How many M-7's are out of service due to derailments

Discussion of the past and present operations of the Long Island Rail Road.

Moderator: Liquidcamphor

How many M-7's are out of service due to derailments

Postby johndill » Tue Aug 07, 2018 11:47 am

Does anyone have any idea how many M-7's are lost due to derailments and accidents? 2 of the 3 recent derailments were M-7's. At best 2 consists were lost for a bit. I know there were 2 previous derailments and the incident at Atlantic terminal that probably took cars out for a long while. I ask because there is a plague of short trains lately. Probably most are out due to problems with AC but the M-7's seem to have had a bit of bad luck
thanks
johndill

Re: How many M-7's are out of service due to derailments

Postby DutchRailnut » Tue Aug 07, 2018 1:37 pm

just because a car derailed does not mean its lost, a car that traveled xx of feet on ground is removed from service till wheels are replaced.
don't have it written off yet, it will be back.
If Conductors are in charge, why are they promoted to be Engineer???

Retired Triebfahrzeugführer
DutchRailnut

Postby DogBert » Tue Aug 07, 2018 9:47 pm

There are at least 6 long term out of service at Arch Street, most of which will need some work beyond just new sets of wheels.

Only two cars were damaged in last week's Harold derailment, they were pulled back to Jamaica by an MP15. The rest of the train left under its own power.
DogBert

Postby BuddR32 » Wed Aug 08, 2018 2:31 am

About 12 M7 are considered not usable because of rather substantial incidents since the fleets arrival. Usually those dont come back to service, but occasionally after heavy long term repairs, a few might return to service.
BuddR32

Postby EuroStar » Wed Aug 08, 2018 8:28 am

I cannot imagine the cars that were involved in the low speed derailments to be in bad shape. In most cases new wheel or at most a new set of trucks (or an old set of trucks from another damaged car) should do the trick, however these sort of repairs are not high priority for the maintenance department when there are other cars with simpler issues to fix.
EuroStar

Postby johndill » Wed Aug 08, 2018 9:39 am

Thanks. Even if 12 are out it really is a small percentage of the current M-7 fleet. I presume the short trains are due to AC issues or positioning problems due to the recent dealys
johndill

Postby geico » Wed Aug 08, 2018 12:10 pm

1.4% of the 836 m7 fleet is out if its 12 cars. of course there cars offline for other reasons.
geico

Postby R36 Combine Coach » Wed Aug 08, 2018 2:01 pm

12 is a full length train, so basically the railroad is short by a train. And about 30-50? M-3s have been retired or out of service, a sizeable amount of the 174 car fleet.
Since my friend continues to chain smoke nonstop, she is probably an Alco.
R36 Combine Coach

Return to Long Island Rail Road (LIRR)