HICKSVILLE-RONKONKOMA ELECTRIFICATION 1987-2007 20 YEARS!

Discussion of the past and present operations of the Long Island Rail Road.

Moderator: Liquidcamphor

Re: HICKSVILLE-RONKONKOMA ELECTRIFICATION 1987-2007 20 YEARS

Postby BuddR32 » Sat Jan 20, 2018 5:02 pm

There's 20+ M3 cars that are permanently out of service. A pair has already been sent to an Ohio scrapyard.

and yes 9775 is in use as E775 sandite/alcohol.
BuddR32

Postby Head-end View » Sat Jan 20, 2018 9:40 pm

Then there are approx. 154 M-3's remaining in-service? Is that correct?
Head-end View

Postby MattAmity90 » Sat Jan 20, 2018 10:25 pm

Head-end View wrote:Then there are approx. 154 M-3's remaining in-service? Is that correct?

As far as I'm concerned of the 174 M3's made, at the maximum 154 are still in use. He said 20+ so that has me thinking that the number is less than 150 maybe 140 that are still in service. The M1 car that was damaged, I didn't know it hit a crane, I don't recall that, but a few M1 cars were destroyed in the late 1980's when a diesel from Port Jefferson hit a flatbed truck at the Park Avenue crossing just East of Huntington, knocking them off the linear storage track where one ended up looking like it was peeled by a can opener.
This station is Babylon, this is the train to Penn Station. Stopping at: Lindenhurst, Copiague, Amityville, Massapequa Park, Massapequa, Seaford, Wantagh, Bellmore, Merrick, Freeport, Baldwin, Rockville Centre, Lynbrook, Valley Stream, Jamaica, Kew Gardens, Forest Hills, Woodside, Penn Station.
MattAmity90

Postby R36 Combine Coach » Mon Jan 22, 2018 1:41 am

The bottom line is that electrification became a victim of its own success and required added capacity. Had the Main Line been double tracked in 1986-88 and wired with third rail at the same time, it could have been the winning ticket in capital projects.
Since my friend continues to chain smoke nonstop, she is probably an Alco.
R36 Combine Coach

Postby MattAmity90 » Mon Jan 22, 2018 4:47 am

R36 Combine Coach wrote:The bottom line is that electrification became a victim of its own success and required added capacity. Had the Main Line been double tracked in 1986-88 and wired with third rail at the same time, it could have been the winning ticket in capital projects.

During the electrification, they actually double tracked three distinct areas of the line. They double-tracked from JS West of Deer Park to BRENT just East of Brentwood, CI1 to CI2 to the West and East of Central Islip, and finally at Ronkonkoma itself. At the time they were also double-tracking from AMOTT in between Syosset and Cold Spring Harbor all the way to just West of Huntington.

I wonder if I will see an electrification project happen in my lifetime? Most likely it would be the Central Branch, or from Babylon to Patchogue or even to Speonk.
This station is Babylon, this is the train to Penn Station. Stopping at: Lindenhurst, Copiague, Amityville, Massapequa Park, Massapequa, Seaford, Wantagh, Bellmore, Merrick, Freeport, Baldwin, Rockville Centre, Lynbrook, Valley Stream, Jamaica, Kew Gardens, Forest Hills, Woodside, Penn Station.
MattAmity90

Re: HICKSVILLE-RONKONKOMA ELECTRIFICATION 1987-2017 30 YEARS

Postby MACTRAXX » Mon Jan 22, 2018 3:18 pm

R36 Combine Coach wrote:The bottom line is that electrification became a victim of its own success and required added capacity. Had the Main Line been double tracked in 1986-88 and wired with third rail at the same time, it could have been the winning ticket in capital projects.

R36: As I have mentioned previously about this subject the MTA had two choices with the amount
of funding that they had available back in the middle 1980s: Fully double track from Republic to
Ronkonkoma and retain diesel service -or- the electrification of the route along with the added
passing sidings as we have known the route for the past 30 years. The MTA made the right
choice then with what resources that they had.

The 174 M3 cars were not just to be for the Hicksville-Ronkonkoma Electrification - they were to
add on to the MU fleet to address a steady increase in ridership in much of the LIRR electrified
territory - and perhaps that even included the thought of a Huntington-Port Jefferson extension.

This topic has strayed too far off its original Hicksville-Ronkonkoma Electrification subject.
Let's get back "on track"...MACTRAXX
EXPRESS TRAIN TO NEW YORK PENN STATION-NO JAMAICA ON THIS TRAIN-PLEASE STAND CLEAR OF THE CLOSING TRAIN DOORS
MACTRAXX

Previous

Return to Long Island Rail Road (LIRR)