Massapequa and Wantagh Station Renovations

Discussion of the past and present operations of the Long Island Rail Road.

Moderator: Liquidcamphor

Re: Massapequa and Wantagh Station Renovations

Postby MattAmity90 » Tue Dec 26, 2017 5:37 pm

I think the pneumatic drill into the concrete was to fix that water crack issue (You can see water on the platform), and put in the circuitry for the lights. I've never seen three exhaust vents for a staircase entrance, and judging from the color of the canopies in order going Eastbound it will be Wantagh (Blue), Seaford (Red), then Massapequa (Green).

The station looks beautiful, and to think that the last time I stood on that platform it was warped, bumpy, cracked, and corroded!
This station is Babylon, this is the train to Penn Station. Stopping at: Lindenhurst, Copiague, Amityville, Massapequa Park, Massapequa, Seaford, Wantagh, Bellmore, Merrick, Freeport, Baldwin, Rockville Centre, Lynbrook, Valley Stream, Jamaica, Kew Gardens, Forest Hills, Woodside, Penn Station.
MattAmity90

Postby bellstbarn » Thu Feb 08, 2018 4:57 pm

The Seaford Herald-Citizen that arrived today has a front-page story above freezing weather causing problems on the east half of the Wantagh platform. Surprising to me, the explanation involves the pipes being placed in the platform to keep snow melting! I had no idea that LIRR platforms were heated; my toes never noticed. Could the new system involve circulating warm water, and it is these very pipes that failed during the past few weeks of freezing temps? I'm puzzled.
---
The article also states that the new escalator will be wider than the current one.
bellstbarn

Postby MattAmity90 » Thu Feb 08, 2018 5:26 pm

How far along have they come with installing light fixtures, signs, and railing? I already know they fixed the issue with water in the platform (it was near the elevator), and that the canopies are up.
This station is Babylon, this is the train to Penn Station. Stopping at: Lindenhurst, Copiague, Amityville, Massapequa Park, Massapequa, Seaford, Wantagh, Bellmore, Merrick, Freeport, Baldwin, Rockville Centre, Lynbrook, Valley Stream, Jamaica, Kew Gardens, Forest Hills, Woodside, Penn Station.
MattAmity90

Postby JamesRR » Fri Feb 09, 2018 9:34 am

bellstbarn wrote:The Seaford Herald-Citizen that arrived today has a front-page story above freezing weather causing problems on the east half of the Wantagh platform. Surprising to me, the explanation involves the pipes being placed in the platform to keep snow melting! I had no idea that LIRR platforms were heated; my toes never noticed. Could the new system involve circulating warm water, and it is these very pipes that failed during the past few weeks of freezing temps? I'm puzzled.
---

I believe they did this at Hicksville too during the recent renovation.
JamesRR

Postby troffey » Sat Feb 10, 2018 5:04 pm

bellstbarn wrote:The Seaford Herald-Citizen that arrived today has a front-page story above freezing weather causing problems on the east half of the Wantagh platform. Surprising to me, the explanation involves the pipes being placed in the platform to keep snow melting! I had no idea that LIRR platforms were heated; my toes never noticed. Could the new system involve circulating warm water, and it is these very pipes that failed during the past few weeks of freezing temps? I'm puzzled.
---
The article also states that the new escalator will be wider than the current one.

These radiant heat/snow melt systems usually use a glycol based solution (similar to antifreeze) to keep the concrete warm enough for snow and ice to melt. However, they're often tested using water, and can also collect water during construction as they're exposed to the elements until the concrete is poured. Sounds like for one reason or another water was in the pipes and froze. If the piping burst, they would have to chip out the concrete, fix the break(s) and re-pour concrete before the platform would be complete.
troffey

Previous

Return to Long Island Rail Road (LIRR)