The East Side Access Project Discussion (ESA)

Discussion of the past and present operations of the Long Island Rail Road.

Moderator: Liquidcamphor

Re: The East Side Access Project Discussion (ESA)

Postby SRich » Thu Feb 28, 2019 2:57 pm

Backshophoss wrote:LIRR is heading to "Go/No Go" type wayside signals at control points and interlockings and full time use of ASC/ACSES with Cab Signals.
following MN.

Except for harold interlocking?

And i use also nordvpn
Greatings from the Netherlands
SRich

Postby Backshophoss » Thu Feb 28, 2019 8:31 pm

Harold is shared with Amtrak and LIRR,should be changing over to Amtrak's color light signal standards in the interlocking limits.
Some of those signals were installed on the old Mainline cutoff trackage,track now abandoned in place.
Backshophoss

Postby Head-end View » Thu Feb 28, 2019 10:14 pm

New color-light signals are now in operation as far east as the signal bridge right above Queens Blvd, where the Port Wash. Branch splits off from the Main-Line, east of Woodside. I don't think there are still any position-light signals west of that point.
Head-end View

Postby jcpatten » Sun Mar 03, 2019 6:25 pm

The MTA Capital Construction Mega Project Flickr account https://www.flickr.com/photos/mtacc-esa/albums has shown a lot of work at Harold Interlocking, including new track and switches. I don't know the area well enough to tell where these new tracks are. It doesn't seem like there's enough open space there to put any new tracks.

It would appear that a track is being put in for the Amtrak Westbound bypass, at least for a portion of it. However it's my understanding that the tunnel under the two inbound lines hit a snag, so the bypass track can't go too far.

There's also a large space where two tracks are going in. I don't see any catenary overhead, so it must be LIRR east bound tracks.

It would be nice if someone on this board took video from the front window (or a side window if that gives a better view) and posted it to Youtube! :-D
jcpatten

Postby SRich » Thu Mar 07, 2019 12:06 pm

Thnx for the link. Nice pictures where posted there. I guess that for the harold interlocking the pictures are from the MTA side and Amtrak side?
Greatings from the Netherlands
SRich

Postby Backshophoss » Thu Mar 07, 2019 7:52 pm

Both Amtrak and LIRR provide crews to do some of the work at Harold,There's a contractor handling some of the trackwork,
Amtrak ET crews are doing the Cat pole construction and building new/moving existing catenary wires as needed,
as are LIRR ET crews building new/moving existing 3rd rail as needed.
Both Amtrak and LIRR C&S crews handle signal cutovers to PSCC.
Both Amtrak and LIRR track crews handle track change overs to new track or temporary track as construction progresses.
Backshophoss

Postby ConstanceR46 » Wed Mar 13, 2019 12:39 pm

The old Yard A's platforms have been put in, ballast has been spread, and now there's a string of Amtrak Track machines and a couple lengths of CWR.

It's hapoening.
ConstanceR46

Previous

Return to Long Island Rail Road (LIRR)