How to protest the proposed photo ban

Discussion of the past and present operations of the Long Island Rail Road.

Moderator: Liquidcamphor

How to protest the proposed photo ban

Postby Diverging Route » Sun May 23, 2004 6:53 pm

If it passes, the LIRR (and all MTA agencies) will impose a photo ban. Here's my idea on how to best protest it:

Have EVERY rider bring a camera, and take pictures. Engineers and conductors will be calling in "suspicious persons" around the clock. The radio waves will be swamped. The police will have too many frivolous events to deal with. Eventually, the powers-that-be will get the message.

Same for the MNRR, NYC Subway, Amtrak...

EVERY RIDER NEEDS TO BE A RAILFAN! OVERWHELM THE SYSTEM!
Diverging Route

Postby DutchRailnut » Sun May 23, 2004 7:50 pm

Civil disobedience is not the answer, anyone arrested for such an event would have a police record for life.
if anything sign the petition and get in touch with your Congressman/Senator and let them know about the petition.
I just spend my Sunday sending a letter to 4 Federal officials and Goveror Pataki.
If Conductors are in charge, why are they promoted to be Engineer???

Retired Triebfahrzeugführer
DutchRailnut

Postby jayrmli » Sun May 23, 2004 11:14 pm

This is also a subject I'm sure the ACLU would like to take up as well.

Jay
jayrmli

Postby sodusbay » Mon May 24, 2004 1:29 am

So, DutchRailNut, Rosa Parks was wrong to disobey a racist law, and Martin Luther King Jr. was wrong to support her by illegally boycotting downtown Montgomery businesses? The law is always an instrument of the powerful; if we're lucky it represents a consensus among the citizens but this is by no means always the case. I wonder how far the civil rights movement would have gotten with letters to their congressmen.
sodusbay

Postby tp49 » Mon May 24, 2004 1:49 am

They'll be having fun this summer with the groups of teenagers taking pictures of themselves on the train on the way to the city the resources will be strecthed to the limit.
tp49

MTA says "NO!" but AMTRAK says "NO, but PLEAS

Postby Diverging Route » Mon May 24, 2004 8:37 am

Take a look at this week's edition of Destination:Freedom:
http://www.nationalcorridors.org/df/df05242004.shtml

The May 24 edition of D:F's two lead articles, "Homeland Security orders Amtrak, commuter rails, to increase security," and "Civil liberties questions: Some commuter railroads ban photography on their property" -- display a 'restricting signal' to we railfan photographers.

But then I had to laugh when I read later in the issue, "‘Picture our train’ Amtrak launches 2005 wall calendar photo contest." Perhaps Amtrak's disclaimer should include, "Amtrak will not be liable for bail..."
Diverging Route

Postby N340SG » Mon May 24, 2004 9:52 am

Diverging Route,

LOL..That's too funny. You can't make this stuff up!!

Tom
N340SG

Return to Long Island Rail Road (LIRR)