Westbury & the LIRR

Discussion of the past and present operations of the Long Island Rail Road.

Moderator: Liquidcamphor

Westbury & the LIRR

Postby REM3Night » Fri Oct 19, 2018 4:11 pm

For those interested a presentation: The Historical Society of the Westburys presents Westbury and the Long Island Railroad, Sunday. October 21 at 2:30 PM at the Westbury Memorial Public Library, 445 Rockland Street, Westbury. It's free.
It covers the LIRR from its beginnings to present and how it affected Westbury and Carle Place - with some interesting/odd incidents.
REM3Night

Re: Westbury & the LIRR

Postby Teutobergerwald » Fri Oct 19, 2018 11:33 pm

I remember the freight dept. of the LIRR served a customer just east of the station that received reefers or boxcars. Does the NYA serve that same customer now? I forget it's name. Thanks.
Searching for the eagles of the XVII,XVIII & XIX Legions in Germania.
Teutobergerwald

Postby krispy » Sat Oct 20, 2018 7:10 am

On #1 track between Divide and Nassau was Jamaica Ash, but I can't remember the last time they were served. It should've been within the start of the NYA era. Also, on #2 is the Westbury team track but all I recall was the rare Main. of Way move.
krispy

Postby Head-end View » Sat Oct 20, 2018 7:26 pm

I remember seeing reefers and boxcars years ago on that siding on the south side of the tracks, but I don't remember the customer's name.
Head-end View

Postby nyandw » Sun Oct 21, 2018 12:04 am

Head-end View wrote:I remember seeing reefers and boxcars years ago on that siding on the south side of the tracks, but I don't remember the customer's name.

Country Life Frozen Foods and Budweiser Warehouse
nyandw

Postby Morisot » Sun Oct 21, 2018 1:23 am

I remember a tiny spur that served (actually served!) the lumber yard that pre-dated Jamaica Ash. And someone else remembers a spur that served (Hicks') coal yard where the Bristal is now located (west of Post Avenue/south of the tracks.)
Morisot

Postby nyandw » Sun Oct 21, 2018 2:22 am

Morisot wrote:I remember a tiny spur that served (actually served!) the lumber yard that pre-dated Jamaica Ash. And someone else remembers a spur that served (Hicks') coal yard where the Bristal is now located (west of Post Avenue/south of the tracks.)

Dykes Lumber north side east of station. Westbury Coal Co. west of Post Ave. south side.
nyandw

Postby FrankAndCindy » Sun Oct 21, 2018 12:26 pm

Hello Crispy, The siding was just east of Westbury station. The siding was Allied Cold Storage. Trailing switch off number two track.
FrankAndCindy

Postby Head-end View » Sun Oct 21, 2018 7:50 pm

I also remember the remnants of the siding for the Hicks Westbury Coal Yard. South side immediately west of the Post Ave. bridge.
Head-end View

Westbury - ID the location?

Postby nyandw » Tue Oct 23, 2018 11:54 pm

Hi Folks, Well you provided the motivation to do a Westbury webpage: http://www.trainsarefun.com/lirr/Westbury/Westbury.htm
Some interesting material. Perhaps you can assist with this one labeled East of Westbury. "It appears" the Carle Place water tower is in the far distance. Anyone recognize the location and building/business off to the right? Thank you. I believe it is west of Westbury.
Attachments
Westbury_RS3_1551_9-6-59.jpg
Westbury - RS3 #1551 east of Westbury 9/06/1959
Archive: Dave Morrison
Westbury-station_Kelsey-store_1878_(Brainerd-Morrison).jpg
Westbury Station - Kelsey's Store 1878 (Brainerd-Morrison)
Station-Westbury with horsecar for Roosevelt Raceway.jpg
Westbury Station with horse car for Roosevelt Raceway at left. Horse cars used this location for loading/unloading of horses for the racetrack; c.1950. Archive: Dave Keller
nyandw

Postby REM3Night » Thu Oct 25, 2018 4:59 pm

nyandw wrote:Hi Folks, Well you provided the motivation to do a Westbury webpage: http://www.trainsarefun.com/lirr/Westbury/Westbury.htm
Some interesting material. Perhaps you can assist with this one labeled East of Westbury. "It appears" the Carle Place water tower is in the far distance. Anyone recognize the location and building/business off to the right? Thank you. I believe it is west of Westbury.

I have another photo from 1970 with LIRR 1551 taken at school Street with the same power poles (and the one with the slanted line). All of the buildings have been replaced, mostly with Jamaica Ash. I'm not sure why the siding does not show up in the photo - maybe it is just out of view to the left?
I would post the photo but I no longer use a photo site.
REM3Night

Postby nyandw » Thu Oct 25, 2018 5:52 pm

REM3Night wrote:
nyandw wrote:Hi Folks, Well you provided the motivation to do a Westbury webpage: http://www.trainsarefun.com/lirr/Westbury/Westbury.htm

I have another photo from 1970 with LIRR 1551 taken at school Street with the same power poles (and the one with the slanted line). All of the buildings have been replaced, mostly with Jamaica Ash. I'm not sure why the siding does not show up in the photo - maybe it is just out of view to the left?
I would post the photo but I no longer use a photo site.

Try loading it up as a file using upload below. :-)
nyandw

Postby nyandw » Fri Oct 26, 2018 9:51 pm

I'm thinking we are looking west from Ellison Ave, east of Carlle Place station with the water tower in the far background.
Attachments
Westbury_RS3_1551_9-6-59.jpg
nyandw

Postby MACTRAXX » Fri Oct 26, 2018 10:58 pm

Steve:
This picture - judging by the distance that the Carle Place water tower is - looks to be from just
east of Westbury Station. From Ellison Avenue to the Carle Place Station is just half a mile - the
water tower would appear to be larger in the background instead of how it appears in this photo.
MACTRAXX
EXPRESS TRAIN TO NEW YORK PENN STATION-NO JAMAICA ON THIS TRAIN-PLEASE STAND CLEAR OF THE CLOSING TRAIN DOORS
MACTRAXX

Postby nyandw » Fri Oct 26, 2018 11:41 pm

MACTRAXX wrote:Steve:
This picture - judging by the distance that the Carle Place water tower is - looks to be from just
east of Westbury Station. From Ellison Avenue to the Carle Place Station is just half a mile - the
water tower would appear to be larger in the background instead of how it appears in this photo.
MACTRAXX

Yes, the problem I'm having is the lack of a track south of track #2. Are we past MP22 and just west of Grand Blvd? Thus, east of Westbury about 1.5 miles form Carlle Place. This would seem reasonable, yes? Thanks.
nyandw

Next

Return to Long Island Rail Road (LIRR)