Kew Gardens Lefferts Avenue stores/bridge

Discussion of the past and present operations of the Long Island Rail Road.

Moderator: Liquidcamphor

Re: Kew Gardens Lefferts Avenue stores/bridge

Postby MACTRAXX » Fri Jun 22, 2018 9:15 pm

Everyone:

Chasing News - Bill Spadea 2/28/2018: Several businesses in peril as Queens bridge deteriorates
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mEVPg0V5YBc
This is another news report about the Lefferts Boulevard bridge problems at KG.

Quoting Workextra: "This is a difficult project in a very dense and opinionated neighborhood"

I agree with the thought completely that one major delay or setback concerning the fate of this
bridge could cause major political problems for the LIRR and its supporters. I note the mention
of "David vs. Goliath" about the store owners vs. the LIRR, MTA and the property manager.
There is NO "winners and losers" here. In this case the tenants may lose their entire business
livelihoods (some already have as shown) if the bridge can not be renovated and it will cost
the MTA and LIRR major money for replacement and to settle any possible lawsuits brought.

This does not even account for a possible shutdown of Main Line service through KG that will
affect again thousands of LIRR commuters each day. Thankfully there are alternate routings
that commuters can use such as expansion of service to Atlantic Terminal, Diesel trains over
the Montauk Branch to Long Island City, added Port Washington Branch service and Subway
service on the E and J trains from Jamaica Station to Midtown and Downtown Manhattan.
But - even with these options the best and most direct way is the Main Line to Penn Station.

MACTRAXX
Last edited by MACTRAXX on Fri Jun 22, 2018 9:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
EXPRESS TRAIN TO NEW YORK PENN STATION-NO JAMAICA ON THIS TRAIN-PLEASE STAND CLEAR OF THE CLOSING TRAIN DOORS
MACTRAXX

Postby Teutobergerwald » Fri Jun 22, 2018 9:57 pm

Dani's Pizza- the go-to pizza place for the NYPD and MTA PD cops working midnights in central Queens. Take a perp to Central Booking at Criminal Court over on QB after midnight and a run over to Dani's is a must. Those were good times.
Searching for the eagles of the XVII,XVIII & XIX Legions in Germania.
Teutobergerwald

Postby MACTRAXX » Sat Jun 23, 2018 5:58 am

Everyone:

With the mention again of Dani's Pizza - a Kew Gardens favorite for many - I will also point out
that in recent years (back during the 2000s I believe) another pizza restaurant opened directly
across the street: Singas Pizza, 81-25 Lefferts Boulevard, KG, NY 11415 (718)805-4700
http://www.singaspizzas.com
Singas Pizza is a regional franchise chain with 15 locations in the New York-New Jersey area.

What I always found interesting is that Singas decided to open a Kew Gardens location here to
compete with Dani's especially knowing their local KG reputation for having great Italian food...

My guess is Singas offering local delivery and taking phone/online orders is probably the way
that they can actually compete with Dani's not offering these services. Anyone who has gone
to Dani's knows that there can be long waits at prime lunch/dinner times which may not be a
problem at Singas with perhaps less demand can offer faster food options...

The area around the vicinity of the Kew Gardens Station has a wide variety of food available
which helps make KG a good place to visit and even better for local residents...MACTRAXX
EXPRESS TRAIN TO NEW YORK PENN STATION-NO JAMAICA ON THIS TRAIN-PLEASE STAND CLEAR OF THE CLOSING TRAIN DOORS
MACTRAXX

Postby adamj023 » Sat Jun 23, 2018 8:44 am

Forest Hills and Kew Gardens are nice communities with beautiful homes near the train tracks which have a short commute to Manhattan making them highly desirable. Ate at Austin’s ale house once. Never been to Dani’s.
adamj023

Postby MACTRAXX » Wed Jul 11, 2018 2:33 pm

Everyone:

This morning (July 11) there was as previously reported in the Forest Hills Post a meeting about the
fate of the Lefferts Boulevard bridge in Kew Gardens at Queens Borough Hall. The local community
board and the affected store owners along with LIRR and MTA representatives attended.

I contacted Queens Borough Hall for information about what I assumed to be an evening meeting
and was told by a staffer that attended the morning presentation that the results were positive.

Good to take note that the bridge repair work will have a reasonable - and funded - cost.
This may well be the best possible outcome for the KG community.
See the FHP news article posted by Norton below...MACTRAXX
Last edited by MACTRAXX on Wed Jul 11, 2018 3:52 pm, edited 3 times in total.
MACTRAXX

Postby Norton » Wed Jul 11, 2018 3:31 pm

Norton

Postby adamj023 » Wed Jul 11, 2018 7:58 pm

I read the news like everyone else. Looks like it was funded already by the community board and no wasteful spending will be done on a study so it is a very positive outcome plus they say it won’t be a long project which is good news for LIRR Commuters.

I guess we will know more in a few months. Probably best outcome for the least amount of time to complete the project and avoids complex legal challenges which could take years even if cash could have been generated by MTA and government with new and larger developmental project.
adamj023

Previous

Return to Long Island Rail Road (LIRR)