to their already frequent Babylon Line service.
Meanwhile the Mineola platform looks disgraceful. Complained numerous times to the LIRR and these potholes still aren't fixed on the South platform. Considering how much busier Mineola is than Massapequa, you'd think the LIRR would be a in a rush to fix this accident waiting to happen.

I don't know if it is just me but it seems like politics plays a role in how well the Babylon Branch is treated. Powerful State Senate Republicans represent those districts so I can imagine how that plays up in Albany with the MTA. Meanwhile the middle of Nassau which isn't as strong politically seems to get neglected.
We dont have Canopies on the Main Line (except for Hicksville) and dont get the service levels places like Massapequa & Bellmore get. And so many trains skip places like Westbury (where I live). At least they're starting to work on the West End Staircase.
Now Wantagh will be next for rehab, its not in that bad of shape IMO, but again I guess due to politics they are more important. I actually tried to move down in that area & quickly found out you have to be rich to live there, so the good train service remains out of reach to those who need it most.
Main Line upgrades are most important, the LIRR's job as a public transportation system is to provide service where it is needed most. Hicksville is one LIRR's busiest stations and needs upgrades badly, this is a project that should have taken place first, before the Massapequa pocket track & platform rehab. The Hicksville track extension would provide much more flexibility in rush hours.
Huntington remains a problem, it needs a yard badly, there is vacant land east of Lake Rd about 1/2 mile east of the "siding", perhaps that could be used.
I just wish the LIRR would work as hard for their Main Line customers as those on the Babylon Branch.
As for what this pocket track will mean for the Babylon Branch, I guess even more trains. At the very least I'd expect those Merrick-Bellmore-Wantagh specials to turn there instead of Wantagh. I wonder if stops would be added at Seaford & Massapequa to those (which seem to carry light IMO).
As for the West of Hicksville thing, it could accomplish having more trains to/from Hicksville I guess, Reverse Peak I dunno what it can do for that. I wonder if the track means the 6:59am & 7:18am at Westbury will originate in Hicksville?
Rush hour service is complicated, but I still see no reason for not providing half hourly service to Westbury (along with New Hyde Park) off peak & weekends, other than BS of course. :P

Happy?
Attachments
22899255244_6feb9d44c2_z.jpg
This station is Babylon, this is the train to Penn Station. Stopping at: Lindenhurst, Copiague, Amityville, Massapequa Park, Massapequa, Seaford, Wantagh, Bellmore, Merrick, Freeport, Baldwin, Rockville Centre, Lynbrook, Valley Stream, Jamaica, Kew Gardens, Forest Hills, Woodside, Penn Station.
MattAmity90

Postby MNCRR9000 » Tue Dec 15, 2015 1:35 am

Came across this in the December 14, 2015 board materials regarding the new Massapequa pocket track.

The new pocket track and switches between the Massapequa and Massapequa Park Stations were installed this year. The design and procurement of the signal equipment will be completed with the first delivery of equipment, expected mid-2016. It is anticipated that the work will be completed before the end of 2017.

http://web.mta.info/mta/news/books/pdf/ ... 0_LIRR.pdf
Last edited by MNCRR9000 on Tue Dec 15, 2015 3:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
MNCRR9000

Postby MattAmity90 » Tue Dec 15, 2015 6:52 am

MNCRR9000 wrote:Came across this in the December 14, 2015 board materials regarding the new Massapequa pocket track.

The new pocket track and switches between the Massapequa and Massapequa Park Stations were installed this year. The design and procurement of
the signal equipment will be completed with the first delivery of equipment, expected mid-2016. It
is anticipated that the work will be completed before the end of 2017.

http://web.mta.info/mta/news/books/pdf/ ... 0_LIRR.pdf

Seriously?
This station is Babylon, this is the train to Penn Station. Stopping at: Lindenhurst, Copiague, Amityville, Massapequa Park, Massapequa, Seaford, Wantagh, Bellmore, Merrick, Freeport, Baldwin, Rockville Centre, Lynbrook, Valley Stream, Jamaica, Kew Gardens, Forest Hills, Woodside, Penn Station.
MattAmity90

Re: Wantagh, July 2015

Postby bellstbarn » Tue Dec 22, 2015 11:37 am

The Wantagh Preservation Society maintains a bulletin board in the street-level waiting room of the LIRR Wantagh Station. Posted is a notice that the year 2016 will mark the Fiftieth Anniversary of moving the old Wantagh station to its present location at 1700 Wantagh Avenue. Also, that building (the station as a museum) will be closed until April, 2016.
bellstbarn

Postby bellstbarn » Fri Mar 04, 2016 9:56 pm

The mta.info announcement of new LIRR timetables effective 3/7/2016 includes a reference to upcoming work on rehabilitating Wantagh station. Please see this link and scroll down through the text.
bellstbarn

Re: Massapequa and Wantagh Station Renovations

Postby Jeff Smith » Fri Apr 01, 2016 10:05 am

News: http://www.mta.info/news-lirr-wantagh-s ... iting-room

Full quote (public agency exception):

Project Includes New Covered Platform, Platform Waiting Room, Elevator & Escalator

March 31st, 2016

Wantagh Station

A new and improved Wantagh Station is getting underway. MTA Long Island Rail Road announced the primary contractor for the planned $23.9 million rehabilitation project. Fortunato Sons Contracting, Inc., will lead the venture expected to create 100 construction jobs.

