Hamburger Choo-Choo Restaurant

Discussion of the past and present operations of the Long Island Rail Road.

Moderator: Liquidcamphor

Hamburger Choo-Choo Restaurant

Postby granton junction » Thu May 03, 2018 9:48 am

Does anybody remember the Hamburger Choo-Choo Restaurant in Patchogue? I think that it was on Main St. Food was delivered to your counter seat by Lionel train.
granton junction

Re: Hamburger Choo-Choo Restaurant

Postby 452 Card » Thu May 03, 2018 4:24 pm

The only HBCC I know of was in Huntington, which I went to just before the fire. If there was one in Patchogue, I don't recall it, and I lived there from 1958 to 2006.
Wheelslip! Back to the Barn.
MOTEL
452 Card

Postby MARKON » Fri May 04, 2018 6:36 am

Wasn't there one in Garden City - mid 60's - 7th St? . Remember fondly as a toddler going there prior to a lap around the adjacent BOHACKs .
Mark O
Bellmore, NY
MARKON

Postby RGlueck » Fri May 04, 2018 10:38 am

Hamburger Choo Choo was a main stay in Huntington. I only ate there once. Burgers were served on a Lionel train pulled by a steamer or some unknown arrangement. I remember it as being terribly greasy, plagued by derailments, and not particularly fun. It was unique and a bit of a legend.

I didn't know the place had burned, but you've got to watch those steamer, throwing sparks to the tall grass at trackside!
RGlueck

Postby frankie » Mon May 14, 2018 10:02 pm

Believe it or not, the restaurant has it's own Facebook page. For those interested, go ahead and dive in and enjoy a bit of culinary nostalgia.

Choo-Choo!

https://www.facebook.com/groups/233648189813/about/
Mineola, NY is my real home, however I live 60 miles from Mineola, MO. No LIRR here!
frankie

Postby jayrmli » Tue May 22, 2018 6:56 am

The building in Huntongton that housed the Hamburger Choo Choo at last check was a Japanese hibachi restaurant called Tomo. Last I was in the village, they closed and the building is waiting a new tenant.
Check out my website about railfanning in the Northeast!

http://www.northeastrailfans.com
jayrmli

Postby railfaned » Tue May 22, 2018 8:49 am

In the 50's I lived in Astoria, and for a short time on Steinway St there was also a location there. I ate there twice. The first time they used the Lionel trains to bring the food along the counter, but the next time they wouldn't use it. Shortly after that, the location closed up.
ED,
40 year commuter-railfan and model railroader,
Ex-Long Islander
railfaned

Return to Long Island Rail Road (LIRR)