Weekend dual modes on the Port Jeff branch

Discussion of the past and present operations of the Long Island Rail Road.

Moderator: Liquidcamphor

Weekend dual modes on the Port Jeff branch

Postby RestrictOnTheHanger » Thu Nov 22, 2018 10:12 am

I don't remember seeing this before, looks like 2 round trips on weekends from Port Jeff have been turned into DM trips to Penn.

Trains 6607 and 6609 (8:44am and 10:13am) from Port Jeff now make all stops to Huntington, wait there for about 10 minutes, then proceed to Penn with the normal weekend stopping patterns west of Huntington.

Those then turn for 6656 and 6658 (2:55pm and 4:25pm) from Penn doing the same thing in reverse.

How successful are these runs? Is it temporary for the holiday season or is this a permanent change?
RestrictOnTheHanger

Re: Weekend dual modes on the Port Jeff branch

Postby gamer4616 » Thu Nov 22, 2018 5:48 pm

I don't see it being permanent. The equipment is needed in the summer for Montauk service.
gamer4616

Postby workextra » Thu Nov 22, 2018 7:34 pm

It’s a test for this timetable and if it works out well will likely be permanent in the off season. As the LIRR has many years too late realized that they are not getting the most out of the DMs.
It’s absokutely foolish to have them sit cold for the weekend when they could make a regularly schedule run.
Hopefully one day they will let them run w/o an MU connection time delay in UN. And rather as a passenger express, all stops to Hicksville, Jamaica, New York.
In the summer season unless they buy or lease other equipment this will not be an option.
workextra

Postby SwingMan » Fri Nov 23, 2018 2:12 am

What's funny is the MUs that they run in place of are now non-revenue equipment trains.

In a perfect world those trains would be local cleanup trains to the DMs, which should really be limited stop express trains after Hicksville the same way Montauk/Speonk/Patchogue trains are express after Babylon.

It's not just about how full the trains get, it's also how quick they can actually make that run to where it actually benefits the riders east of Huntington the same way those east of Babylon are treated.

I think the big objective should be to get more through service on the Port Jefferson Branch, whether it's a DM like these are or just more through trains to Jamaica. Especially in the school season, the Stony Brook University loads on Sundays for example could be greatly shifted if there were more thru trains from Jamaica. The South Shore has always gotten the service, but no one has batted an eye to the Port Jefferson Branch and the Main Line in general.

The railroad needs more positive changes like this one, something that is logical to every party involved.
SwingMan

Postby njt/mnrrbuff » Fri Nov 23, 2018 7:55 am

While I welcome those two weekend direct trains to Pt. Jefferson, I don’t understand why they have to sit at Huntington Station for 7-10 minutes. If they are direct and making the same stops west of Huntington as a regular electric train on that line, don’t add time at Huntington. This is just like a NJT NJCL Express train heading to Bay Head spending extra time in Long Branch on the timetable as indicated.
njt/mnrrbuff

Postby scopelliti » Fri Nov 23, 2018 5:11 pm

Could the imposed delay be because of arrival slot availability at Jamaica or possibly Penn?
Pat
scopelliti

Postby braves » Sat Nov 24, 2018 3:58 am

I hope that they do this for the Montauk Branch on weekends as well.
braves

Return to Long Island Rail Road (LIRR)