The infrastructure investment at Wantagh, financed by the MTA Capital Program, will include a new concrete platform, segmented canopy, platform waiting room, escalator, elevator, lighting, communications system and signage as well as a distinctive public art project. It’s all part of the first significant upgrade of the facility since it was built nearly 50 years ago. The addition of an elevator will make the station ADA accessible for the first time.

Governor Andrew M. Cuomo recently announced an initiative to speed up station enhancement projects by changing MTA contracting procedures to enable one private sector company to build to its own designs. Although the design of the Wantagh station modernization was already completed prior to this new initiative, the LIRR is closely monitoring this “design-build” approach, which is being undertaken at other LIRR projects as well as 31 New York City Transit subway stations, in order to adopt best practices for its future capital projects.

The LIRR currently expects it will take two years to complete the project, which must be carried out in stages so as not to impact train service. But in keeping with the Governor’s initiative, the LIRR will also work with the contractor to identify ways to speed the timeline for the project. During construction, when one end of the station platform or the other is closed, customers will have to follow detour signs to the active portion of the station. In addition, a limited number of parking spaces will be temporarily affected along the station plaza. The LIRR will be alerting customers to these changes in advance by posting signs, making public address announcements and issuing customer service alerts via email or text message.

MTA Chairman and CEO Thomas Prendergast said: “This station rehabilitation project is part of the MTA’s ongoing commitment to Long Island and will benefit thousands of customers who depend each day on the LIRR. Governor Cuomo has made clear that New York State needs to support projects like this, which create construction jobs and help the local economy.”

LIRR President Patrick Nowakowski said: “Wantagh Station is going to look spectacular when this project is complete. Thanks to Governor Cuomo’s commitment to the MTA, the LIRR continues its modernization efforts across Long Island with the Wantagh Station Rehabilitation Project. The Babylon branch is our busiest line and we are investing in these improvements to better serve our customers.”

The Wantagh Station project also features a permanent public art project under the MTA Arts & Design Program. MTA Arts & Design selected artist Marc Dennis’ proposal for a colored art glass scenes depicting an idyllic day at nearby Jones Beach decorating waiting room windows. Colorful and realistic paintings of birds, beachgoers, sunsets, seashells and fish will be translated into glass for the completed artwork. In addition, mosaic panels at stairways will highlight ocean waves and the shoreline.

Fortunato Sons Contracting, a fourth generation family enterprise, is no stranger to the Long Island Rail Road having completed two other LIRR projects in recent years, the Massapequa Station platform rehabilitation and the construction of the LIRR’s new train wash facility in Babylon.
Next stop, Willoughby
~Jeff Smith (fka "Sarge") :: RAILROAD.NET Site Administrator
Jeff Smith
Site Admin

Postby pineywoodsman » Mon Apr 04, 2016 2:30 am

Of course! What about the Hicksville Station? Seems they are only focused on the Babylon Branch these days. If I could live there I would, but I can't. Wantagh is my hometown, probably give my pinky finger up to be able to move back..... :P
They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.

— Benjamin Franklin
pineywoodsman

Postby Crabman1130 » Mon Apr 04, 2016 9:59 am

pineywoodsman wrote:Of course! What about the Hicksville Station? Seems they are only focused on the Babylon Branch these days. If I could live there I would, but I can't. Wantagh is my hometown, probably give my pinky finger up to be able to move back..... :P

IIRC there is a planned renovation for Hicksville.

http://www.railroad.net/forums/viewtopic.php?f=63&t=158988
Crabman1130

Postby workextra » Mon Apr 04, 2016 2:56 pm

There are plans in the works for Hicksville and the work albeit on the non passenger useable portions of the project has begun. They have already removed the east end of Atlantic pipe and are preparing the work to Widen the embankment to accommodate the 3rd track. They also made work done by the first crossing west of Hicksville.

The necessary project requires a few weeds and trees to die for the benefit of mainline passengers.
The weeds and trees will adventually grow back and begin Havic in the fall.
Let's make a separate topic if there is not one already for Hicksville.
Either way that 1960s work looks like crap and is a sore thumb in any neighborhood.

As for wantagh the MTA has posted stuff on thei site about it.
workextra

Postby bellstbarn » Thu Apr 07, 2016 9:15 am

ImageWantagh LIRR by sphoto33, on Flickr

Give us an N, an S, an O, an A, and a nice big A! A November, 2015, photo by Frank shows that the letters on the north side are intact. This photo shows the beating our communities get from weather off the ocean. South-facing facades get the brunt, as recently observed at St. Agnes Cathedral, Rockville Centre.
What is shown in the photo above would be in the east six cars of a twelve-car train. If the work is divided 6+6, as was done at Seaford and Massapequa, the dividing wall might be near the top of the escalator.

ImageWantagh Preservation Society by sphoto33, on Flickr

Inside the street-level waiting room is a marvelous display posted by the Wantagh Preservation Society.

ImageWantagh Preservation Society by sphoto33, on Flickr
bellstbarn

Postby nyandw » Fri Apr 08, 2016 11:37 pm

And the south facing side has the year long sun exposure that affects structures differing from the north side.
nyandw

Postby bellstbarn » Sat Apr 23, 2016 3:13 pm

This afternoon, Saturday, April 23, 2016, crews are fencing street-level areas near Beech Street, Wantagh. An employee said the east end of the platform will be reconstructed first. The fenced area includes the triangular park at Beach St. and Railroad Avenue and adjacent areas close to and under the trestle.

bellstbarn

PreviousNext

Return to Long Island Rail Road (LIRR)