East Williston station

Discussion of the past and present operations of the Long Island Rail Road.

Moderator: Liquidcamphor

East Williston station

Postby newkirk » Thu Feb 15, 2018 4:23 pm

February 1982 photo. What was the real reason why this station was demolished ? I heard it was unstable and couldn't be moved if preservation was a last resort. Thanks to all who reply.

Bill Mangahas (AKA Newkirk Images LLC)
Train to Rockaway Park now boarding on Track 22
newkirk

Re: East Williston station

Postby RGlueck » Thu Feb 15, 2018 5:21 pm

Best explanation I've gotten was the timbers inside were rotted out or weakened by termites and would not support the brick structure if it was lifted.
Even if the building was jacked, the brickwork would have potentially crumbled. Economically, it made no sense to try adding supports.
Whether this is true or bureaucratic bull-poop is know only between a few officials and God. Loss of the station should be justified, as it was an architectural gem, from a better period.
RGlueck

Postby newkirk » Thu Feb 15, 2018 6:40 pm

Thank you RGlueck for your explanation. Such a shame we lost this gem of a station building.
Bill Mangahas (AKA Newkirk Images LLC)
Train to Rockaway Park now boarding on Track 22
newkirk

Postby fender52 » Fri Feb 16, 2018 9:33 am

The station was rotting out and nothing had been done previously to stop it so it just got to that point.

As info, some of the stations along the branch had the same issue with crumbling brickwork. Sea Cliff and Glen Street were prime examples. When I asked about it once, someone told me that the brick that had been used was purchased locally and was not of the highest quality.
fender52

Postby nyandw » Fri Feb 16, 2018 9:05 pm

Sad...RIP Built: c 1880. Agency Closed: 12/10/96 Razed: 12/11/20

East Williston Station Winter painting by Cyril A. Lewis Archive: LIRRailroader newsletter, Dave Morrison

East Williston Station raze "As the dust settles" 12/11/2004 Archive: Dave Morrison
nyandw

Postby RGlueck » Sat Feb 17, 2018 7:15 am

Was anything, particularly the curved wood supports, saved prior to , or after demolition?

What was the interior like? Anything salvaged as history?
RGlueck

Postby fender52 » Sat Feb 17, 2018 8:05 am

The waiting room was tiny with a row of plastic benches and had wall and floor tile that was pretty much the same from the 70's.

The ticket office was the same and was tiny with a small bathroom to the side. You had to push the chair to the desk back to stand up and sell. There was nothing really collectible in those areas.

I don't know if any of the exterior supports were saved. Maybe Dave Morrision knows.
fender52

Postby Head-end View » Sat Feb 17, 2018 9:01 pm

I recall reading that the day of the demolition, as soon as the machine struck the building the first time, the entire structure pretty much collapsed. That's how weak it was.
Head-end View

Postby islanddon » Sun Feb 18, 2018 11:58 am

RGlueck wrote:Was anything, particularly the curved wood supports, saved prior to , or after demolition?

What was the interior like? Anything salvaged as history?

My understanding is that the East Williston library has some of them, but I cannot remember for the life of me where I heard that, so I may be wrong. I remember coming home from college (via Transbridge bus to 42nd Street-Port Authority, A/C/E to NYP, LIRR to East Williston), and the building was gone.
---
Don
islanddon

Return to Long Island Rail Road (LIRR)